Marriage hurt by pornography

  • Thread starter Thread starter Marguerite17
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marguerite17

Guest
My husband is a recovering pornography addict. It has severely damaged our marriage, and I often feel hopeless that we’ll ever have a happy marriage again. He’s doing his part, praise God, but my pain is still deep. I have two questions:
  1. For the husbands out there who have been in the same boat, maybe you can shed some light on this one. I keep hearing (from counselors, etc.) that my husband’s pornography use had nothing to do with me, that it wasn’t a reaction to the way I look (or don’t look), that he wasn’t comparing me to all those women, but that makes no sense to me. It seems like if he loved me, if I’d been sufficient for him, he would not have done this. So for the husbands who have been there … can you explain what went on in your heads? I just don’t get it.
  2. For wives who have forgiven … please tell me a success story! Anything. Tell me something hopeful. Is it possible to recover from this? How did you do it?
 
Sorry, I don’t have anything to contribute except that I also really want to know the answer to number 1!
 
My husband is a recovering pornography addict. It has severely damaged our marriage, and I often feel hopeless that we’ll ever have a happy marriage again. He’s doing his part, praise God, but my pain is still deep. I have two questions:
  1. For the husbands out there who have been in the same boat, maybe you can shed some light on this one. I keep hearing (from counselors, etc.) that my husband’s pornography use had nothing to do with me, that it wasn’t a reaction to the way I look (or don’t look), that he wasn’t comparing me to all those women, but that makes no sense to me. It seems like if he loved me, if I’d been sufficient for him, he would not have done this. So for the husbands who have been there … can you explain what went on in your heads? I just don’t get it.
  2. For wives who have forgiven … please tell me a success story! Anything. Tell me something hopeful. Is it possible to recover from this? How did you do it?
St. Paul mentions that if one has strong desires and cannot remain single as he was, then it would be best if the man married. What is that saying to us? That a man is born with great drives within him just in virture of being a man. Some have this desire more than another just because they are human. It is nothing anyone did to them or didn’t do for them, it is just that they are a man and have these desires. And so a desire is fulfilled by allowing it to go to the imagination with enjoyment. It doesn’t mean that they are in love or care for the image in their imagination, but just the pleasure of experiencing human enjoyment thu these images. At this point it has nothing to do with love but with pleasure. It isn’t necessarily personalized, in fact if anything, it is depersonalized.

Now of course this type of pleasure is wrong. But your primary interest is why and not immorality.

The second why is why isn’t his spouse good enough. I can only say what I know. Some men feel that their spouses are not sensitive to their needs and feel awkward and a certain fear of refusal. So it is easier to get around these problems by not asking. Sometimes they lose their desire for their spouses because of their appearances or other reasons, such as not understanding them in their work, or how they handle the kids, the male ego. These are just a few.

In all fairness, it is the husband’s fault for allowing himself liberties which should be curtailed or abandoned altogether that will affect his affections he has for his wife. He should conserve his
thoughts for his wife and not allow freedom in this area.

I hope this will not hurt anyone, but I too feel you should know something of the nature of the things you are dealing with.

Please forgive your husbands. They know they were wrong and have done damage. Work with them and you may find even a stronger marriage.

Just a few thoughts.
 
Hi Marguerite,

I’m sorry to hear about what’s happened in your marriage. I, unfortunately, encountered the same thing a few years ago. My husband got into porn (Playboy & things) when he was a teenager, and it escalated into an internet porn addiction when that became widely available. By the time we were married, he was securely attached to porn. It went from porn, to viewing dating ads, to responding to Craigslist prostitutes. All of which I had no idea about. After all, he is a Christian man so I never even thought about it.

When I found out about everything, I was devastated. We separated for a few weeks. We had a young son. It was hard. Through counseling, I found out that he was addicted to online porn. Although he never had physical relations with other women, the hurt was the same. What worked for us, is that he quit using the computer. I really don’t think most men with an internet porn addiction can control themselves with unfettered access to the internet. There were restrictions on use. If he needed to use the computer for online banking, or other things, I had to be in the room when it happened. He admitted that it was hard to break out of this habit, but after a few weeks, it was ok. I also let him know that while I understand the pull pornography has had on him, if he were to get caught looking at porn or responding to adult friend finder again it’d be a permanent separation he’d be dealing with.

We also had a lot of support from family, along with counseling from his church. It was easy to be mad at him. I was very mad. But the counseling helped me to realize the struggle that men today go through. It starts with porn mags in high school, and escalates quickly.

For awhile, I thought I’d never love him again, or want to be intimate without thinking of the hell that he put me through. But, with what I believe was God’s intervention, we clung to each other. We worked on things and grew together. We ended up having two more children. One conceived shortly after our ordeal. Which doesn’t seem to be a big deal unless you know that we tried for years for our first. I really believe this heartbreak helped save our marriage.

