H
hoosierdaddy
Guest
Hey there. Will do. Thank you. 
This could be true and I concede the possibility that it could. But it could also be made up to support the catholic position. I have no way of knowing, as Scripture doesnât say.Mary was a consecrated virgin to the Temple. Joseph according to some traditions, was her appointed guadian. It was not uncommon for very young virgins to be put under the protectorate of an older, devote and dedicated member of the elders of the temple, who probably included widowers.
I do not know if that is true between Mary and Joseph but it would account for him dying before the start of the Lords public ministry. It also accounts for the Lordâs brothers and sisters.
But in Hebrew, it was not uncommon for cousins and even uncles and aunts to be called âbrothers and sistersâ.
It is my belief that Mary was a consecrated virgin all her life.
I have not read that book by Aquinas; please let us know how it was when you are done.I just got a book called âAquinasâs Shorter Summa.â Has anyone in here ever read it? His theology on Mary is beautiful and pretty deep.
I think it was Cardinal Newman who said it best âThe more we focus on Mary, the more we focus on Christ. And the less we focus on Mary, the less we focus on Christ.â I understand what he means now.
God bless everyone.
Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, honestly, there have been some Catholics who have gone way overboard about Mary, there was even a group in the early centuries that worshipped her as a godess, but the Church condemed them.That does help. Thank you. Anything about her or anything she did was all because of God. I donât believe she was sinless but even if she were, it would still be because of God. Up til your post I got the impression that people believed she was âvrituousâ for lack of a better word in her own strength.
Youâre welcome. I am glad the church condemned them for worshipping her as a goddess (as long as they left room for repentance).Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, honestly, there have been some Catholics who have gone way overboard about Mary, there was even a group in the early centuries that worshipped her as a godess, but the Church condemed them.
But over all the Catholic Church always teaches that the purness of Mary comes 100% from Christ!
Human sexuality has been corrupted by original sin such that, though marraige was made for man so that those that have not the virtue of continence may live without sin, the act itself is corrupting.Doesnât the term âbrothers of Jesusâ qualify as proof that Mary had other children?
With all due respect everyone, what harm is done if Mary had other children? Would that be some sort of evil? (Edited by Moderator as unneccesary) What say you?
I disagree that sex between a husband and wife is âcorrupting.â As long as itâs done pure and not lustfully. Sex is meant for bonding with your mate and to have children.Human sexuality has been corrupted by original sin such that, though marraige was made for man so that those that have not the virtue of continence may live without sin, the act itself is corrupting.
If you find that hard to accept, consider the man who is forced to make his living as a second-hand car salesman. His primary duty is to his family, so it is not sinful to take the job. He need not actually lie to his customers. However if youâve ever done sales you will know that the whole process engenders a cyncial attitude to other people ⌠âWhatâs your full name?â Eyes down. First one to speak loses âŚ
Why do we have to prove a negative? Shouldnât you instead have to prove that Mary was a virgin her whole life? Where does Scripture say that Mary didnât sin? Just as you Catholics are offended by certain things I and others say, I am offended that you would declare a âthus saith the Lordâ when the Lord hadnât saith.Have them read the bible. **Thats a great start. The accusations against Mary not being a virgin her whole life is not something they can prove. **God chose Mary and gave her sanctifying grace and kept her from the original stain of sin. She gave her life to God and accepted it. Was she subject to sin?, yes but she did not. Even though scripture mentions Jesusâ brothers and cousins doesnât not imply Mary conceived children after him. When you start looking at the context of scripture and the language used it does not imply Mary had additional children. Read âCatholicism and Fundamentalismâ by Karl Keating. In it you will find a chapter on this topic in very great detail. Worth your time. I pray to all those asking the whyâs and whatâs that the holy Spirit helps them seek the answers. God bless you.
If I told you that there is a sale on bed linens at Walmart, would you believe me? Or would I have to write it down for you?Why do we have to prove a negative? Shouldnât you instead have to prove that Mary was a virgin her whole life? Where does Scripture say that Mary didnât sin? Just as you Catholics are offended by certain things I and others say, I am offended that you would declare a âthus saith the Lordâ when the Lord hadnât saith.
If I told you that there is a sale on bed linens at Walmart, would you believe me? Or would I have to write it down for you?
This is just being disrespectful and confrontational. Go find someone else to fight with.
If the early Church said that Mary remained ever-Virgin, would you believe it? Or would it have to be written down for you?
The fact that it is not written down in Scripture is a pretty good indication to me that itâs not true. But feel free to add to Godâs Word. Donât expect me to join you.
The Early Church Fathers of the Church did both. They told their disciples about the Perpetual Virginity of Mary AND they wrote of this in their letters to the Churches and to one another.
**Where does the Scriptures say that Mary was a perpetual virgin? **
Since you were not there (and they were), what documentation can you provide that what the ECFâs said is wrong?
Scripture. And I see that you canât provide Scripture to prove them right.![]()
I think Ezekiel 44:1-2 might be a good explanation for why Joseph did not have relations with Mary after the birth of Jesus:Also ask them if, as a man, they would feel comfortable having relations with a woman who had conceived by God. Joseph would have had to be an ego-maniac.
Then he brought me back to the outer gate of the sanctuary, facing the east; but it was closed. He said to me: This gate is to remain closed; it is not to be opened for anyone to enter by it; since the LORD, the God of Israel, has entered by it, it shall remain closed.
Acts 1:15 tells us,Doesnât the term âbrothers of Jesusâ qualify as proof that Mary had other children?
120 brothers? Thatâs not Mary Ever Virgin, thatâs Mary Ever Pregnant!During those days Peter stood up in the midst of the brothers (there was a group of about one hundred and twenty persons in the one place).
To the best of my knowledge, Mary is the only person in all of scripture who is addressed as âkecharitomeneâ.Where does Scripture say that Mary didnât sin?