Marijuana good or bad?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CinNoMore
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marijuana is neither good or bad. Marijuana is a substance, and substances are morally neutral.
Actions are evaluated as good or evil.

Breaking just civil laws is evil.
Using a God-given substance like marijuana is not evil per se, but can be evil if abused, or if used in opposition to just laws.

Just like alcohol. If alcohol is prohibited as it once was, using alcohol is evil because it breaks a just civil law.
But the alcohol itself is morally neutral.
 
Last edited:
And technically those in states where it is legal are following the law. For people living in those states they’re not breaking the law of their state. This means the issue is more a conflict between state and federal. I live in a legal state. I’m not breaking the law here and no jury would convict me here because the people in the state have decided to change the law democratically.

My intent is to treat my mental health issues, so that I can improve other parts of my life. We need to look at the moral aspect here and see that it’s not as cut and dried as “‘marijuana bad.”
 
Religion is abused too, very often, yes. Not the point of the thread though.
 
That’s precisely the point I was hoping someone would make. The substance themselves are not sinful because sin itself would require intent and will to be (name removed by moderator)uted. What we choose to do with them, that’s where sin can come into play.
 
That’s correct.
It’s a very simple matter and a non-stop source of confusion, especially in this area and the discussion of “birth control”.

We are talking about good and evil. That’s morality. Morality evaluates human acts. Morality is not in the business of condemning substances.
 
To bring in the Bible on the question of whether marijuana use is morally good or bad. Paul condemned drunkenness but not alcohol. He added that we should avoid drunkenness and be filled with the holy spirit. Perhaps we can extend this to say that using marijuana for medical reasons is morally neutral, but if the intent is to get high, reasoning from Paul on drunkenness, then the act is morally bad.
 
Last edited:
Well I suppose that’s a rather pointless thing to do. Recreational and medicinal are linked.
Either you’re 1) using pot because you think it’s fun, 2) you have been prescribed it by a doctor, or 3) you’re self-medicating (a practiced generally recognized as very unsafe practice).

What’s the linkage other than they all involve pot? Morally, which the dimension I’ve been discussing, they are totally different. Are you next going to tell me that people shooting up heroin and me taking morphine for my appendectomy are “linked”?

One can be legal without the other.

My position on medical marijuana? I don’t see why we need it. If there’s anything in pot that helps people then put it in a pill and sell it like every other drug so it can be regulated and the dosage can be monitored. And I get it, pharmaceutical practices aren’t the best right now and expenses are high. That doesn’t mean we should deregulate medication.
 
My intent is to treat my mental health issues, so that I can improve other parts of my life.
Why not try proper pharmaceuticals which are designed to treat specific areas of the brain while preserving functions that allow one to be productive and social? It may take a process of trying different drugs, but mind medicine is really pretty amazing today. Self dosed, marijuana has no neural circuit target. It just results in the repression of all the brains normal functions.
 
Federal law trumps state law. We are supposed to follow just laws. I’m not judging you so you don’t need to convince me. I’m just stating facts. Talk with your priest about it.
 
Because I don’t trust pharmaceuticals and pharmaceutical companies. I’ve been down the road with pharmaceutical grade prescription drugs. They don’t work. These on the other hand do. Also, I don’t have insurance right now. So I would be stuck paying for prescription meds that I can’t afford from a psychiatrist I also cannot afford
 
And I get it, pharmaceutical practices aren’t the best right now and expenses are high. That doesn’t mean we should deregulate medication.
I can’t afford prescription drugs or the psychiatrist that is required to write the script for it. Pharmaceutical practices are the reason some people have been hooked on heroin in very poor parts of the US. None of those companies have any interest in my wellbeing, only whether they can sell me a drug that likely has terrible side effects or is too strong

And for the record the stuff I buy is clearly dosed. I know exactly how much THC is in each edible
 
Last edited:
In Canada, it’s legal.
As a non-Catholic, I do not believe it’s sinful to use it especially for legitimate reasons.
That said, I’m am and was strongly against the legalization of recreational use. The entire process was built on lies from our Liberal government.
Also, some places reeks of that stuff despite my jurisdiction banning its use in public. Worse when windows are opened during hot days. It never happened prior to legalization.
 
Last edited:
None of which is a reason to deregulate medication.

So if medicare for all gets through and it would cost nothing, you’re fine with what I’m suggesting?
 
No, because cannabis does deliver real medicinal help for many patients with things like cancer, depression and epilepsy. Under the current system of drug laws you can’t just take the good things with cannabis and put it into a pill. I think this blind opposition to a form of medicine is baffling. Why not reschedule cannabis so that it can be researched and allow states to decide on the matter? Everyone walks away happy because they’re not forced to give up their position

I know what my intentions are and what I’m trying to do. I’m simply trying to take care of myself. I could just as easily be prescribed cannabis through my insurance if I had it.
 
Or for that matter why not call alcohol a medicine. If someone claims it helps their anxiety or PTSD then go ahead and prescribe them case whiskey or a truckload of beer.
 
Unfortunately, I can’t say I’ve ever met a single pot smoker that does not idolize the drug, although I still have faith that there’s at least some people out there who don’t. It seems that anyone who initially uses marijuana for medicinal purposes ultimately shifts towards abusing it recreationally for the high, not unlike someone would with other prescription drugs. It seems to more often than not form dependencies, reduce/eliminate one’s faith in God, and of course is mind-altering, so I cannot in good conscious say marijuana is “good”.

I struggle with anxiety and depression. When I’m anxious or feeling depressed, I cast my fears or doubts upon the Lord through prayer and that works wonders, and I always encourage others to do the same. Too many Christians sooner propose someone use a mind-altering drug than form a relationship with God, and I have to question their faith in the Lord.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top