Mass Annointing of the Sick at Mass?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jilly4ski
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jilly4ski

Guest
So, this weekend at Mass (4th Sunday of Advent), in preperation for Christmas, we had an annointing of the sick during mass, in place of the homily. Everyone was invited to go up and recieve the annointing. I did not go up as I had just been to confession before mass, though I was a little conflicted thinking that more sacramental graces couldn’t hurt, but honestly thought that annointing of the sick was used for people who are dying, or going into surgery, or other serious situations. I am relatively new to this area and have never seen this before. Is this common, licit, or even necessary?

Thanks in advance. 🙂
 
So, this weekend at Mass (4th Sunday of Advent), in preperation for Christmas, we had an annointing of the sick during mass, in place of the homily. Everyone was invited to go up and recieve the annointing. I did not go up as I had just been to confession before mass, though I was a little conflicted thinking that more sacramental graces couldn’t hurt, but honestly thought that annointing of the sick was used for people who are dying, or going into surgery, or other serious situations. I am relatively new to this area and have never seen this before. Is this common, licit, or even necessary?

Thanks in advance. 🙂
Well it’s wrong to replace the homily with the celebration of the Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick. Hopefully It was clearly communicated that it does NOT replace the need for Sacramental Confession. And Sacramental Confession is required prior, if there are known Mortal SIns to confess otherwise it could be another mortal sin. The Sacrament however is not only for those who are dying or at risk of dying. Those with SERIOUS illness and aged can receive it, properly disposed.
 
Well it’s wrong to replace the homily with the celebration of the Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick. Hopefully It was clearly communicated that it does NOT replace the need for Sacramental Confession. And Sacramental Confession is required prior, if there are known Mortal SIns to confess otherwise it could be another mortal sin. The Sacrament however is not only for those who are dying or at risk of dying. Those with SERIOUS illness and aged can receive it, properly disposed.
We have a special Mass during Lent for this for the elderly or sick, but I never knew that Confession was required before this Sacrament. In fact, our priests will do an anointing of the sick for an individual person after Mass if that individual is having some type of surgery the following day or days.

I agree though that skipping the homily was wrong. It would seem better if the priest had done this after Mass for the people who needed it.

Also, when we have it, the children even come up, and our Pastor has never said anything. I know for sure that these kids aren’t sick, but again poor catechesis about who should get this,:)🙂
 
It’s quite common in the Byzantine tradition, especially the Melkites, to have Anointing of the Sick celebrated during the four major fast periods: Advent, Great Lent, Apostles’ Fast, and of the Theotokos.
 
We had something like that (not this Sunday, but quite some time back), but the pastor explained who would come forward to be anointed and who wouldn’t. He asked for people in frail health, those with serious chronic health problems, and the elderly who would normally not call him. I think the Church wants to change the idea that the sacrament is only for those at death’s door. It is not quite that restrictive, anymore. Besides, when the sacrament is made that restrictive, then families won’t call for an anointing when someone really *is *ready to die, if they’re not ready to admit that death is near. Very bad.

Of course there was a homily, although it was a little shorter. The sacrament was conferred more in the place where there would be a baptism or marriage performed.
 
So, this weekend at Mass (4th Sunday of Advent), in preperation for Christmas, we had an annointing of the sick during mass, in place of the homily. Everyone was invited to go up and recieve the annointing. I did not go up as I had just been to confession before mass, though I was a little conflicted thinking that more sacramental graces couldn’t hurt, but honestly thought that annointing of the sick was used for people who are dying, or going into surgery, or other serious situations. I am relatively new to this area and have never seen this before. Is this common, licit, or even necessary?
Thanks in advance. 🙂
You are right in your understanding as to the intended use of this Sacrament. According to my Canon Law teacher it is not licit when administered to folks who just think they need some healing, however this is indeed a very common practice.
THOSE ON WHOM THE ANOINTING OF THE SICK IS TO BE CONFERRED
Can. 1004 §1. The anointing of the sick can be administered to a member of the faithful who, having reached the use of reason, begins to be in danger due to sickness or old age.
§2. This sacrament can be repeated if the sick person, having recovered, again becomes gravely ill or if the condition becomes more grave during the same illness.


