Messages from eBay

• Thread starter Thread starter JohnL_Duncan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
don’t even give their site traffic…my belief is that the less attention the better…

Good for you John taking on this fight with e-bay! As for me I am through with them also. If you had not posted this I am sure a lot of people would not have known that this is going on.

40.png
sweetchuck:
I can’t believe any of you guys are getting responses! They’ve totally ignored me!

Oh well, that’s probably best for my sanity.

They have never answered me either. I will be cancelling soon and writing a long letter as to why when I do.

It was heart breaking to see that some people have thought it was profitable to sell the Eucharist. That being said…

The guy who did it wasn’t Catholic. He doesn’t know any better, what else can you expect? If I had some Buddha statue that was extremely sacred and worth a lot, I’d try it on Ebay too. (I don’t know their rules etc…)

I’m not saying it is right, it definitely is not. And we need to defend our Lord as the K of C guy did but…Ebay isn’t at fault. We don’t go after car companies when someone abuses the use of a vehicle.

Many people are probably going to be angry with me on this post, I’m sorry. All we can do in this case is what the K of C guy did.

eBay isn’t responsible for someone selling the eucharist for the first time, but is responsible for not pulling it off shelf or banning further such activities, which is worse than selling the eucharist

40.png
abcdefg:
eBay isn’t responsible for someone selling the eucharist for the first time, but is responsible for not pulling it off shelf or banning further such activities, which is worse than selling the eucharist
Why? Do they have a policy regarding this type of issue? I honestly don’t know. I hope they will make a judgement call and just never let it happen. But do they have an obligation to??

40.png
IsaacSheen:
The guy who did it wasn’t Catholic. He doesn’t know any better, what else can you expect? If I had some Buddha statue that was extremely sacred and worth a lot, I’d try it on Ebay too. (I don’t know their rules etc…)

…Ebay isn’t at fault. We don’t go after car companies when someone abuses the use of a vehicle.

Many people are probably going to be angry with me on this post, I’m sorry.
I’m not angry at you, but consider the following… This is the text of my letter that solicited the “dinner mint” comment. I believe there is ample reason to consider this listing to be in violation of eBay’s own rules. To leave it up in violation of its own rules is indicative of a bias. Using your analogy about cars–you WOULD be responsible if you gave a drunk the keys to your car.

The part in red is my primary argument.

Dear Christobal,

I have no problem concerning collectable items related to the Pope being sold on eBay.

I ask that that you try to understand the issue that Catholics have concerning specifically the host for sale in the auction in question.

Please understand that Catholics believe that a consecrated host actually is the Body and Blood of Jesus (which if your company believed, would be illegal to sell on your site just as the ashes of holocaust victims would be illegal, or selling my kidney would be illegal). Furthermore, there is no doubt that this item was obtained by fraud and removed from the premises by theft and has made its way to be sold on eBay. A non Catholic is not allowed to receive the Eucharist–the seller of this item admits to being non-Catholic. That is FRAUD. He then left the service where he was given the Host. The seller admits to removing the property from the premises without permission since the Eucharist is meant to be consumed immediately upon reception. That is THEFT. If you need an illustration…would it be acceptable to eBay for me to start a “used book” business on eBay with my major suppliers being various public libraries? They will hand me books without reservation and I can take them home and sell them on eBay. They may not expect me to make money off the transaction, but I’d have very little out of pocket–in fact, other than my own earnings from the sale, the only other entity to profit from the sale would be eBay. What do you think–wanna go into business? Books have a definite monetary value.

To Catholics, Jesus is priceless.

In summary:
  1. It is human flesh (I do not expect eBay to accept this reason)
  2. It was obtained by fraud (this is a reason to remove the item)
  3. It is stolen property (this is also a reason this item should have been removed)
    All of my argument is separate from the offensive and sacrilegious aspects which I believe eBay does not care a whit about. If you will not remove such listings in the future, you are violating your own rules and one can only infer a distinctly anti-Catholic sentiment when you are willing to change your rules so that offensive material can remain for sale. Until a public apology and a promise to remove any listings of consecrated hosts in the future is issued by eBay, I will not use your site again to buy or sell, and I will be vocal about why.
Sincerely,

40.png
st_felicity:
  1. It is human flesh (I do not expect eBay to accept this reason)
  2. It was obtained by fraud (this is a reason to remove the item)
  3. It is stolen property (this is also a reason this item should have been removed)
I agree with you on all of these. I know the guy selling it and Ebay don’t care at all. I don’t expect them to either. I see what you are saying about fraud and stolen property. I think that is probably the best argument for it. Thank you! :blessyou:

IsaacSheen
selling the Eucharist is hatred towards Catholics.
I’ll strengthen my statement a little. even without new rules being made, eBay is still responsible for not pulling it off shelf. There’s no need asking eBay to make a new rule regarding this. they just don’t follow the existing rules. a clarification statement and an apology must be obtained from eBay.

40.png
st_felicity:
JohnD–

Those are word for word the same letters we all are getting. Occasionally they will throw in a new line–like one I got that basically said the Eucharist is equivalent to a dinner mint. There is a distinct anti-Catholic sentiment at work in the decision.
Dinner mint!!! How outragous

40.png
st_felicity:
When you get the survay that asks how you rate the service of eBay concerning your complain–be specific and let 'em have it!!!
I sure did!

The Ebay boycott now has a website at www.boycottebay.org, where Catholics can get information about the boycott, the facts that led up to it, and how they can join the effort.

Vincent DiCarlo
A Decent Respect
1331 Garden Highway, Suite 300
Sacramento, CA 95833-9773

www.boycottebay.org

However, we do not remove religious items that are otherwise legal for sale and do not violate any other eBay listing policy…The Eucharist is not illegal to sell, and is generally allowed on eBay as long as the seller does not otherwise include hateful text or images in the listing.
I’ll grant that unconsecrated hosts are not illegal to sell, but as wbloomfield.blogspot.com/2005/04/ebay-refuses-to-change-policy-on.html points out,
  1. Established evidence, going back to the 8th century at Lanciano, where the flesh of the host is still available for viewing. There are close to 50 documentated cases of BLEEDING (consecrated) hosts and or HOSTS turned flesh. The blood in all types out to type AB HUMAN, with no human matches. However, it DOES match the type from the shroud of Turin and other bleeding consecrated hosts. Based on that alone, it violates selling Human body parts, even for the non-believer. FYI, all of the tissue always matched the tissue of the human heart.
  1. Illegal based on STOLEN CHURCH PROPERTY. The priest of Fatima, Portugal, have already taken steps for legal action. This is based on Canon law that a consecrated host MUST be consumed upon receipt. REMOVING A HOST (NOT CONSUMED) FROM A CATHOLIC CHURCH IS STOLEN PROPERTY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back