Messages from eBay

• Thread starter Thread starter JohnL_Duncan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JohnL_Duncan

Hello All,
I’ve been contacting eBay about selling consecrated hosts trying to get them to change their policy.If anyone is interested in our e-mails read below.​

Hello John,
Thank you for once again writing in to let us know your feelings on the completed sale of this item which was listed through our site by one of our members. My name is Christobal, and I will be happy to assist you further.
We have responded to all of your previous correspondence explaining why this item was allowed to be sold and we understand that you do not agree with our decision.
We respect your feelings and we do not expect you to agree with our decision but we ask that you please also respect eBays decision to keep our site a worldwide marketplace where nearly anything that is not against the law can be sold by nearly anyone in the world regardless of religious belief, race, sex or physical ability.
However, please remember that eBay does not possess and sell the actual items listed on our site, they are listed by individuals not affiliated with eBay, and so long as they comply with site policies, we are involved in the transactions very minimally.
Your concerns have been passed on through the proper channels and future correspondence will not change our decision to keep this completed item showing on the site. Please be aware that this will be the last correspondence you will receive from us regarding this matter.
You have explained your views and we have explained our decision.
Please understand that future correspondence will be read but will not receive a reply.
Be assured that we do appreciate you writing in to express your concerns.
Regards,
Christobal
Community Watch
Trust and Safety Department​

Dear eBay community watch,
Please keep in mind that you might be allowing fraud to happen by allowing these items to be sold.
It is physically impossible to tell if a host is consecrated or not. By simply stating that it is, suddenly an item which costs pennies now costs thousands and eBay may be setting itself up for a lawsuit.
Please reconsider banning such items on these terms.
John​

To: John Duncan
Subject: BA62827 Response to your email from eBay’s Banned Items.

Hello John,
Thank you for taking the time to write us. We know your time is valuable and we appreciate your taking a moment to express concern over this particular item.We understand that you are upset at having seen certain Catholic items or items related to the Pope on eBay, including item #6169851381. Because eBay’s community is a diverse, international group of more than 135 million users with varied backgrounds and beliefs, there are times when some items listed on eBay by sellers might be offensive to at least some of our users somewhere in the world. At times, members may see listings that they may consider morally wrong or objectionable. However, even though these listings may be offensive to some, please remember that most of the time the law does not prohibit the items.Due to the fact that eBay’s focus is to have a free and diverse community, we are reluctant to interfere with listings that are not illegal. Regarding offensive items, there are many items that are considered sacred to many people of various religions, and we sometimes hear complaints about these items. Examples would be Catholic relics of saints, Mormon (LDS) garments, certain Buddhist tablets, etc. However, eBay has made the decision not to prohibit any item only on the basis of the item being endowed with sacred properties by certain religious groups. In general, eBay will remove items for a violation of our Offensive Materials policy only in extreme examples in which the listing explicitly promotes hatred, violence, or racial intolerance. However, we do not remove religious items that are otherwise legal for sale and do not violate any other eBay listing policy.Please keep in mind that many of us at eBay may also share your distaste with an item, and may not support the sale. In fact, eBay has many Catholic employees. However, we do our best to understand and tolerate the many viewpoints held by our worldwide community.The Eucharist is not illegal to sell, and is generally allowed on eBay as long as the seller does not otherwise include hateful text or images in the listing.Although we realize that you may not agree with this decision on eBay’s part, we hope that you can respect the diverse and open nature of eBay’s marketplace.Again, thank you for your report. We appreciate your help in keeping eBay a safe and reputable forum to conduct business.
Regards,
eBay Community Watch​

To: eBay Customer Support
Subject: Please ban consecrated hosts
Please place consecrated hosts on your banned list. I, as well as 1.1 billion others believe that this is an unholy act and should not be tolerated.This is in response to Item number: 6169851381

eBay will change their policy in a heartbeat if every Catholic in the world refused to use their site. It’s not up to eBay. It is up to us.