Good luck.

S Elizabeth
 
I keep hearing (from counselors, etc.) that my husband’s pornography use had nothing to do with me, that it wasn’t a reaction to the way I look (or don’t look), that he wasn’t comparing me to all those women,
I’m not sure that I can explain it in a way that would make sense to a woman, but what you have stated here sounds about right, from a man’s perspective.

But I don’t mean to sound like I am excusing your husband’s behavior. Far from it. What he did was terrible, though I hope you understand that it is something that is extremely tempting and extremely addictive.

I think of it this way: I work on a computer all day for my job. Because I work at home, I am alone for most of the time when I am working, with no one else around. At any given time, on any given day, all I would have to do is to type one or two words and make one or two mouse clicks, and I could easily bring up an endless supply of pornography in my web browser.

I firmly believe that it is only through God’s grace, especially the grace that He gives to me and my wife in the sacrament of marriage, that I consistently avoid that temptation. Because the temptation is so great, and the barrier so low, that I can’t see any way that I or any other man can resist it without immense willpower and determination (which I generally don’t have), or by the grace of God. And yet I do resist it.

Look, you wouldn’t invite naked women to parade around in front of your husband, even if you knew that he could (and should) choose to close his eyes, because why put that temptation in front of him unnecessarily? And yet a man can view pornography on the internet almost as easily as he could view a naked woman standing in the same room with him.

Again, it may sound like I am trying to excuse his behavior, but I’m not. Even when temptation is strong, we still are responsible for our own actions. But if he is determined to stop now, and is taking steps to do so, it seems to me that that is surely the most important thing.
 
  1. For the husbands out there who have been in the same boat, maybe you can shed some light on this one. I keep hearing (from counselors, etc.) that my husband’s pornography use had nothing to do with me, that it wasn’t a reaction to the way I look (or don’t look), that he wasn’t comparing me to all those women, but that makes no sense to me. It seems like if he loved me, if I’d been sufficient for him, he would not have done this. So for the husbands who have been there … can you explain what went on in your heads? I just don’t get it.
Not a husband but I do (unfortunately) have a history with porn that I have managed to put behind me thanks to God’s graces. In short, when your husband was engaging in pornography, no you were not satisfying his desires. That said, however, no woman ever could. That’s the difference between pleasure and joy… pleasure needs more and more of itself to avoid “crashing” whereas joy is intrinsically satisfying. Even if you had been the most beautiful woman in the world, your husband (while allowing lust to control his mind) would have rapidly started to desire new and different women. Satan fills our mind with empty promises and, when we listen to those promises, we quickly get led down a very slippery slope.

Based on what I’m reading, I don’t think you should blame yourself for his actions. Remember, sin requires full knowledge and consent of the guilty party (there’s nothing that you could have done that would have “forced” your husband to turn to porn). What you should do, however, is to pray intensely for his spiritual recovery (as well as for your ability to forgive him completely).

God bless!
 
If your husband is truly an addict as you say he is, then he became addicted long before he ever met you. If this is the case, his addiction really doesn’t have much to do with you; yes it effects you now but in no way were you the cause of it nor did you contribute to it. He alone got himself into it.

What I’m trying to say is that he was an addict long before he ever met you and that meeting/marrying you wasn’t going to magically make his addiction go away. If for example your husband was addicted to gambling or heroin instead, similarly, meeting/marrying you wouldn’t have made those addictions disappear either.

I know you are terribly hurt by his addiction but you must realize that as an addiction, it is a compulsive behavior and I would venture to say, systemic. Most addicts can’t help themselves no matter what they do or how much they try to understand how much their actions hurt others. They truly, honestly, desperately, can’t help themselves. It’s like someone else is controlling your body! The addiction invades their every waking thought and even haunts their dreams!

Have you ever been truly addicted to anything? It’s horrible, desolate, hopeless. No matter how much you want to stop, you simply can’t. I’ve been there and wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemies. The only thing that will really break it is divine mercy and sincere prayer. And even then, some days are a real struggle, you’re walking on a knife’s edge.

What he needs now is not that you feel hurt, but your desperate intercessory prayer. The Blessed Mother has made a huge difference in my life in areas of addiction. I can’t emphasize enough how powerful Our Lady is for breaking addictions! It’s truly miraculous!
 
