B
Bailey2
Guest
Wow, you know, these filing up for anointing with oil sounds like a healing service rather than the Sacrament of the Sick en masse. We have never had such a thing here. As I said, it is separate and specific. Knowing me, I’d be in the pastor’s office asking the differences and then suggesting some public catechesis on it. 
Fr.David, thank you for your response. From what I read here it seems those with “serious” mental (or emotional?) illness qualify but that it is the determination of serious that is the place of discernment. Obviously someone mildly depressed or anxious wouldn’t qualify (for the actual sacrament as opposed to healing service) since it is not life-threatening or seriously disabling.
In my experience, those afflicted tend to act with shame (ie. hide). It is nice to know (if I am understanding it correctly), that the Church recognizes it differently…though I understand it is a delicate issue since due to the pharmaceutically paid media “depression” and “anxiety,” even “OCD” means just about everything in the general population. Perhaps recognizing that the ones hiding (and their families), isolated from the community in a sort of fear/embarrassment, need to know about the Church’s stance on mental illness and provisions for healing. Hope I am OK in saying this. Thanks again.
Fr.David, thank you for your response. From what I read here it seems those with “serious” mental (or emotional?) illness qualify but that it is the determination of serious that is the place of discernment. Obviously someone mildly depressed or anxious wouldn’t qualify (for the actual sacrament as opposed to healing service) since it is not life-threatening or seriously disabling.
In my experience, those afflicted tend to act with shame (ie. hide). It is nice to know (if I am understanding it correctly), that the Church recognizes it differently…though I understand it is a delicate issue since due to the pharmaceutically paid media “depression” and “anxiety,” even “OCD” means just about everything in the general population. Perhaps recognizing that the ones hiding (and their families), isolated from the community in a sort of fear/embarrassment, need to know about the Church’s stance on mental illness and provisions for healing. Hope I am OK in saying this. Thanks again.