Note this is one canon. In §2 it clearly states when the sacrament can be repeated. It doesn’t say “Every first Saturday during Mass for those who feel the need of healing.”

In my parish 99% of those at Mass go forward as did I when it was first introduced, though I stopped some time ago having read up on it in preparation for RCIA class. The fact so many people seek this clearly shows a profound need. This sacrament is not intended to be used this way. I think really reconciliation could well be promoted as the sacrament of healing it is, rather than promoting the Masses with the Sacrament of anointing of the sick. And/or to have such Masses but clarify the purpose of the anointing and the ways in which we all can join in communion with those who would appropriately go forward to be anointed, without going forward ourselves.

My daughter’s priest came to her hospital room before her surgery a few months ago and it was very important to her. When I went in for surgery on a broken arm last month she asked if the priest had anointed me and I was happy to say he had, after morning Mass right before I went to the hospital.

Although it’s not intended to be received in the way it often is, it’s also important not to postpone the sacrament until someone’s last breath either. 🙂
 
We have a special Mass during Lent for this for the elderly or sick, but I never knew that Confession was required before this Sacrament. In fact, our priests will do an anointing of the sick for an individual person after Mass if that individual is having some type of surgery the following day or days.

I agree though that skipping the homily was wrong. It would seem better if the priest had done this after Mass for the people who needed it.

Also, when we have it, the children even come up, and our Pastor has never said anything. I know for sure that these kids aren’t sick, but again poor catechesis about who should get this,:)🙂
Sacramental Confession is always necessary before the reception of another Sacrament when one is aware of Mortal sins. Unless in the case that the person is in a unconscious, it would be presumed that those at Mass are conscious. (usually) 😉
 
You are right in your understanding as to the intended use of this Sacrament. According to my Canon Law teacher it is not licit when administered to folks who just think they need some healing, however this is indeed a very common practice.
THOSE ON WHOM THE ANOINTING OF THE SICK IS TO BE CONFERRED
Can. 1004 §1. The anointing of the sick can be administered to a member of the faithful who, having reached the use of reason, begins to be in danger due to sickness or old age.
§2. This sacrament can be repeated if the sick person, having recovered, again becomes gravely ill or if the condition becomes more grave during the same illness.


Note this is one canon. In §2 it clearly states when the sacrament can be repeated. It doesn’t say “Every first Saturday during Mass for those who feel the need of healing.”

In my parish 99% of those at Mass go forward as did I when it was first introduced, though I stopped some time ago having read up on it in preparation for RCIA class. The fact so many people seek this clearly shows a profound need. This sacrament is not intended to be used this way. I think really reconciliation could well be promoted as the sacrament of healing it is, rather than promoting the Masses with the Sacrament of anointing of the sick. And/or to have such Masses but clarify the purpose of the anointing and the ways in which we all can join in communion with t!hose who would appropriately go forward to be anointed, without going forward ourselves.

My daughter’s priest came to her hospital room before her surgery a few months ago and it was very important to her. When I went in for surgery on a broken arm last month she asked if the priest had anointed me and I was happy to say he had, after morning Mass right before I went to the hospital.

Although it’s not intended to be received in the way it often is, it’s also important not to postpone the sacrament until someone’s last breath either. 🙂
I agree 100%! My husband has been in the hospital several times, and each time (once at the last minute) our Pastor was there to administer the Sacrament of the Sick, literally almost following him into the operating room! He joked afterwards that that was the"fastest anointing he had ever done".

At the time my husband was suffering from MRSA. Another was when he had his hip replaced. I really appreciate this, but wish that he would give more “guidelines” and “keep to them” when he is has a Mass of the Anointing.
 