My husband is a recovering pornography addict. It has severely damaged our marriage, and I often feel hopeless that we’ll ever have a happy marriage again. He’s doing his part, praise God, but my pain is still deep. I have two questions:
  1. For the husbands out there who have been in the same boat, maybe you can shed some light on this one. I keep hearing (from counselors, etc.) that my husband’s pornography use had nothing to do with me, that it wasn’t a reaction to the way I look (or don’t look), that he wasn’t comparing me to all those women, but that makes no sense to me. It seems like if he loved me, if I’d been sufficient for him, he would not have done this. So for the husbands who have been there … can you explain what went on in your heads? I just don’t get it.
  2. For wives who have forgiven … please tell me a success story! Anything. Tell me something hopeful. Is it possible to recover from this? How did you do it?
Dr. (PhD) Louanne Cole Weston says, she thinks, there are three main reasons why people turn to pornography:
  1. to see their fantasies acted out,
  2. to aid masturbation,
  3. to avoid intimacy in a relationship.
There is no agreement in Psychology that pornography is an addiction, sometimes it is thought of as a compulsion. And, many women also use pornography.

In light of this, the underlying problem to be addressed is intimacy.
 
…
  1. For the husbands out there who have been in the same boat, maybe you can shed some light on this one. I keep hearing (from counselors, etc.) that my husband’s pornography use had nothing to do with me, that it wasn’t a reaction to the way I look (or don’t look), that he wasn’t comparing me to all those women, but that makes no sense to me. It seems like if he loved me, if I’d been sufficient for him, he would not have done this. So for the husbands who have been there … can you explain what went on in your heads? I just don’t get it.
    …
The counsellors, and everyone else who says it’s not about you are 100% correct. It’s not about you, and it’s not even about sex - just as alcoholism isn’t about enjoying an extra glass of wine.

Just think of all the famous philandering husbands, and wives, who have had a drop-dead-gorgeous spouse, but keep straying addictively.

Is the problem that even though you know this, that you have trouble believing it and holding to it? That would be understandable. It may be that no amount of information or re-assurance will stop you slipping back into doubting yourself?

From time to time here I share my personal experience with A.A and S.A. as models for addiction recovery, regardless of the particular addiction. Your situation is making me think that perhaps, for the spouse of an addict, Al-Anon is the way to recovery. I only have minimal exposure to it, but I suspect it’s worth looking into.

A brief web search for “al-anon sexual addiction” shows plenty of resources in this vein. It looks like either Al-Anon itself, or COSA, can help.

I will follow up with the COSA “Letter to a Newcomer”.

Best wishes with it, and I will say a prayer for you and your husband,

Edmundus
 
COSA - Letter to a Newcomer
COSA is a recovery program for men and women whose lives have been affected by another person’s compulsive sexual behavior. In COSA, we find hope whether or not there is a sexually addicted person currently in our lives. With the humble act of reaching out, we begin the process of recovery. We are not affiliated with outside organizations, including treatment centers, religions or therapy.
We have found that working the Twelve Steps is just as important for us as it is for the sex addict. To remedy our own emotional, physical and spiritual illness, the COSA program offers suggestions, but keep in mind that the basis of our program is spiritual, as evidenced by the Twelve Steps. COSA is a Twelve Step recovery program for spiritual development, no matter what our religious beliefs.
As a result of practicing the steps, the fog that once shrouded our lives begins to lift, and the symptoms of our own dysfunction are removed on a daily basis. The Twelve Steps aid us in our process of surrendering to something greater than ourselves, and we find that the more total our surrender, the more fully realized our freedom from the coping behaviors we learned to use.
There is hope in COSA. In the long run, our efforts to control fail. The consequences leave us in despair: our self-esteem, personal boundaries and values are seriously compromised. Our health and our lives are at risk, and our identity is lost. We realize our need to reach out for help. In COSA, we begin to experience relief from our isolation, in the safety of an anonymous gathering with others who share our stories. With perseverance, bit by bit, sanity, clarity and our own truth begin to emerge.
As we share our experience, strength and hope while working the twelve steps, we grow stronger in spirit. We begin to lead our lives more serenely and in deeper fulfillment, little by little, one day at a time.
Once we become open to our own recovery, the preoccupation with the addict diminishes and in many cases leaves us entirely. As we walk further into the clarity of recovery, we find that to deal with our inner turmoil, we have to have a new way of thinking�of acting on life rather than reacting to it�in essence, a new way of living.
If you decide you are one of us, we welcome you with open arms. Whatever your circumstances, we offer you the gift of acceptance. Step into the sunlight of the spirit. You are not alone anymore. Welcome to COSA! Welcome home!
 
  1. For the husbands out there who have been in the same boat, maybe you can shed some light on this one. I keep hearing (from counselors, etc.) that my husband’s pornography use had nothing to do with me, that it wasn’t a reaction to the way I look (or don’t look), that he wasn’t comparing me to all those women, but that makes no sense to me. It seems like if he loved me, if I’d been sufficient for him, he would not have done this. So for the husbands who have been there … can you explain what went on in your heads? I just don’t get it.
The counselors and everyone else who say that the actual addiction has nothing to do with you are (most likely) absolutely correct. Not knowing how or when he got addicted, I can’t say for sure, but many men pick it up when they’re very young and it just grows from there. I’m sure there are countless ways that a guy gets from point A to point B so it would be wrong to take a guess at what went on with your husband. He almost certainly didn’t set out to pick up a porn addiction and probably spent years completely unaware of the fact that it was a problem.

