Modern Genetics and Adam & Eve

  • Thread starter Thread starter averheyen
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I don’t see. The fact that you mention this false dichotomy of “I don’t believe in God, I believe in evolution” shows that you really do not understand, as I suspected.
  1. I don’t believe in evolution.
  2. I believe in God and I accept evolution as a scientific fact – there is nothing to believe when it comes to the latter.
  3. I believe evolution (physical, chemical, biological evolution) is God’s way of creating the material world.
Al, very nicely put. But I would add a premiss first:
  1. I believe in God.
  2. I don’t believe in evolution.
  3. I believe in God and I accept evolution as a scientific fact – there is nothing to believe when it comes to the latter.
  4. I believe evolution (physical, chemical, biological evolution) is God’s way of creating the material world.
 
The sentiment is much appreciated. I do, however, understand that Granny is simply defending the faith to the best her ability, although it perhaps can do with some gentility. Thank-you for your (name removed by moderator)ut into this thread.
Soldier of God, I am not as confident as you that that is all that is meant. There is as snide and sinister tone in her continuous insinuation that others – who are just as faithful in practice and devotion as she is – in sincerely discussing theology are trying to destroy the Catholic faith, or to undermine dogma.

StAnastasia
 
Soldier of God, I am not as confident as you that that is all that is meant. There is as snide and sinister tone in her continuous insinuation that others – who are just as faithful in practice and devotion as she is – in sincerely discussing theology are trying to destroy the Catholic faith, or to undermine dogma.
You may have a point here, StAnastasia. I think the discussion is ruled by a lot of fear, instead of by contemplating what the Church and science actually say.
 
That raises an interesting question - do anencephalic babies have souls?
According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, souls are incepted at conception.

*382 “Man, though made of body and soul, is a unity” (GS 14 § 1). The doctrine of the faith affirms that the spiritual and immortal soul is created immediately by God. *
 
According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, souls are incepted at conception.

382 “Man, though made of body and soul, is a unity” (GS 14 § 1). The doctrine of the faith affirms that the spiritual and immortal soul is created immediately by God.
Which raises immediate questions about identical twins (one conception , two people) or chimeras (two conceptions, one person). Biology can be rather more complex than first appears.

rossum
 
Which raises immediate questions about identical twins (one conception , two people) or chimeras (two conceptions, one person). Biology can be rather more complex than first appears.

rossum
The meaning derived from the Catechism indicates that for humans, an immortal soul is intrinsic to the body. It’s not an option that is ‘tacked on’ at conception. Hence, two bodies will have two souls, even though they were incepted at one conception. The human body is animated by the soul.

*365 The unity of soul and body is so profound that one has to consider the soul to be the “form” of the body: i.e., it is because of its spiritual soul that the body made of matter becomes a living, human body; spirit and matter, in man, are not two natures united, but rather their union forms a single nature. *
 
Actually, while the Catechism says that souls are created “immediately” by God, it does not say that this means “at conception” or what “at conception” really would entail.

The word “conception” does not occur in the chapter “Man” (paragraphs 355 - 384).
 
Actually, while the Catechism says that souls are created “immediately” by God, it does not say that this means “at conception” or what “at conception” really would entail.

The word “conception” does not occur in the chapter “Man” (paragraphs 355 - 384).
True, it does not say that explicitly. However, the Catechism also states…

2770 Human life must be respected and protected absolutely from the moment of conception. From the first moment of his existence, a human being must be recognized as having the rights of a person - among which is the inviolable right of every innocent being to life.

Human life is recognized at conception and, consequently, it is deemed to have a soul at that point as it fully a person.
 
That raises an interesting question - do anencephalic babies have souls?
razredge, this is an interesting question, that raises the further question whether all organisms carrying human DNA have “immortal” souls, and only such organisms have “immortal” souls. For example, does a cancerous tumor have an immortal soul, and if so, is surgery to remove the tumor tantamount to murder? Some cancerous tumors began as the patient’s twin. If “ensoulment” occurs at the moment of conception, presumably the tumor has an immortal soul. I suppose the moral principle of double effect would say that as long as we are not killing the tumor directly, we are not committing murder; if we merely remove it to save the person’s life the destruction of the tumor is an unintended side effect.

