Blanka:
I notice that the Miss Universe Pageant is on TV tonight.
Oops, I missed it. :yawn:
There’s so much flesh on TV it’s hardly fun to look at it anymore!
I always have to chuckle when proponents of beauty pageants try to argue that they are all about talent.
Have you ever seen the Mrs. America pageant? It’s been years, so I don’t even know if it is still shown. (I don’t watch much TV.) It was pretty interesting, and seemed more about talent and personality than looks – at least in a higher ratio than most Miss X. pageants.
I wonder just what effect the beauty pageants have had on our society as a whole over the years? Do we view women as more talented or as objects?
Objects, definitely. Some of that talent I’ve seen in pageants is pretty impressive, though. It’s been a couple years since I’ve seen any but I don’t suppose they’ve changed that much.
It’s also surprising that by now, in the 21st century, women are not viewed somewhere between the old women’s lib model (“I can be just like a man”) and sex object (I exist for the pleasure of men").
Any thoughts?
I think it depends who you’re asking. To a modern “gender feminist,” the thought seems to be “men are scum and should be eliminated from all positions of authority and yield to our bidding, and they had better not stand between me and my abortionist.”
Ten years ago I started reading an excellent book on feminism, written by a woman who used to consider herself a feminist back when they weren’t so vicious and evil. Then I gave the book away before I finished it, but it did a good job of showing how the feminist movement has evolved into what it is.
It is by Christina Hoff Summers, and titled
Who Stole Feminism: How Women Have Betrayed Women.
I was absolutely astounded at some of the stupidity that has been legislated by feminist thinking, such as a Michigan statute that history books had to be rewritten to show an equal amount of information from a woman’s point of view. This resulted in books so convoluted they became meaningless.
Sorry about the near-hijack of the thread. Actually, no I’m not.
Alan