Marry a Muslim?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nida007
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s sad to see some of these answers.

If you find a good Muslim man who loves you, treats you right, and would make a good father than by all means, go for it. Just be sure to talk extensively on how you will raise children, attend church, handle extended families, etc. I’m going to go all MLK here and say that we should judge people on the content of their character, not write off an entire group as being dangerous or evil.
I wish it was that easy but we all know that people change especially when it comes to children. If religion is so important in her life, for sure I truly believe she will find someone suitable for her and in the same religion. Me saying she should not marry a Muslim has absolutely nothing to do writing off an entire group being dangerous or evil. If people are Muslim or Protestant or Hindu…good for them but when religion get involved we all know how bad it can turn so she might as well be patient and marry a catholic.
 
Several years ago, one day I was feeling uneasy that one of my sister’s was married to a Muslim boy after falling in love. I prayed and opened the Bible and this is the verse (bold) that caught my eyes : Jesse was the father of Eliab his firstborn; the second son was Abinadab, the third Shimea, the fourth Nethanel, the fifth Raddai, the sixth Ozem and the seventh David. Their sisters were Zeruiah and Abigail. Zeruiah’s three sons were Abishai, Joab and Asahel. Abigail was the mother of Amasa, whose father was Jether the Ishmaelite. (1Chr 2:13-16)

I said to myself: if the sister of David, a man after God’s own heart, could marry an Ishmaelite, then why can’t my sister marry one?

Now it has turned out that it is one of the best things that happened in our family and my sister’s family lives in harmony and love.
I gather that in India, mixed marriages where one party is a Muslim, is not uncommon. I have nothing against Muslims, have Muslim friends and relatives but I am sure you know the difficulty of a Catholic marrying a Muslim in Pakistan or other Muslim majority countries. A very obvious exception is Indonesia where you have families where one parent is Muslim and the other, Catholic. Indonesia is a secular state although it has the largest number of Muslims in the world.
 
It’s sad to see some of these answers.

If you find a good Muslim man who loves you, treats you right, and would make a good father than by all means, go for it. Just be sure to talk extensively on how you will raise children, attend church, handle extended families, etc. I’m going to go all MLK here and say that we should judge people on the content of their character, not write off an entire group as being dangerous or evil.
No one is writing of an entire people, saying they are evil. Surely you know what is happening in Pakistan where even a Muslim minister for minorities was murdered for speaking for peace and unity. Then there is Malala. There are religious fanatics all over the world and in all religions. If they are able to, they grab power and make their version of religious rules. There are good Muslims all over the world, they are the least vocal.
 
No one is writing of an entire people, saying they are evil. Surely you know what is happening in Pakistan where even a Muslim minister for minorities was murdered for speaking for peace and unity. Then there is Malala. There are religious fanatics all over the world and in all religions. If they are able to, they grab power and make their version of religious rules. There are good Muslims all over the world, they are the least vocal.
Then I believe I must marry a Catholic to avoid any further problems or issue that can be raised in the society or with him regarding the upbringing of my children etc…
 
No one is writing of an entire people, saying they are evil. Surely you know what is happening in Pakistan where even a Muslim minister for minorities was murdered for speaking for peace and unity. Then there is Malala. There are religious fanatics all over the world and in all religions. If they are able to, they grab power and make their version of religious rules. There are good Muslims all over the world, they are the least vocal.
There is no dearth of fanatics among Catholics too and I see no difference between them and the Taliban.

What heroic courage was shown by Salman Taseer for our cause; but what an ungrateful lot we are for hardly acknowledging it.
 
There is no dearth of fanatics among Catholics too and I see no difference between them and the Taliban.

What heroic courage was shown by Salman Taseer for our cause; but what an ungrateful lot we are for hardly acknowledging it.
Yes, as I said there are fanatics in all religions. A big difference is that their actions do not reflect the Church are not condoned.
 
**There is no dearth of fanatics among Catholics too and I see no difference between them and the Taliban.
**
What heroic courage was shown by Salman Taseer for our cause; but what an ungrateful lot we are for hardly acknowledging it.
:eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad:

Really. I think you need to get your eyes checked if you can’t see the difference between a Catholic of any flavor and the Taliban.
 
:eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad:

Really. I think you need to get your eyes checked if you can’t see the difference between a Catholic of any flavor and the Taliban.
In fact it is you who should do it; but I doubt if it would help as you may only see what you want to.
 
Oh dear, not this debate again. Yes, there are fanatics of every religion, that’s just a fact. We can get in to who is worse, has killed the most, or caused the most suffering but in all reality if you are one of the innocents suffering at the hands of extremists you don’t care who out there might be worse. Besides, a measurement of who is “worse” is pretty subjective.

No one is suggesting that anyone marry a violent, dangerous, or oppressive person of any religion, Islam or otherwise. All that I am saying at least is that if you find a good, honest, loving, trustworthy man that you think would make a good father and husband then proceed the way you would with any mixed faith marriage. Of course that’s going to involve a lot of talking, understanding, negotiating, and so on. But if you are open to a mixed faith marriage then there really isn’t a reason to disqualify every member of the world’s second largest faith. Really, just judge everyone for who they personally are and what they have personally done. If you don’t want to marry someone outside of Catholicism then obviously a Muslim is out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top