Marrying a woman whos been divorced?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Keverlast
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Keverlast

Guest
whats your opinion about Christ saying its adultery in matthew 5:32 ? is it literal or…
 
If she has a living husband and has not had her previous marriage investigated and found null, it would be adultery. Marriage is for life.
 
I agree with the teaching.

But honestly, I didn’t even know it was a teaching until you told me just now. My conscience has just kind of always told me it would be so. I guess I’m glad to know my senses were well formed.

Morality aside, I just see it as kind of… gross. But that’s just me.
 
If she has a living husband and has not had her previous marriage investigated and found null, it would be adultery. Marriage is for life.
So does that mean Catholic widows and widowers (or whatever the male is called) are not to remarry? Is this somewhere in scripture?

I sure hope so. That’s something else I’ve always felt would be wrong.
 
If she has a living husband and has not had her previous marriage investigated and found null, it would be adultery. Marriage is for life.
So does that mean Catholic widows and widowers (or whatever the male is called) are not to remarry? Is this somewhere in scripture?

I sure hope so. That’s something else I’ve always felt would be wrong.
No. Widows and widowers are free to marry. Scripture has many instances of people who married again after their first spouse died. Pious tradition even holds that St. Joseph may have been a widower.
 
If she has a living husband and has not had her previous marriage investigated and found null, it would be adultery. Marriage is for life.
lets say the 2 peoplw who’ve gotten married in the past were not meant for each other… can she not re-marry a man after theyve been divorced for over 2 decades. sometimes people jump into marriage too quick, they jump the gun soto speak
 
lets say the 2 peoplw who’ve gotten married in the past were not meant for each other… can she not re-marry a man after theyve been divorced for over 2 decades. sometimes people jump into marriage too quick, they jump the gun soto speak
If a person believes he/she entered marriage without the proper maturity or level of understanding, he/she can ask the Church to look into it. For a marriage to be truly Sacramental both spouses must have a level of committment and maturity to properly enter the Sacrament. If it is found that that was lacking,the marriage will be found to be null - that is that it never really became a valid bond. If the Church finds that the first marriage was null, the spouse is free to marry again.
 
lets say the 2 peoplw who’ve gotten married in the past were not meant for each other… can she not re-marry a man after theyve been divorced for over 2 decades. sometimes people jump into marriage too quick, they jump the gun soto speak
I don’t really think people are “made for each other.” You have the free will to marry who you want to marry. You then have a responsibility to make the relationship work with the person whom you chose to marry for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do you part… unless you get an annullment.
 
Psst… Corki… I don’t mean to be a bother but can you answer my previous question about whether or not widows or man-widows are allowed to remarry?
 
Psst… Corki… I don’t mean to be a bother but can you answer my previous question about whether or not widows or man-widows are allowed to remarry?
Marriage ends at the death of one of the spouses. The widow or widower is free to marry someone else.
 
So does that mean Catholic widows and widowers (or whatever the male is called) are not to remarry? Is this somewhere in scripture?

I sure hope so. That’s something else I’ve always felt would be wrong.
If your spouse is dead then you may remarry.
 
So does that mean Catholic widows and widowers (or whatever the male is called) are not to remarry? Is this somewhere in scripture?

I sure hope so. That’s something else I’ve always felt would be wrong.
Actually Scripture tells them to remarry. To marry and have more children and manage their households. St Paul to St Timothy in 1 Timothy 5:14.
 
A woman whose husband has died is a widow.
A man whose wife has died is a widower.

People whose spouse has died may remarry in the Church.

Till Death Do Us Part. At death, the marriage has ended.
 
So does that mean Catholic widows and widowers (or whatever the male is called) are not to remarry? Is this somewhere in scripture?

I sure hope so. That’s something else I’ve always felt would be wrong.
Why do you feel it would be wrong?
 
I was filling out a parish registration application and I hesitated over divorce/widowed.

I was divorced, but my ex-husband died. Neither of us remarried.

Normally, I would put divorced, but since the Church doesn’t recognize civil divorce anyway, what is the proper answer?

If I select divorced, it would imply I’m still married. What do you guys think?
 
I was filling out a parish registration application and I hesitated over divorce/widowed.

I was divorced, but my ex-husband died. Neither of us remarried.

Normally, I would put divorced, but since the Church doesn’t recognize civil divorce anyway, what is the proper answer?

If I select divorced, it would imply I’m still married. What do you guys think?
You are no longer divorced. You are widowed. The parish registration is asking about your marital state so they can minister to you in case you ever desire to remarry. You don’t currently have an impediment to marriage, as you would if you were divorced.
 
You are no longer divorced. You are widowed. The parish registration is asking about your marital state so they can minister to you in case you ever desire to remarry. You don’t currently have an impediment to marriage, as you would if you were divorced.
Thank you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top