40.png
Brad:
eBay will change their policy in a heartbeat if every Catholic in the world refused to use their site. It’s not up to eBay. It is up to us.
I agree,lets get to it:mad:

I will no longer use their site until they ban the sale of the Holy Eucharist :mad:

I cancelled my membership last night. No regrets here!!😃

Their behavior in this matter is deplorable & discriminatory. Totally unacceptable.

It’s terrible how they are just telling me it’s too bad. It makes me angry :mad: (insert Hulk growls and clothes ripping here).

40.png
Pious:
I will no longer use their site until they ban the sale of the Holy Eucharist :mad:
I have given them until Saturday to change their policy, or they’ll lose $20-$40 a month in seller’s fees from me.

I can’t believe any of you guys are getting responses! They’ve totally ignored me!

Oh well, that’s probably best for my sanity.

Can one of you techies start a “BOYCOTT E-BAY” web site???PLEASE?? 😃 Perhaps Catholic Answers CAN START IT!
BTW selling Mormon Underwear is despicable as well. :mad:

JohnD–

Those are word for word the same letters we all are getting. Occasionally they will throw in a new line–like one I got that basically said the Eucharist is equivalent to a dinner mint. There is a distinct anti-Catholic sentiment at work in the decision.

40.png
st_felicity:
Occasionally they will throw in a new line–like one I got that basically said the Eucharist is equivalent to a dinner mint.
that one made me quite livid. I cannot believe their ignorance/bigotry/hatred/whatever it is that’s driving their STUPIDITY!

40.png
sweetchuck:
that one made me quite livid. I cannot believe their ignorance/bigotry/hatred/whatever it is that’s driving their STUPIDITY!
Did you get that one too? Or do you mean when you saw it posted on the other thread? I’d be interested to know if anyone else got such nastiness…

Here is my latest e-mail from eBay. Other trading forums refer to them as “sleazebay” which is increasingly appropriate.
Thank you for writing in to Safe Harbor with your concerns, I will be happy to assist you.
Thank you for once again writing in to let us know your feelings on the completed sale of this item which was listed through our site by one of our members.
We understand that you do not agree with our decision. We respect your feelings and we do not expect you to agree with our decision but we ask that you please also respect eBays decision to keep our site a worldwide marketplace where nearly anything that is not against the law can be sold by nearly anyone in the world regardless of religious belief, race, sex or physical ability. Please remember that eBay does not possess and sell the actual items listed on our site, they are listed by individuals not affiliated with eBay, and so long as they comply with site policies, we are involved in the transactions very minimally.
Your concerns have been passed on through the proper channels and future correspondence will not change our decision to keep this completed item showing on the site. Please be aware that this will be the last correspondence you will receive from us regarding this matter. You have explained your views and we have explained our decision. Future correspondence will be read but will not receive a reply.
We do appreciate you writing in to express your concerns.
eBay Community Watch

40.png
st_felicity:
Did you get that one too? Or do you mean when you saw it posted on the other thread? I’d be interested to know if anyone else got such nastiness…
No, I didn’t get that email, but I read yours and have no reason to doubt its legitimacy nor your integrity. I couldn’t believe the gall with which they responded to you. I was quite livid, because, I’m an EBayer (perhaps not for long), and their disrespect is driving me nuts.

40.png
JohnL_Duncan:

Hello John,
Thank you for once again writing in to let us know your feelings on the completed sale of this item which was listed through our site by one of our members. My name is Christobal, and I will be happy to assist you further.
We have responded to all of your previous correspondence explaining why this item was allowed to be sold and we understand that you do not agree with our decision.
We respect your feelings and we do not expect you to agree with our decision but we ask that you please also respect eBays decision to keep our site a worldwide marketplace where nearly anything that is not against the law can be sold by nearly anyone in the world regardless of religious belief, race, sex or physical ability.
However, please remember that eBay does not possess and sell the actual items listed on our site, they are listed by individuals not affiliated with eBay, and so long as they comply with site policies, we are involved in the transactions very minimally.
Your concerns have been passed on through the proper channels and future correspondence will not change our decision to keep this completed item showing on the site. Please be aware that this will be the last correspondence you will receive from us regarding this matter.
You have explained your views and we have explained our decision.
Please understand that future correspondence will be read but will not receive a reply.
Be assured that we do appreciate you writing in to express your concerns.
Regards,
Christobal
Community Watch
Trust and Safety Department​

