Morality of running an Air b&b

  • Thread starter Thread starter Terry_1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
We should not be giving this sort of advice to advertise for Catholic only renters.

The OP needs to obtain the advice of a lawyer, because rental properties in the US fall under Fair Housing laws, and could also fall under ADA.

There are exceptions, but if the property is advertised for rent then it absolutely falls under Fair Housing.
 
We should not be giving this sort of advice to advertise for Catholic only renters.

The OP needs to obtain the advice of a lawyer, because rental properties in the US fall under Fair Housing laws, and could also fall under ADA.

There are exceptions, but if the property is advertised for rent then it absolutely falls under Fair Housing.
Oh, I agree. But that’s not what I was implying. I did NOT say to only rent to Catholics.

What I meant was to “catholic up” the home and make sure everyone who rents understands that there are Catholic stuff all around the home. And then purposely advertise to Catholics.

But I did not say or mean to imply that the OP should rent only to Catholics. That would open her up for trouble. But if you make sure people know the home is very Catholic, people who don’t want that will not rent there.

So if her issue is that she doesn’t want sinning in her home, by advertising that it’s a Catholic home, and have pictures of Crucifix, Mary Statues, etc on AirBnB, people who don’t want that will decide on their own not to stay there.

God Bless
 
Last edited:
And let’s be honest: most (if not all) of us are sinners, so is the concern about sexual sins only? What about someone who physically assaults someone within the Air B&B? Or gets drunk? Or gossips or tells terrible lies about someone else? Or conjures up the occult? So my two cents is: excellent idea to have the home blessed by a priest, but if the idea of people sinning in your home upsets you, don’t offer your home as a property.
If I dwelled on what had occurred in every Air B&B or hotel room I’ve stayed in, I would have to remain home or buy an RV, neither of which I’m willing/able to do.
 
Unless they are committing crimes or negligent then you shouldn’t worry what customers are doing; we can’t police sin (and that’s invasion of privacy anyway). On the other hand, it’s one thing to run a hotel for public use; but inviting people into your home certainly feels different. I like the idea of blessing the space and decorating it with a crucifix. You can make it clear that it’s a Catholic home.
 
Many Catholics in good standing own or work at hotel chains across the globe. If you have trouble with the morality of the air b n b then you would have trouble with them as well.
 
Check with an attorney. It’s possible you can legally rent only to related people. That was a prerequisite we had as landlords when we were renting a townhouse.
 
According to Airbnb rules, Airbnb hosts (in the US and European union) may not
  • Decline a guest based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.
Therefore, if you are concerned about what my happen in your Airbnb it would be best not to participate since you can’t dictate how people will use the space and you can’t limit it to people of one religion.
 
Ok, you’re welcome, Terry. God bless you for wanting to seek the truth.
 
Well, a lot of people don’t see any moral issue here. But thinking about your query and thinking about it for myself just crystalized my thought on the matter. So here is another view.

Last year we were working on plans for a sort of mini-barn as a workshop area, and our designs included adding a second floor, to be used for an Air BnB, for income generation. I loved the idea of designing and maintaining a pleasant comfortable clean space for travelers. But after drawing up plans and the materials list, we found that even as a total DIY the materials were over what we could currently fund, and we set the idea aside.

Also I just commented on another query here “working and living with two gay men” a story of how I first realized something is very wrong with sodomy.

But not just sodomy, but all sins against chastity are especially repugnant to God.

And now I realize, Air BnB is never going to be a plan for us. Perhaps if it was a separate rental property. But I don’t want any kind of mortal sin in happening in my home. Would Our Lady have had had anyone under her roof acting in mortal sin in her Nazareth home where the angel of the annunciation came to her? Would the Apostles have had a home they rented out to just anyone while they were off evangelizing? No, I don’t think so. We Catholics have hearts and bodies consecrated to the Lord and we don’t want our home to be a place where mortal sin is going on.

We had young grandchildren here recently and I came in the room to see they had on a pokemon show where someone was stabbing the cartoon creature over and over and blood was splurting out everywhere with each stab. Oh, no! Not in our house. What’s ok at their home is not so here! Same thing with magic-arts or demonic-happening shows, and a lot of other stuff. TV and computer is going to be real limited here at this house. We will just have to play more games with them if they are bored with our limits.

So no strangers from unlimited places staying here. Also I do think attempts to limit one’s “openness” to just anyone coming to your home will invite troubles and possibly persecution from the broader culture.

So there doesn’t seem to be a way to make this a reliable money-making deal AND impose some control over who stays in your home. Witches casting spells or hexes, or sage-“blessing” their room? Not to mention other mortal sins happening under your own roof? I see no way to screen that, so Air BnB is not happening on our property.

I am saying this about the Air BnB in my home as a Catholic because I have a choice. We are working on other ways to increase income. Some people who are running a BnB in their home really need to, and they don’t currently have another choice. So I understand. We all do what we can in the situations we are in, and we change our situations as we are able to.
 
Last edited:
The way I would approach it is just basic analysis of the degrees of cooperation with evil. It seems the cooperation would be material not formal, mediate not immediate, and very remote not proximate, therefore I would consider it morally permissible.
 
40.png
phil19034:
And then purposely advertise to Catholics.
This is where the OP needs legal advice.

HUD is suing Facebook for targeting ads.
You are not going to get sued for placing an ad in parish bulletins. 🤷‍♂️
 
Last edited:
Thank you Eliza and Phil. It is a beach house we are thinking of renting out, not our own home. I wasn’t clear on our responsibility as Catholics in this area. My husband does not see a problem, he was happy for me to ask advice, and I appreciate all the answers that have been given. Thank you all!
 
My parents ran a boarding house for students and other young adults for several years. Their basic rule was, tenants can bring home visitors, including such of the opposite sex, but strictly no visitors allowed in rooms (or anywhere upstairs) at any times. Visitors must be received and entertained in the living room, in the library, in the kitchen or on the verranda. And they were very strict about enforcing this rule and I think it was accepted and worked.
 
Last edited:
We should not be giving this sort of advice to advertise for Catholic only renters.

The OP needs to obtain the advice of a lawyer, because rental properties in the US fall under Fair Housing laws, and could also fall under ADA.

There are exceptions, but if the property is advertised for rent then it absolutely falls under Fair Housing.
I don’t think she was suggesting that they do this on mainstream advertising platforms. If she was doing it for Catholic only there’s no problem with that but I imagine it’d be more a “word of mouth” kind of thing.
 
Does a married couple count as related in your attorney’s opinion? If they do then a same sex married couple are related, and then you couldn’t turn them away for not being related.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top