Mary, Destroyer of Heresies

  • Thread starter Thread starter TimothyH
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TimothyH

Guest
I noticed with interest that one of Mary’s titles is “Destroyer of Heresies.”

I immediately thought of how difficult it is for many Christians to give the assent of faith to many Marian dogmas and doctrines. As it is often said, there are three reasons why a Baptist will not convert to Catholicism; 1) Mary, 2) Mary, 3) Mary. Mary seems to be a stumbling block even to some Catholics. Marian belief is often the last thing to be embraced.

So, my question is, how is Mary destroyer of heresies?

Mary gave birth to Jesus Christ who is Truth Himself, that much is clear to me.

Since Marian beliefs are often the last to be embraced, is it that when one believes in Marian dogma, they have left all other disbelief behind?

Are there heresies who’s falsehood has been proven through a Marian apparition?

Any thoughts?

Mary
 
So, my question is, how is Mary destroyer of heresies?
That is the exterminatrix of heresies. I saw a particular icon about that.
Since Marian beliefs are often the last to be embraced, is it that when one believes in Marian dogma, they have left all other disbelief behind?
Certain beliefs about the virgin mary is just one of the more important points in certain doctrines of Catholicism. One would have to look far back into church history to understand specifically where or how the Marian doctrines were formed.
Are there heresies who’s falsehood has been proven through a Marian apparition?
Most likely not.
Any thoughts?
Not all Marian doctrines of Catholicism are “status-quo” or actually true being held as dogma.
 
I’ve wondered about this title before as well. It does seem that those who accept the teachings of Christ (through the Successors of the Apostles and the Vicar of Christ on earth) on Mary seem to be more orthodox.

Maybe it means that, through her intercession, if we are truly seeking the truth , we will find it (in God’s time).

Let’s ask her!!!
 
It occured to me that this title may have come from her intercession at the Battle of Lepanto. You can google it to find the history.
 
From the 15 promises for those who pray the Rosary:

#3. The rosary shall be a powerful armor against hell, it will destroy vice,
decrease sin and DEFEAT HERESY.

I’m glad you posted this query, Timothy. You’re on to something.
 
It occured to me that this title may have come from her intercession at the Battle of Lepanto. You can google it to find the history.
Veeeeery interesting.

And the date did not go unnoticed by me, 1571, approximately 50 years after a certain Augustinian Monk named Martin Luther began to spread heresies.

Hmmmm… :hmmm:

-Tim-
 
How about starting a perpetual Rosary thread on the Prayer forum for the defeat of heresy , especially for those who promote it within the Church!
Just a suggestion.
 
…
I immediately thought of how difficult it is for many Christians to give the assent of faith to many Marian dogmas and doctrines. As it is often said, there are three reasons why a Baptist will not convert to Catholicism; 1) Mary, 2) Mary, 3) Mary. Mary seems to be a stumbling block even to some Catholics. Marian belief is often the last thing to be embraced…
My grandmother was a convert. She had grown up as a Baptist. Mary and the rosary was her favorite part of Catholicism by the time I knew her.

On the other hand, Kimberly Hahn found Mary the biggest obstacle her conversion.
 
There is a time that I was facing very hard circumstances which almost forced me to choose to leave the Catholic Church for the sake of my marriage, but because I had always had a close relationship with Mary, it became impossible for me to leave the Church. No matter how the devil pulled, the rope that tied me to Mary kept me within the bounds of the Catholic Church. I firmly believe that Mary is the defeater of all heresy.
 
I just thought it’s be interesting to note that in the pre-1999 Rite of Exorcism Satan is called the “teacher of heretics.”

It is because of Mary that we have Christ, who is the incarnate Word of God. Perhaps the title “destroyer of heresies” references how we now know the truth because of her “yes.” The Word of God is the opposite of heresy. Or, like has already been said, her promise to St. Dominic that praying the Rosary will destroy heresies.

