C
Cari
Guest
Help!
My brother, an avowed agnostic/athesist, wants to “talk religion” with me. Am trying to brace myself for the onslaught, and need help with this one, which I know he’s going to ask:
If the Church claims the fullness of the Truth, affirms that there is such a thing as eternal, unchanging right and wrong, and constantly denounces moral relativism, how come God either condones or outright commands genocide and slavery in the Old Testament? Even in the New Testament, slavery is tolerated, or at least not denounced, right?
I know there’s an explanation I can offer him, but I’m stumped. Particularly on the command God gave the Israelites to perform genocide in order to obtain Canaan.
I feel like I’ve got a handle of the whole role of women angle, but I’m lost on the other two.
This, of course, is assuming that I can even get past his “What makes you believe there IS a God” bit.
Atheists! :nope:
Thanks, I’ve been praying for him to experience a radical conversion of the heart, and I’d hate for some stupid answer of mine to drive him further away.
Cari
My brother, an avowed agnostic/athesist, wants to “talk religion” with me. Am trying to brace myself for the onslaught, and need help with this one, which I know he’s going to ask:
If the Church claims the fullness of the Truth, affirms that there is such a thing as eternal, unchanging right and wrong, and constantly denounces moral relativism, how come God either condones or outright commands genocide and slavery in the Old Testament? Even in the New Testament, slavery is tolerated, or at least not denounced, right?
I know there’s an explanation I can offer him, but I’m stumped. Particularly on the command God gave the Israelites to perform genocide in order to obtain Canaan.
I feel like I’ve got a handle of the whole role of women angle, but I’m lost on the other two.
This, of course, is assuming that I can even get past his “What makes you believe there IS a God” bit.
Atheists! :nope:
Thanks, I’ve been praying for him to experience a radical conversion of the heart, and I’d hate for some stupid answer of mine to drive him further away.
Cari