Dear eBay community watch,
Please keep in mind that you might be allowing fraud to happen by allowing these items to be sold.
It is physically impossible to tell if a host is consecrated or not. By simply stating that it is, suddenly an item which costs pennies now costs thousands and eBay may be setting itself up for a lawsuit.
Please reconsider banning such items on these terms.
John​

To: John Duncan
Subject: BA62827 Response to your email from eBay’s Banned Items.

Hello John,
Thank you for taking the time to write us. We know your time is valuable and we appreciate your taking a moment to express concern over this particular item.We understand that you are upset at having seen certain Catholic items or items related to the Pope on eBay, including item #6169851381. Because eBay’s community is a diverse, international group of more than 135 million users with varied backgrounds and beliefs, there are times when some items listed on eBay by sellers might be offensive to at least some of our users somewhere in the world. At times, members may see listings that they may consider morally wrong or objectionable. However, even though these listings may be offensive to some, please remember that most of the time the law does not prohibit the items.Due to the fact that eBay’s focus is to have a free and diverse community, we are reluctant to interfere with listings that are not illegal. Regarding offensive items, there are many items that are considered sacred to many people of various religions, and we sometimes hear complaints about these items. Examples would be Catholic relics of saints, Mormon (LDS) garments, certain Buddhist tablets, etc. However, eBay has made the decision not to prohibit any item only on the basis of the item being endowed with sacred properties by certain religious groups. In general, eBay will remove items for a violation of our Offensive Materials policy only in extreme examples in which the listing explicitly promotes hatred, violence, or racial intolerance. However, we do not remove religious items that are otherwise legal for sale and do not violate any other eBay listing policy.Please keep in mind that many of us at eBay may also share your distaste with an item, and may not support the sale. In fact, eBay has many Catholic employees. However, we do our best to understand and tolerate the many viewpoints held by our worldwide community.The Eucharist is not illegal to sell, and is generally allowed on eBay as long as the seller does not otherwise include hateful text or images in the listing.Although we realize that you may not agree with this decision on eBay’s part, we hope that you can respect the diverse and open nature of eBay’s marketplace.Again, thank you for your report. We appreciate your help in keeping eBay a safe and reputable forum to conduct business.
Regards,
eBay Community Watch​

To: eBay Customer Support
Subject: Please ban consecrated hosts
Please place consecrated hosts on your banned list. I, as well as 1.1 billion others believe that this is an unholy act and should not be tolerated.This is in response to Item number: 6169851381
Cancelled my account. Booyah!

When you get the survay that asks how you rate the service of eBay concerning your complain–be specific and let 'em have it!!!

I did forward the email I got that looked just like nike’s only with this third paragraph:
"…understand that you do not agree with our decision.

**Since the seller was given the wafer at the mass, the term, “theft,” **
does not accurately depict his/her actions. You may imagine being handed an extra mint at the end of a meal. The person is not required to consume the mint before he/she leaves the premise.

We respect your feelings and we do not expect you to agree …"

to the Catholic League. I dunno…maybe the dude that responded to me just had his knickers in a wad…and wanted to say so… IMHO–I did give a good argument specifically concerning Fraud and theft…:confused: It appears it was just dropped in the middle of the form letter. His name was Kenton. Notice his grammar and use of the wrong word doesn’t fit with the rest of the letter–crazy…they’re having uneducated lackies doin’ their dirty work…:nope: Tells me they don’t take these complaints seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back