I’d definitely like to know more about what this title means and how Mary acquired it as well. We could definitely use Mary’s help in getting rid of some heresies. 😃
 
I am also thinking that as the New Eve, Mary (as spoken in Genesis) is the only creature who do not have the stain of sin. The first how is when God intervened by protecting her from original sin at the moment of her conception, and the second how is that she herself remained free of stain of sin throughout her life. By baptism we are all made free from original sin, but unfortunately we continue to fall back into sin whether venial or mortal, and thus we weaken our ability to discern between the truth and heresy. With the protection of Mary, we are covered by her spotless mantle and hence safe despite our varied weaknesses. A big proof is that the only Church under the sun that is spotless is the same Church that have Mary as Her Patron, the Catholic Church. The further one strays from her the worse the heresy one can get into.
 
Veeeeery interesting.

And the date did not go unnoticed by me, 1571, approximately 50 years after a certain Augustinian Monk named Martin Luther began to spread heresies.

Hmmmm… :hmmm:

-Tim-
This is an interesting comment, I have two questions …

1- Did Saint Mary ‘destroy the heresy’ of Lutheranism? Is it gone?

2- In light of the Joint Statement on Justification, what exactly is meant by Lutheran heresy? I think it it should be elaborated.
 
On the other hand, Kimberly Hahn found Mary the biggest obstacle her conversion.
Just speaking from observation of family and friends around me (I don’t have stats to beck this up), incredulity about Saint Mary and the claims around her seems (to me, at least) to be one of the biggest reasons Roman Catholics lose faith. It is very hard to keep young people interested in the church when they are equating Mary with the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus. 🤷
 
This is an interesting comment, I have two questions …

1- Did Saint Mary ‘destroy the heresy’ of Lutheranism? Is it gone?
…
In 1531, with the Guadalupe apparition, she brought many more into the Church than Luther took out a few years earlier.
 
Just speaking from observation of family and friends around me (I don’t have stats to beck this up), incredulity about Saint Mary and the claims around her seems (to me, at least) to be one of the biggest reasons Roman Catholics lose faith. It is very hard to keep young people interested in the church when they are equating Mary with the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus. 🤷
Could you elaborate a bit, I’m not sure I follow you…
 
Just speaking from observation of family and friends around me (I don’t have stats to beck this up), incredulity about Saint Mary and the claims around her seems (to me, at least) to be one of the biggest reasons Roman Catholics lose faith. It is very hard to keep young people interested in the church when they are equating Mary with the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus. 🤷
There was a major exodus from Catholicism in the latter part of the last century. Many Catholics became Protestant or lost faith entirely. At the present time the opposite is happening. Many are coming into the Catholic Church, finding the sacraments, the saints and especially Mary. This is not a personal observation of the few people I know. Most parishes have quite a few received into the Church every year. This was not the case twenty or thirty years ago. The Church in Africa is growing rapidly.

It is difficult to believe that an Orhodox Christian would demean the Mother of God using the terms you chose even if you think Catholic Marian piety is not in sync with your own. I would think most Orthodox would find your comments offensive. shrug!
 
It is difficult to believe that an Orthodox Christian would demean the Mother of God using the terms you chose even if you think Catholic Marian piety is not in sync with your own. I would think most Orthodox would find your comments offensive. shrug!
I fail to see where Hesychios demeaned Mary in any way. He seemed to be simply stating an observation and opinion that I would, in large part, agree with.
 
This is an interesting comment, I have two questions …

1- Did Saint Mary ‘destroy the heresy’ of Lutheranism? Is it gone?

2- In light of the Joint Statement on Justification, what exactly is meant by Lutheran heresy? I think it it should be elaborated.
1: no, I guess not. Good point.
2: I know nothing about a joint statement on justification. I’ve never heard of it.

I can’t stop anyone from discussing Hesychios’ comments about Catholics equating The Mother Of God with the Easter Bunny, but it really doesn’t address my original question re. her title of Destroyer of Heresies. I respectfully request that we stay on topic. Some of the posts have been excellent and have given me much to think about.

-Tim-
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top