F
FossilResin
Guest
Last night I went to an initial meeting at my parish for people interested in becoming Eucharistic Ministers to the infirm and homebound. What a beautiful opportunity to serve the Beloved Lord Jesus and make sure we are obedient to his word of love. I am happy to report that the instructions for the ritual handling of the Blessed Sacrament in our parish are very reverent and worshipful.
However…
Some women who have been doing this for a while shared stories that raised an alarm in me. They told about situations where they were present with people and ready to give Christ’s body to the ill person, when suddenly the person revealed that they were definitely in a state of mortal sin according to Church teaching. The women asked what they should do in such a situation.
Our diocesan priest at the meeting basically said, “You should give it to them because God has already brought you there. Who are we to judge?” and a woman said that another priest told her that if Jesus Himself were with the ill people, he would give them his body even though the people are in a state of mortal sin.
I feel beset by anguish because this sounds so, so wrong. Yes, I can imagine Our Lord giving Himself to anyone, as he did on the cross, but that would be for him personally to choose. He knows every heart, but we can only know what we are told. Aren’t we people called to listen to the Holy Spirit’s teaching in our Church?!
I feel upset because I love Jesus’s body and I don’t want my Beloved to be insulted by people who think they deserve Him no matter what they’ve done, especially when they are flagrantly, pridefully unrepentant and they are treating His body in the Eucharist as if it is a feel-good comfort cookie that they are OWED.
Am I being “too sensitive” or “insensitive” or “pharisaical”? Am I being ridiculous? Should I just hand out the Eucharist without any practice of discriminating conscience on my part?! Am I being “too devout”? Or is this the voice of Satan bullying me?
I talked to our priest about it directly and he was basically being infuriatingly accommodating to the secularist idea that we “shouldn’t judge”. He said that he often visits the ill in hospital and knows that they have not been to mass in a long time but he gives them the Eucharist anyways. He said, “Sometimes the normal rules don’t apply; we can’t be rule-bound all the time.” Does visiting the ill trump everything else?
I told him, “Father, certainly we are there to comfort people, yes, and we are not eagerly looking for opportunities to offend anybody, but we HAVE TO be willing to offend people for the Truth when we must!” He said I had a good point about how we need to be willing to offend the world for the sake of truth, and that he would think about it.
Am I of a right mind, or am I not? I only want to do Lord Jesus’s will because I love him and I want to serve him and obey him and adore him and keep his commandments. I hope it is not possible to love Jesus Christ too much. I don’t think it is possible. He deserves all our love, forever.
However…
Some women who have been doing this for a while shared stories that raised an alarm in me. They told about situations where they were present with people and ready to give Christ’s body to the ill person, when suddenly the person revealed that they were definitely in a state of mortal sin according to Church teaching. The women asked what they should do in such a situation.
Our diocesan priest at the meeting basically said, “You should give it to them because God has already brought you there. Who are we to judge?” and a woman said that another priest told her that if Jesus Himself were with the ill people, he would give them his body even though the people are in a state of mortal sin.
I feel beset by anguish because this sounds so, so wrong. Yes, I can imagine Our Lord giving Himself to anyone, as he did on the cross, but that would be for him personally to choose. He knows every heart, but we can only know what we are told. Aren’t we people called to listen to the Holy Spirit’s teaching in our Church?!
I feel upset because I love Jesus’s body and I don’t want my Beloved to be insulted by people who think they deserve Him no matter what they’ve done, especially when they are flagrantly, pridefully unrepentant and they are treating His body in the Eucharist as if it is a feel-good comfort cookie that they are OWED.
Am I being “too sensitive” or “insensitive” or “pharisaical”? Am I being ridiculous? Should I just hand out the Eucharist without any practice of discriminating conscience on my part?! Am I being “too devout”? Or is this the voice of Satan bullying me?
I talked to our priest about it directly and he was basically being infuriatingly accommodating to the secularist idea that we “shouldn’t judge”. He said that he often visits the ill in hospital and knows that they have not been to mass in a long time but he gives them the Eucharist anyways. He said, “Sometimes the normal rules don’t apply; we can’t be rule-bound all the time.” Does visiting the ill trump everything else?
I told him, “Father, certainly we are there to comfort people, yes, and we are not eagerly looking for opportunities to offend anybody, but we HAVE TO be willing to offend people for the Truth when we must!” He said I had a good point about how we need to be willing to offend the world for the sake of truth, and that he would think about it.
Am I of a right mind, or am I not? I only want to do Lord Jesus’s will because I love him and I want to serve him and obey him and adore him and keep his commandments. I hope it is not possible to love Jesus Christ too much. I don’t think it is possible. He deserves all our love, forever.