We have never had a Mass for the Anointing of the Sick on a Sunday. This has always been scheduled during the week in our parish.
 
You are right in your understanding as to the intended use of this Sacrament. According to my Canon Law teacher it is not licit when administered to folks who just think they need some healing, however this is indeed a very common practice.
THOSE ON WHOM THE ANOINTING OF THE SICK IS TO BE CONFERRED
Can. 1004 §1. The anointing of the sick can be administered to a member of the faithful who, having reached the use of reason, begins to be in danger due to sickness or old age.
§2. This sacrament can be repeated if the sick person, having recovered, again becomes gravely ill or if the condition becomes more grave during the same illness.


Note this is one canon. In §2 it clearly states when the sacrament can be repeated. It doesn’t say “Every first Saturday during Mass for those who feel the need of healing.”

In my parish 99% of those at Mass go forward as did I when it was first introduced, though I stopped some time ago having read up on it in preparation for RCIA class. The fact so many people seek this clearly shows a profound need. This sacrament is not intended to be used this way. I think really reconciliation could well be promoted as the sacrament of healing it is, rather than promoting the Masses with the Sacrament of anointing of the sick. And/or to have such Masses but clarify the purpose of the anointing and the ways in which we all can join in communion with those who would appropriately go forward to be anointed, without going forward ourselves.

My daughter’s priest came to her hospital room before her surgery a few months ago and it was very important to her. When I went in for surgery on a broken arm last month she asked if the priest had anointed me and I was happy to say he had, after morning Mass right before I went to the hospital.

Although it’s not intended to be received in the way it often is, it’s also important not to postpone the sacrament until someone’s last breath either. 🙂
Exactly. The Sacrament of Reconciliation shouldn’t be touted as a remedy for those in need of physical healing any more than the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick should be used in place of confession. Neither does every ailment warrant anointing, any more than a penitent should seek confession for every repeat of a venial sin. There are spiritual remedies with great efficacy that are not sacraments which are appropriate for these things.

I have this question, though: Is it correct to say that the sacrament is appropriately used for injuries or illnesses that are grave in terms of the severity of the resulting disability, rather than death? In other words, is the Sacrament is appropriate for conditions that have or could lead to blindness, deafness, or immobility? I would think so, as both Jesus and the Apostles healed and laid hands on for illnesses that did not threaten death.
 
Sacramental Confession is always necessary before the reception of another Sacrament when one is aware of Mortal sins. Unless in the case that the person is in a unconscious, it would be presumed that those at Mass are conscious. (usually) 😉
except of course baptism 🙂
a person’s first valid baptism washes away all previous sins, mortal and venial 👍
 
So, this weekend at Mass (4th Sunday of Advent), in preperation for Christmas, we had an annointing of the sick during mass, in place of the homily. Everyone was invited to go up and recieve the annointing. I did not go up as I had just been to confession before mass, though I was a little conflicted thinking that more sacramental graces couldn’t hurt, but honestly thought that annointing of the sick was used for people who are dying, or going into surgery, or other serious situations. I am relatively new to this area and have never seen this before. Is this common, licit, or even necessary?

Thanks in advance. 🙂
This sort of thing causes a lot of problems. The Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick is intended only for the seriously ill. While it is true that our understanding has “developed” in recent decades and it is no longer reserved for those who are outright dying, some have taken this altogether too far and have reduced this important Sacrament into nothing more than a nice ceremony where everyone is invited to be anointed, regardless of whether or not they are in-need (and thereby even eligible) to be anointed.

It’s not licit (because only those who are “seriously ill” may be anointed) and it’s certainly not necessary–not by any stretch.

It also causes serious pastoral problems for priests who actually desire to administer this Sacrament licitly. In my own experience, I’ve had many people request Anointing of the Sick when they are obviously not eligible for it. I ask “are you sick?” and often, the response is “what does that have to do with it?”
 