StAnastasia
 
Which raises immediate questions about identical twins (one conception , two people) or chimeras (two conceptions, one person). Biology can be rather more complex than first appears.rossum
This very questioned about the ensoulment of tetragemetic chimeras was tackled from a Catholic perspective in “The Sacramental Character of an Evolving Creation,” Omega: Indian Journal of Science and Religion, vol 8 (2009), 34-57.
 
Human life is recognized at conception and, consequently, it is deemed to have a soul at that point as it fully a person.
20-50% of all conceptions (depending on the factors one includes in the calculation) are flushed out of a woman’s body before she even knew she was pregnant. They are genetically incompatible with life. The interesting implication is that 20-50 % of humans enter eternity without ever having made a moral decision. Are they not subject to the Last Judgment, or if they are, are they given a pass straight to heaven?
 
20-50% of all conceptions (depending on the factors one includes in the calculation) are flushed out of a woman’s body before she even knew she was pregnant. They are genetically incompatible with life. The interesting implication is that 20-50 % of humans enter eternity without ever having made a moral decision. Are they not subject to the Last Judgment, or if they are, are they given a pass straight to heaven?
The answer is that it is currently theologically uncertain. If they are* genetically incompatible with life*, do they even qualify as being fully human (and receive an immortal soul instead of a mortal one)? However, here are some responses from Catholic Answer Apologists:

forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=4778&highlight=babies
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=244260

Another pertinent question is that upon Judgment Day, we are given permanent, glorified bodies. What does that entail for those who never came to have developed one? Presumably, the Creator would create for them their ideal forms had they been fully realized human beings. However, that is merely conjecture on my part.
 
What does that entail for those who never came to have developed one? Presumably, the Creator would create for them their ideal forms had they been fully realized human beings. However, that is merely conjecture on my part.
If this is possible, presumably – since all is possible with God – the same thing would apply to hominid ancestors who had not fully developed into humans, whose descendants ten or fifty or 100 generations later would be Homo sapiens. God’s love for creation is infinite, and we have no idea what God has in store!
 
You have a penchant of misconstruing my intentions. I’ve never advocated a change to dogma. I am seeking a way to deal with polgenism within doctrine. Did you manage to review my citations regarding Pope Benedicts comments on Original Sin?
How about being precise regarding the Catholic doctrine you are referring to–the specific doctrine within which you will deal with polygenism?

Regarding my initial scan of " In the beginning…’ citations, kept finding a notice that the section I was looking for was omitted. When I locate the missing info, we can talk later.
 
How about being precise regarding the Catholic doctrine you are referring to–the specific doctrine within which you will deal with polygenism?
If you can assist me in that regard, it would be appreciated.
Regarding my initial scan of " In the beginning…’ citations, kept finding a notice that the section I was looking for was omitted. When I locate the missing info, we can talk later.
There was another link that was posted. See if that helps.
 
Personally, I’m keeping my fingers crossed for New York style cheesecake. 😃
If you are raptured on Saturday at the Last Judgment, no doubt you will have your choice of cheesecake in the heavenly kingdom! If you are not raptured, you can still enjoy cheesecake until October 21st, the date of Armageddon.
 
Does Modern Genetic research disprove that all human beings are descendents of the first two humans Adam and Eve? Yes or no and why or why not.
No.

Why not? Holy Mother Church says so.

Beyond that - sorry can’t be of any help
 
If you are raptured on Saturday at the Last Judgment, no doubt you will have your choice of cheesecake in the heavenly kingdom! If you are not raptured, you can still enjoy cheesecake until October 21st, the date of Armageddon.
Will they post a video of the rapture on you tube? I can’t make it to America on Saturday…prior engagements.😛
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top