However, anyone who claims that he wasn’t comparing you to all those women are full of hogwash. He absolutely was, whether he chose to or not. That’s what habitual porn use does to you. No matter how you looked, what you did to please him, to comply with his wishes and satisfy his desires, he still compared you with them and fantasized about them when he was with you. That’s not to say he didn’t fantasize about you as well. He certainly did–objectifying you, putting you in their place, etc. However, he also looked at your friends that way, as well as your sister, your cousins, the cashier at the grocery store, the lady walking her dog and that girl riding her bike; in fact, just about every female he saw, day in, day out. Much of the time it wasn’t even voluntary; those thoughts and images would just pop into his head. Still, there were plenty of times when it was intentional as well.

And as time went on, the more he objectified you (and the porn stars, and the waitresses, and the lifeguards, and your kids’ teachers), the less he thought about how it would upset and affect you (if that ever entered his head at all, which it most likely didn’t since we’re taught so much these days that there’s nothing wrong with porn and it’s the people opposed to it who have a problem). Through no fault of your own, you got to be less and less “sufficient” for him. There was nothing you or any woman could have done to measure up to his fantasies. What he did think about was how the pictures and videos he used to like weren’t turning him on anymore, and he had to seek out more and more extreme/depraved videos to give him the thrill he used to get from the tamer stuff. He also thought about different ways to trick, guilt or cajole you into either watching the videos with him, doing the things he saw in those videos, or both. He likely spent a good deal of time dealing with the frustration of “performance issues” (which he likely blamed on you), especially if he had an occasional moment of conscience and did his best to only think about you. Although he assured you and himself that he didn’t have a problem, he likely spent a good deal of time figuring out how to hide the videos, setting up hidden folders in obscure subfolders on the computer (possibly password protected), using multiple browsers so you didn’t stumble across his bookmarks, and figuring out the best hiding places in the basement, garage, hall closet, etc. for the stuff he really didn’t want you to see.

The first time you confronted him about it, told him you were uncomfortable with it or asked him to stop, he wondered what your problem was and what happened to the fun-loving girl he married. He tried to placate you and tell you that it wasn’t a big deal, that it was perfectly normal/natural, and that none of those girls meant anything to him. Heck, you were the one he went to bed with every night, so that ought to tell you something. Unless you caught him in the act, he told you that he never did more than just watch the videos or look at the pictures, and if you did catch him he had excuses for that as well. He figured if he could just convince you that there was nothing wrong with it, then everything would be fine.

Obviously at some point he did realize it was a problem and is now, hopefully, doing his best to get past it. If you want to know how to recover from it, it’s just as important to know what’s going on in his head now as before. There’s likely a lot of shame, guilt and embarrassment. There’s probably also some anger: with whomever introduced him to it in the first place, with the people who produce it and possibly with you for not doing something about it sooner. The good news, though, is that if he has truly gotten over it, he also has a lot of hope and optimism going through his head. He’s seeing things differently than he has in years, including you. Instead of one of a thousand objects there for his gratification, you’re now the only woman in his life. You’re the only one he’s intimate with, and when he closes his eyes, you’re the only one he sees. Being with you now is an entirely new and much better experience than he ever could have imagined. Whereas before, nothing you did was quite enough for him, now just holding your hand or stroking your hair is a huge thrill. He’s going to want to do everything he can to show you how sorry he is and make up for what he’s done. There may be some setbacks, and it will likely take years for him to regain your trust (you’ll feel uneasy whenever he’s around an attractive woman; get upset with him if you catch him watching a risque scene in a movie, even if it’s one you picked out; and wonder whether he’s really just checking his email), but every moment he’s with you will make it easier on him. With a lot of love, time and dedication, it will get easier on you as well.
 
I don’t want to reveal my personal information, but based on my experience what your counselors are saying is correct. When your husband was acting out, he most likely wasn’t thinking of you at all. That’s awful to say, but this is a very selfish act. All that matters is getting the ‘fix’ of porn.

And it wouldn’t matter if you looked 1000 times more beautiful than Helen of Troy, Cleopatra, and Marie Antoinette combined. He still would have acted out. Why? He’s trying to fill a longing and an emptiness that only God can fill. One goes back again and again to the well of porn, thinking it will satisfy, but it never ever does.

Think of an island. As big as the island appears, you only see the part above the water. The vast majority of the land mass is below the water. The island you see is the sexual addiction or compulsion. As big and horrible as that is, the roots go much deeper. For many, the roots extend back to some childhood trauma - a way of escaping from some kind of pain. That’s not to excuse actions… We all have pain and must find ways of dealing with it, but many turn to porn and other things to escape that pain.

