I understood the term “merit” to imply that we deserve Salvation (or that is owed to us);
That is not what the Catholic Church teaches.
there are people who believe that… all someone needs to do is recite some formula and claim Jesus as Savior… others that you be born in the Church (do nothing else till you die)…
They would be wrong.
others that you be a “good” person…
If that means, “keep the Commandments”, they would be right.
Revelation 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
I may be wrong but I’ve never learned that my Catholicity was a seal that secured my Salvation–and I’ve yet to find the “keys” that guarantee Salvation.
I don’t know why you are even bringing that up. Did I say that you were once saved always saved?
…as for the Judge… I played one in hs–it’s better than being the king!
There’s but One Judge… and He has determined that we must “…come to Me…” and “…without Me, you can do nothing…”
Thank you. There is one Judge. And you ain’t Him. But you offered more information. It would seem that He considers “coming to Him” to be a meritorious action. Otherwise, He would not reward that action with eternal life. Am I right?
…ah but there’s the twist… it is free because there’s nothing we can do to Obtain Salvation; it has been granted, as St. Paul said, in Christ Jesus, even before Creation.
On the contrary, doing the Father’s will, obeying the Son, is how we obtain salvation:
Deuteronomy 30:18-20
King James Version (KJV)
18I denounce unto you this day, that ye shall surely perish, and that ye shall not prolong your days upon the land, whither thou passest over Jordan to go to possess it.
19I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:
20That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.
Obedience is what God demands:
Hebrews 5:9
And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;
Yet, that does not mean that anyone can get it, whenever and however we wish… do you recall Jesus’ parable of the wedding feast, the one where the king/wealthy man invited his best budds over?
Again, I never said such a thing, so why are you introducing it? The comment you made with which I differ is this:
You said:
None of us merits Salvation!
The Church teaches that God is Judge. He decides who merits and who does not.
…when the festivities were about to begin all of his special guests (the people of Israel) shunned him by refusing to attend and by abusing his servants (prophets); he sent his armies to exterminate the ungreatful bunch and ordered his servants to *fill the house *with everyone they found on the roads; it became a huge gathering… but there was one joker in the midst who set his own terms and got kicked out–you see, he did not bother to dress for the occasion (Apocalypse 7:9-17); then there are the ones of whom Jesus foretold “…not all who call me Lord, will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven…”
The ones who remained, the ones who dressed up, obviously behaved meritoriously.
The one who didn’t, was expelled.
Have you not read the rest of Matt 7:
Matthew 7:21
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Obviously, those who have done the Will of the Father are judged meritorious.
Correct!, we have nothing of merit… for there’s none righteous, not even one!
56 Now the sting of death is sin: and the power of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, who hath given us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye steadfast and unmoveable: always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labour is not in vain in the Lord. (1 Corinthians 15:56-58–DRV)
It is not that we merit anything at all (if I preach the Gospel, I’ve done nothing but what was expected/demanded of me, useless servant!–paraphrasing St. Paul)… what matters is that we do it in Christ for it is Christ Jesus Who exalts us!
Not in your eyes. But God’s eyes are the one’s that count. And He says that obeying His Son, obeying His Commandments, merits eternal life.
…which brings us to St. John 15:1-10; since we are completely dependent upon Christ, there’s nothing that we can do to merit Salvation–should I have said: ‘outside of Christ, there’s nothing we can do to merit Salvation?’
Yes. Because with Christ, we merit according to His works. His merits are applied to us.
…I don’t follow… did you mean that I too should build on Christ or were you intimating that I am equating myself to the Rock? …if the first, did not know I hadn’t been… sorry!
Huh? Its your saying. I merely said, “back at ya.”
Amen! Sincerely,
De Maria