Z
zab
Guest
Before Pope John Paul II wrote Redemptionis Sacramentum, there were rare occassions when the deacon was put on the spot to decide what should be done when a priest unexpectantly did not show up. At that time, there were also parishes in the Archdiocese that were priestless. These parishes had Communion Services regularly. As time went on, it became apparent to our pastor and I’m sure other priests and the bishops of the Archdiocese that having Communion services during the weekday was not the best option when there was no priest to offer Mass. Redemptionis Sacramentum may have had something to do with that as well. I doubt that my former pastor knowingly engaged in liturgical abuse.I’m interested to know besides those of us that have already mentioned our parishes have a communion service during the week-days, how about you others and your parishes do you have it?
So it’s against the rules to have communion service on week-days if you have Mass the preceding or following Sundays. Am I reading that correctly…sometimes I have a hard time following the written language of the GIRM. I so appreciate all you smart folks here that understand this stuff so easily. Sure helps me out.
Thanks
We no longer have a retired priest to offer Mass once a week on the pastor’s day off. Now the deacon presides at the Liturgy of the Word and Benediction.