There is hope for your husband, but the choices are entirely up to him. He will not be able to defeat this alone. It sounds like he is getting counseling, which is good. Twelve step programs can be very effective as well. Ultimately, the choice is his on how to proceed.

You might consider getting help and support for yourself. I don’t know if you’re seeing a counselor yourself, but that might be a good place to start if you can afford it. COSA is another good resource if they have meetings in your area.

In closing, I want to emphasize that this addiction is not your fault in any way, shape, or form. Your husband got himself into this mess, and only he (with help from God and others) can get himself out.
 
My husband is a recovering pornography addict. It has severely damaged our marriage, and I often feel hopeless that we’ll ever have a happy marriage again. He’s doing his part, praise God, but my pain is still deep. I have two questions:
  1. For the husbands out there who have been in the same boat, maybe you can shed some light on this one. I keep hearing (from counselors, etc.) that my husband’s pornography use had nothing to do with me, that it wasn’t a reaction to the way I look (or don’t look), that he wasn’t comparing me to all those women, but that makes no sense to me. It seems like if he loved me, if I’d been sufficient for him, he would not have done this. So for the husbands who have been there … can you explain what went on in your heads? I just don’t get it.
  2. For wives who have forgiven … please tell me a success story! Anything. Tell me something hopeful. Is it possible to recover from this? How did you do it?
I’m so very sorry to hear what you’ve been going through in your marriage. As a wife who has been in your shoes, I feel your true pain deeply. Many excellent suggestions have been given so far above. If I could add one more: it might be beneficial if you wish for you to join the women’s support group here at CAF titled, “Women Suffering Because of Unchastity.” It deals specifically with what you’re going through and has been an amazing blessing for me in my marriage. I highly recommend it for you and any other women out there who may be experiencing this horrendous intrusion by satan’s lures into their marriages.

So far, my particular marriage situation seems to be a success story “in progress,” but unfortunately with addictions like pornography, I hesitate to say that with complete certainty or with unknowing knowledge of what the future might hold. One day at a time, one step at a time, and an unending amount of prayers and receipt of the Sacraments to help obtain the abundance of grace needed to continue in a marriage that will be pleasing in God’s eyes.

Please know that you will be in my prayers. And you’re definitely not alone.
 
Hi Marguerite,

I’m sorry to hear about what’s happened in your marriage. I, unfortunately, encountered the same thing a few years ago. My husband got into porn (Playboy & things) when he was a teenager, and it escalated into an internet porn addiction when that became widely available. By the time we were married, he was securely attached to porn. It went from porn, to viewing dating ads, to responding to Craigslist prostitutes. All of which I had no idea about. After all, he is a Christian man so I never even thought about it.

When I found out about everything, I was devastated. We separated for a few weeks. We had a young son. It was hard. Through counseling, I found out that he was addicted to online porn. Although he never had physical relations with other women, the hurt was the same. What worked for us, is that he quit using the computer. I really don’t think most men with an internet porn addiction can control themselves with unfettered access to the internet. There were restrictions on use. If he needed to use the computer for online banking, or other things, I had to be in the room when it happened. He admitted that it was hard to break out of this habit, but after a few weeks, it was ok. I also let him know that while I understand the pull pornography has had on him, if he were to get caught looking at porn or responding to adult friend finder again it’d be a permanent separation he’d be dealing with.

We also had a lot of support from family, along with counseling from his church. It was easy to be mad at him. I was very mad. But the counseling helped me to realize the struggle that men today go through. It starts with porn mags in high school, and escalates quickly.

For awhile, I thought I’d never love him again, or want to be intimate without thinking of the hell that he put me through. But, with what I believe was God’s intervention, we clung to each other. We worked on things and grew together. We ended up having two more children. One conceived shortly after our ordeal. Which doesn’t seem to be a big deal unless you know that we tried for years for our first. I really believe this heartbreak helped save our marriage.

Good luck.

S Elizabeth
Thank you for sharing your story. My husband says this goes back to his teenage years, too, but he won’t share specifics. It gives me hope to know that you and your husband pulled through. Bless you both.
I’m not sure that I can explain it in a way that would make sense to a woman, but what you have stated here sounds about right, from a man’s perspective.

But I don’t mean to sound like I am excusing your husband’s behavior. Far from it. What he did was terrible, though I hope you understand that it is something that is extremely tempting and extremely addictive.

I think of it this way: I work on a computer all day for my job. Because I work at home, I am alone for most of the time when I am working, with no one else around. At any given time, on any given day, all I would have to do is to type one or two words and make one or two mouse clicks, and I could easily bring up an endless supply of pornography in my web browser.

I firmly believe that it is only through God’s grace, especially the grace that He gives to me and my wife in the sacrament of marriage, that I consistently avoid that temptation. Because the temptation is so great, and the barrier so low, that I can’t see any way that I or any other man can resist it without immense willpower and determination (which I generally don’t have), or by the grace of God. And yet I do resist it.