This sort of thing causes a lot of problems. The Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick is intended only for the seriously ill. While it is true that our understanding has “developed” in recent decades and it is no longer reserved for those who are outright dying, some have taken this altogether too far and have reduced this important Sacrament into nothing more than a nice ceremony where everyone is invited to be anointed, regardless of whether or not they are in-need (and thereby even eligible) to be anointed.

It’s not licit (because only those who are “seriously ill” may be anointed) and it’s certainly not necessary–not by any stretch.

It also causes serious pastoral problems for priests who actually desire to administer this Sacrament licitly. In my own experience, I’ve had many people request Anointing of the Sick when they are obviously not eligible for it. I ask “are you sick?” and often, the response is “what does that have to do with it?”
we used to have communal anointing of the sick at the Saturday morning mass each week at my home parish. For years the same people went up to be anointed each and every week even though the priest would say that it was for people with serious illness who haven’t been anointed in awhile. When I new pastor came he reduced it to once a month that it was offered, but the same people still get up. I think they see it as keeping them from getting more ill.

In my work parish we have it once a month following a Sunday mass in our chapel Only a few come to be anointed and usually we don’t see repeats. I guess our catechesis is better on the sacrament.
 
We have had a separate service during the week with the specification it is for the elderly and seriously sick.

(just slightly off track question)

Can those seriously depressed or hospitalized in a psychiatric ward receive the sacrament (ie. considered sick enough)? Obviously not if psychotic or delusional. I’m thinking primarily for those hospitalized for a suicide attempt or breakdown who are post acute crisis. I understand Confession is part of this and therefore the person would have to be stabilized. Also, how about people stabilized and discharged (or never hospitalized) beginning outpatient recovery? (you can tell I’ve worked with such people? 😃 )

Thank you.
 
We have had a separate service during the week with the specification it is for the elderly and seriously sick.

(just slightly off track question)

Can those seriously depressed or hospitalized in a psychiatric ward receive the sacrament (ie. considered sick enough)? Obviously not if psychotic or delusional. I’m thinking primarily for those hospitalized for a suicide attempt or breakdown who are post acute crisis. I understand Confession is part of this and therefore the person would have to be stabilized. Also, how about people stabilized and discharged (or never hospitalized) beginning outpatient recovery? (you can tell I’ve worked with such people? 😃 )

Thank you.
This really is a difficult question.

Here’s how the Church addresses that in #53 of the Introduction to Anointing of the Sick

Some types of mental sickness are now classified as serious. Those who are judged to have a serious mental illness and who would be strengthened by the sacrament may be anointed (see no. 5). The anointing may be repeated in accordance with the conditions for other kinds of serious illness (see no. 9).

Paragraphs 5 and 9 don’t say anything particular about mental illnesses.

Those are the instructions, and as you can see, they’re pretty vague. The one thing we do have to keep in mind though is that the Church consistently talks about serious illnesses, whether physical or mental. The Sacrament should still not be administered too loosely.
 
Thanks for all the replies everyone. It was a very strange event (unfortunately one of many I have witnessed at my present parish.) I sat in the pew and prayed (though it was most amusing to watch the people walk back to the pews not knowing what to do with their oily hands.)

God Bless,
 
This happened at the church I go to a couple of weeks ago. Pretty much everyone there went up to be annointed. I’m not Catholic so I didn’t, of course, but even I wondered why the seemingly healthy were going up.
 
Can people with physical disabilities, like Cerebral Palsy, justifiably receive Anointing of the Sick?
 
The one time I experienced this in my parish I was the only one who didn’t go up to be anointed. I saw an Anglican who had no idea what this was all about go up because the guy who was trying to get her to convert had brought her (she later went to Communion too) and a friend in her early twenties whose mother berated her into going by asking “What do you mean you’re not going up? Do you think you’re perfect?” Her mother was the parish’s catechetical coordinator and I was surprised at her lack of knowledge.

Now we have it every month in conjunction with our Holy Hour of Adoration. I don’t know if the same small group of people who usually attend Adoration are anointed month after month.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top