S
Sarmad
Guest
I know as Catholics, we worship only God. But recently, this statement from the II Vatican Council was brought up to my attention and I can’t make sense of it:
“Having entered deeply into the history of salvation, Mary, in a way, unites in her person and re-echoes the most important doctrines of the faith: and when she is the subject of preaching and worship she prompts the faithful to come to her Son, to his sacrifice and to the love of the Father.” (Vol. 1, pp. 420 and 421)
I found a website that had the full document: evangelicaloutreach.org/official.htm
The statement “when she [Mary] is the subject of preaching and worship”] sounds like the Church is saying either of these: 1) That its okay for Mary to be worshipped or 2) Its not okay for Mary to be worshipped but if she was to be worshipped then… [but it wouldn’t make sense why they would even mention the second one]
I already know that the Catholic Church doesn’t worship Mary. And the source below explained to me what worship is defined as in the Catholic Church:
patheos.com/blogs/standingonmyhead/2012/04/do-catholics-worship-mary.html
I just don’t understand why that word is used in that passage. Maybe I don’t understand the whole passage. But it does sound like worshiping Mary to me and I’m pretty confused by it. I will appreciate any help I can get with it!
“Having entered deeply into the history of salvation, Mary, in a way, unites in her person and re-echoes the most important doctrines of the faith: and when she is the subject of preaching and worship she prompts the faithful to come to her Son, to his sacrifice and to the love of the Father.” (Vol. 1, pp. 420 and 421)
I found a website that had the full document: evangelicaloutreach.org/official.htm
The statement “when she [Mary] is the subject of preaching and worship”] sounds like the Church is saying either of these: 1) That its okay for Mary to be worshipped or 2) Its not okay for Mary to be worshipped but if she was to be worshipped then… [but it wouldn’t make sense why they would even mention the second one]
I already know that the Catholic Church doesn’t worship Mary. And the source below explained to me what worship is defined as in the Catholic Church:
patheos.com/blogs/standingonmyhead/2012/04/do-catholics-worship-mary.html
I just don’t understand why that word is used in that passage. Maybe I don’t understand the whole passage. But it does sound like worshiping Mary to me and I’m pretty confused by it. I will appreciate any help I can get with it!