Look, you wouldn’t invite naked women to parade around in front of your husband, even if you knew that he could (and should) choose to close his eyes, because why put that temptation in front of him unnecessarily? And yet a man can view pornography on the internet almost as easily as he could view a naked woman standing in the same room with him.

Again, it may sound like I am trying to excuse his behavior, but I’m not. Even when temptation is strong, we still are responsible for our own actions. But if he is determined to stop now, and is taking steps to do so, it seems to me that that is surely the most important thing.
You are right - it is just a mouse click away. And that makes me SO MAD! I hate it for my children, too. They’re too young for the Internet yet, but I dread the day I have to let them loose. But this is part of why trust is so hard to rebuild … pornography is EVERYWHERE, and it would be so easy for him to find access.
If your husband is truly an addict as you say he is, then he became addicted long before he ever met you. If this is the case, his addiction really doesn’t have much to do with you; yes it effects you now but in no way were you the cause of it nor did you contribute to it. He alone got himself into it.

What I’m trying to say is that he was an addict long before he ever met you and that meeting/marrying you wasn’t going to magically make his addiction go away. If for example your husband was addicted to gambling or heroin instead, similarly, meeting/marrying you wouldn’t have made those addictions disappear either.

I know you are terribly hurt by his addiction but you must realize that as an addiction, it is a compulsive behavior and I would venture to say, systemic. Most addicts can’t help themselves no matter what they do or how much they try to understand how much their actions hurt others. They truly, honestly, desperately, can’t help themselves. It’s like someone else is controlling your body! The addiction invades their every waking thought and even haunts their dreams!

Have you ever been truly addicted to anything? It’s horrible, desolate, hopeless. No matter how much you want to stop, you simply can’t. I’ve been there and wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemies. The only thing that will really break it is divine mercy and sincere prayer. And even then, some days are a real struggle, you’re walking on a knife’s edge.

What he needs now is not that you feel hurt, but your desperate intercessory prayer. The Blessed Mother has made a huge difference in my life in areas of addiction. I can’t emphasize enough how powerful Our Lady is for breaking addictions! It’s truly miraculous!
Thank you. This was helpful. I know I need to pray pray pray, but some days I just can’t even think straight. I did manage a decade after I read this, though. 🙂
Is the problem that even though you know this, that you have trouble believing it and holding to it? That would be understandable. It may be that no amount of information or re-assurance will stop you slipping back into doubting yourself?

…

I will follow up with the COSA “Letter to a Newcomer”.

Best wishes with it, and I will say a prayer for you and your husband,

Edmundus
Yes. Exactly. Rational thought, sadly, has not done much to allay the feelings of self-doubt. Thank you for the COSA info.
However, anyone who claims that he wasn’t comparing you to all those women are full of hogwash. He absolutely was, whether he chose to or not. That’s what habitual porn use does to you. No matter how you looked, what you did to please him, to comply with his wishes and satisfy his desires, he still compared you with them and fantasized about them when he was with you. That’s not to say he didn’t fantasize about you as well. He certainly did–objectifying you, putting you in their place, etc. However, he also looked at your friends that way, as well as your sister, your cousins, the cashier at the grocery store, the lady walking her dog and that girl riding her bike; in fact, just about every female he saw, day in, day out. Much of the time it wasn’t even voluntary; those thoughts and images would just pop into his head. Still, there were plenty of times when it was intentional as well.

.
That really depressed me.
I’m so very sorry to hear what you’ve been going through in your marriage. As a wife who has been in your shoes, I feel your true pain deeply. Many excellent suggestions have been given so far above. If I could add one more: it might be beneficial if you wish for you to join the women’s support group here at CAF titled, “Women Suffering Because of Unchastity.” It deals specifically with what you’re going through and has been an amazing blessing for me in my marriage. I highly recommend it for you and any other women out there who may be experiencing this horrendous intrusion by satan’s lures into their marriages.

So far, my particular marriage situation seems to be a success story “in progress,” but unfortunately with addictions like pornography, I hesitate to say that with complete certainty or with unknowing knowledge of what the future might hold. One day at a time, one step at a time, and an unending amount of prayers and receipt of the Sacraments to help obtain the abundance of grace needed to continue in a marriage that will be pleasing in God’s eyes.

Please know that you will be in my prayers. And you’re definitely not alone.
Thank you! So glad you, too, have found success so far! Prayers for you as well.
 
The counselors and everyone else who say that the actual addiction has nothing to do with you are (most likely) absolutely correct. Not knowing how or when he got addicted, I can’t say for sure, but many men pick it up when they’re very young and it just grows from there. I’m sure there are countless ways that a guy gets from point A to point B so it would be wrong to take a guess at what went on with your husband. He almost certainly didn’t set out to pick up a porn addiction and probably spent years completely unaware of the fact that it was a problem.

