medjugorie

• Thread starter Thread starter Monicathree
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Troy7:
I used to be a follower of Medjugorie…until last year when I realized the church has finally spoken against it.
How did it come to your attention that the church had spoken against it?
40.png
Troy7:
I came to believe in “M” thru a protestant author who really helped to get those messages out there…his name is Wayne Wieble(sp?) I wonder, after all these years, has he now converted? Does he still follow? anyone have info on this guy?
According to the following article, he converted to RCC in 1991.

georgiabulletin.org/local/1998/04/02/c/

40.png
nobody:
Perhaps I should start another thread with this question, but I’ll try it here, first.

What is the plan to get the information to the people of the Church when a “ruling” is made on an apparition/vision/message?
I don’t really understand the question.

It is easy for a person to find out what the local bishop has to say about an alleged apparition/vision/message, just ask.

For most of the popular ones you can easily find the information on your own.

For myself, I take what the bishops say rather than what those who promote the “apparition/vision/message” say the bishop (or Church) says about it.

Same as how I deal with groups like the SSPX. I take the work of the Church rather than what the SSPX says the Church said.

40.png
ByzCath:
I don’t really understand the question.

It is easy for a person to find out what the local bishop has to say about an alleged apparition/vision/message, just ask.

For most of the popular ones you can easily find the information on your own.

For myself, I take what the bishops say rather than what those who promote the “apparition/vision/message” say the bishop (or Church) says about it.

Same as how I deal with groups like the SSPX. I take the work of the Church rather than what the SSPX says the Church said.
I’m not so sure its easy to find out what is approved or not. Look at the confusion in this thread, myself included.
Here we have some saying the Medjugorie apparitions are disapproved, which I didn’t know about before but now believe based on the posts in this thread and links to the relevant documents. Others have said they are not yet approved but from what I now understand that is a red herring because the Pope does not have to make any investigation or ruling as a local decision has already been made three times ruling against it within the authority of the bishops to do that.
So again I say its not so easy to find out these things, especially in this case where you have the local priests still promoting the apparitions and messages.

40.png
GoldenArrow:
Three separate church commissions have ruled “Non-Constat Supernaturalitate,” meaning, there is nothing supernatural taking place at Medjugorje.
I believe you are confusing Non-Constat Supernaturalitate with Constat Non Supernaturalitate. The first essentially means that the Church has not been able to say that there is a supernatural event occuring. The second essentially means that the Church has said that there is not any supernatural even occuring. There is a difference between the two.

As far as I have been able to ascertain, the Church has not said that there is a supernatural event occuring while the event is occuring. In other words, the Church has not passed on an apparition that actually occured, while it was occuring; only after it had come to a conclusion has the Church spoken. Assuming that is correct, then it should not be a surprise to anyone that the Church has not said that a supernatural event is occuring at Medjugorje.

What the Church permits. As the already cited statements note, Catholics may go to Medjugorje. Such pilgrimages may even include priests acting as chaplains, as opposed to officially sponsoring them. Also, the Church has not suppressed discussion of Medjugorje, therefore, it is allowed. Common sense, however, says that Catholics on both sides of the Medjugorje issue should exercise prudence and charity in speaking of others who believe differently. Medjugorje is not a litmus test of orthodoxy, though every Catholic will have a moral obligation to accept the judgement of Rome, in the manner Pope Benedict explained, should it ever be rendered.

St. Augustine probably gave the simpliest and most helpful rule for all matters of the Church’s life when he said (in my paraphrase):

In necessary things unity,
in undecided things freedom,
and in all things charity.

www.ewtn.com
lay your cursor over (not click on) Faith-upper right hand corner
then lay it over Catholic Q&A
then go over to Faith FAQ’S and click on Blessed Virgin Mary and then click on Medjugorje

40.png
Troy7:
I used to be a follower of Medjugorie…until last year when I realized the church has finally spoken against it. The one avenue I disagree with the church on and feel THEY themselves are causing confusion is that they are ruling NOTHING supernatural is occurring…they couldnt be more wrong and that is why people are choosing to believe their OWN EYES rather than the churchs words. The Church NEEDS to ADMIT that supernatural stuff IS happening…but that it is from the DEVIL. I dont know why the church continues to be its own worst enemy with its constant “ambiguousness” in many things.

I came to believe in “M” thru a protestant author who really helped to get those messages out there…his name is Wayne Wieble(sp?) I wonder, after all these years, has he now converted? Does he still follow? anyone have info on this guy?
My recollection is that he had converted, although it has been several years since I read anything about it. He was a journalist, and I believer married to a Catholic (I seem to recall he was Lutheran?).

Thank you to all who participated in this thread!

You have provided a wealth of information through links and discussion for people wishing to look into the church’s position on Medjugorgie.

I am sure the OP has more than enough advice and material to approach her priest with now, should she so desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back