M
Moore11
Guest
I know, I hate that term too. But a friend and I were talking and it was stated that Catholic thought is that there is no “duty” to have relations in a marriage? What are your thoughts?
The term is pretty horrible and a bit tendency to the male side. After all, priests are males who understand better the male side of the question.I know, I hate that term too. But a friend and I were talking and it was stated that Catholic thought is that there is no “duty” to have relations in a marriage? What are your thoughts?
I agree – it’s a pretty callous way to approach it.The term is pretty horrible and a bit tendency to the male side. After all, priests are males who understand better the male side of the question.
Catholic teaching is exactly the opposite. Spouses have a grave obligation to fulfill their marital duty towards each other. Withholding relations is grave matter.I know, I hate that term too. But a friend and I were talking and it was stated that Catholic thought is that there is no “duty” to have relations in a marriage? What are your thoughts?
not.The term is pretty horrible and a bit tendency to the male side.
There might be problems for people who have this view. There are also problems for people who do not. It is socially acceptable for a woman to withhold sex from her husband in order to punish or manipulate him. This scenario is often portrayed as humorous in the entertainment media. However, it is gravely wrong and that is what the Catholic Church has always taught.I think that if you (general you, not anyone specific) view making love with your spouse as “marital debt” or a “duty”, then there are issues that need looked at. JMHO
A Mother and a Father have an obligation …a “duty” to care for their children …I think that if you (general you, not anyone specific) view making love with your spouse as “marital debt” or a “duty”, then there are issues that need looked at. JMHO
Add to this the list of job duties that your boss gave you when you were hired… and our duty to our country…A Mother and a Father have an obligation …a “duty” to care for their children …
We also have an obligation …to go to Mass on Sundays and Holy Days…
etc etc
Lots of obligations in life that --yes–we normally do not --look at so much as “obligations”…duties
Such does not remove the fact that they are.
Indeed Jesus tells us – a new commandment I give you…love one another.
Very good explanation! :clapping:A Mother and a Father have an obligation …a “duty” to care for their children …
We also have an obligation …to go to Mass on Sundays and Holy Days…
etc etc
Lots of obligations in life that --yes–we normally do not --look at so much as “obligations”…duties
Such does not remove the fact that they are.
Indeed Jesus tells us – a new commandment I give you…love one another.
What “moore” are you looking for?These responses are helpful. Keep em coming!