However, anyone who claims that he wasn’t comparing you to all those women are full of hogwash. He absolutely was, whether he chose to or not. That’s what habitual porn use does to you. No matter how you looked, what you did to please him, to comply with his wishes and satisfy his desires, he still compared you with them and fantasized about them when he was with you. That’s not to say he didn’t fantasize about you as well. He certainly did–objectifying you, putting you in their place, etc. However, he also looked at your friends that way, as well as your sister, your cousins, the cashier at the grocery store, the lady walking her dog and that girl riding her bike; in fact, just about every female he saw, day in, day out. Much of the time it wasn’t even voluntary; those thoughts and images would just pop into his head. Still, there were plenty of times when it was intentional as well.

And as time went on, the more he objectified you (and the porn stars, and the waitresses, and the lifeguards, and your kids’ teachers), the less he thought about how it would upset and affect you (if that ever entered his head at all, which it most likely didn’t since we’re taught so much these days that there’s nothing wrong with porn and it’s the people opposed to it who have a problem). Through no fault of your own, you got to be less and less “sufficient” for him. There was nothing you or any woman could have done to measure up to his fantasies. What he did think about was how the pictures and videos he used to like weren’t turning him on anymore, and he had to seek out more and more extreme/depraved videos to give him the thrill he used to get from the tamer stuff. He also thought about different ways to trick, guilt or cajole you into either watching the videos with him, doing the things he saw in those videos, or both. He likely spent a good deal of time dealing with the frustration of “performance issues” (which he likely blamed on you), especially if he had an occasional moment of conscience and did his best to only think about you. Although he assured you and himself that he didn’t have a problem, he likely spent a good deal of time figuring out how to hide the videos, setting up hidden folders in obscure subfolders on the computer (possibly password protected), using multiple browsers so you didn’t stumble across his bookmarks, and figuring out the best hiding places in the basement, garage, hall closet, etc. for the stuff he really didn’t want you to see.

The first time you confronted him about it, told him you were uncomfortable with it or asked him to stop, he wondered what your problem was and what happened to the fun-loving girl he married. He tried to placate you and tell you that it wasn’t a big deal, that it was perfectly normal/natural, and that none of those girls meant anything to him. Heck, you were the one he went to bed with every night, so that ought to tell you something. Unless you caught him in the act, he told you that he never did more than just watch the videos or look at the pictures, and if you did catch him he had excuses for that as well. He figured if he could just convince you that there was nothing wrong with it, then everything would be fine.

Obviously at some point he did realize it was a problem and is now, hopefully, doing his best to get past it. If you want to know how to recover from it, it’s just as important to know what’s going on in his head now as before. There’s likely a lot of shame, guilt and embarrassment. There’s probably also some anger: with whomever introduced him to it in the first place, with the people who produce it and possibly with you for not doing something about it sooner. The good news, though, is that if he has truly gotten over it, he also has a lot of hope and optimism going through his head. He’s seeing things differently than he has in years, including you. Instead of one of a thousand objects there for his gratification, you’re now the only woman in his life. You’re the only one he’s intimate with, and when he closes his eyes, you’re the only one he sees. Being with you now is an entirely new and much better experience than he ever could have imagined. Whereas before, nothing you did was quite enough for him, now just holding your hand or stroking your hair is a huge thrill. He’s going to want to do everything he can to show you how sorry he is and make up for what he’s done. There may be some setbacks, and it will likely take years for him to regain your trust (you’ll feel uneasy whenever he’s around an attractive woman; get upset with him if you catch him watching a risque scene in a movie, even if it’s one you picked out; and wonder whether he’s really just checking his email), but every moment he’s with you will make it easier on him. With a lot of love, time and dedication, it will get easier on you as well.
Wow…thank you, Gordon, for that excellent info for the OP. It definitely helped me better understand what was/is most likely going on in my husband’s brain. Rough to hear, but very beneficial for helping me as a wife try to show the same love and mercy Our Lord does every minute with all of us.

God bless you for taking the time to help all of us here at CAF with similar circumstances.
 
Wow…thank you, Gordon, for that excellent info for the OP. It definitely helped me better understand what was/is most likely going on in my husband’s brain. Rough to hear, but very beneficial for helping me as a wife try to show the same love and mercy Our Lord does every minute with all of us.

God bless you for taking the time to help all of us here at CAF with similar circumstances.
Thanks. For the record, my intent wasn’t to hurt or upset anyone. I just get tired of hearing people say guys with this problem aren’t comparing their wives to the women they watch in these videos, or that there aren’t any negative or harmful side effects to it. I’ve cut ties with friends who have told me they wouldn’t be able to trust themselves if they had a teenage daughter, and with a family member who went on and on about how “hot” our twelve-year-old niece was. Each of them are admitted, habitual porn users, although they’re quick to point out that it’s entirely natural. It’s a horrible, ruinous habit that perverts your entire outlook. Anyone who says otherwise is either very naive or very dishonest.
 
Thanks. For the record, my intent wasn’t to hurt or upset anyone. I just get tired of hearing people say guys with this problem aren’t comparing their wives to the women they watch in these videos, or that there aren’t any negative or harmful side effects to it. I’ve cut ties with friends who have told me they wouldn’t be able to trust themselves if they had a teenage daughter, and with a family member who went on and on about how “hot” our twelve-year-old niece was. Each of them are admitted, habitual porn users, although they’re quick to point out that it’s entirely natural. It’s a horrible, ruinous habit that perverts your entire outlook. Anyone who says otherwise is either very naive or very dishonest.
Just to be clear, I did appreciate your original response, and I apologize for sounding ungrateful. Maybe I’m just not quite ready for THAT much honesty. :o It’s difficult to come to terms with the fact that my husband - MY HUSBAND! - did such a thing. I just never expected it. Well, obviously. I’m sure no one does. Anyway, thank you again to all for your prayers and your responses.
 
Thanks. For the record, my intent wasn’t to hurt or upset anyone. I just get tired of hearing people say guys with this problem aren’t comparing their wives to the women they watch in these videos, or that there aren’t any negative or harmful side effects to it. I’ve cut ties with friends who have told me they wouldn’t be able to trust themselves if they had a teenage daughter, and with a family member who went on and on about how “hot” our twelve-year-old niece was. Each of them are admitted, habitual porn users, although they’re quick to point out that it’s entirely natural. It’s a horrible, ruinous habit that perverts your entire outlook. Anyone who says otherwise is either very naive or very dishonest.
Your caring honesty from a man’s standpoint is much appreciated, Gordon. As a wife, I’ve often suspected that many of those types of thoughts exist in my husband’s and other men’s minds (possibly willingly, unwillingly, or a combination of both), and I’m sure it cannot be an easy process to overcome the lure of satan’s temptations. The evil one is having a very easy time of destroying marriages and families, especially with internet availability, but Our Dear Lord is much stronger and can help overcome it IF He is sincerely brought into the picture. I pray that He is allowed in more and more to help our entire society in this time of moral decay.
God bless.
 
Just to be clear, I did appreciate your original response, and I apologize for sounding ungrateful. Maybe I’m just not quite ready for THAT much honesty. :o It’s difficult to come to terms with the fact that my husband - MY HUSBAND! - did such a thing. I just never expected it. Well, obviously. I’m sure no one does. Anyway, thank you again to all for your prayers and your responses.
My wife is going through the same thing sadly. Been a few months but we’re getting back on track.

My addiction traces back, as it does with most people, to the teenage years. Stumbled across my dad’s stuff and it all went downhill from there. I “broke” it for a few years during the courtship and earliest years of my marriage but basically I was distracting myself from the underlying problems. I never really addressed it. Just filled my life up with tons of activities and didn’t have time or the inclination anymore.

Then some serious grown-up stuff hits my young family and I fell right back into it. And this time I was hiding it from someone other than my parents. I loved my wife but I knew I was hurting her because I saw what happened to my mother. I just didn’t care enough to stop. It’s not that I didn’t love her anymore so I didn’t stop, it’s that I was too scared, too ashamed and hated myself too much to even try. I figured that if I made extreme efforts to stop she’d find out and then leave. I didn’t understand love at all, not truly; I barely have any real comprehension of it now but I know enough to say that I should never have been so scared. I should have followed Christ’s command and taken courage.

Yeah well… she did find out and she did leave for awhile much like your case. But instead of despairing, I had a lot of prayer from others SHOVE me into turning my life around. I’m at daily Mass most days. I frequent confession. I joined a group for addicts. I go to adoration once a week. I say the Rosary daily. I turned my fear, anxiety, anger and all my shortcomings over to God. And the greatest revelation, the thing that keeps me going, is knowing that despite my sin… GOD STILL LOVES ME!

And amazingly my wife still loves me. So does the rest of my family and even my in-laws. They’re certainly not “OK with it” but they still love me. And I’m not OK with it either; that’s why I’ve been “sober” as it were for months now. I’ve also tossed out my old computer and given the electronic keys to my wife for the new one. I basically only use a computer at home in front of her and that’s fine with me. No shame, no guilt, no embarrassment.

As horrible as it was, I praise God that I was found out. It has saved my soul, saved my wife’s sanity and saved our marriage. It has given me an opportunity to fulfill my vocation of being a good father, a good example of a man to my younger brothers and maybe even an example for my own father so he can finally break his own chains. But I can only do that if I repeatedly turn my life over to Christ every day and walk in His example. To him be all the credit and praise, but it is possible to get out of this terrible ditch.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top