Morality of smoking 🚬

• Thread starter Thread starter harshcshah
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

harshcshah

In what situations is smoking moral and what forms of smoking are moral? Please consider the following-
From my understanding, most scientists consider smoking even one cigarette injurious to health. However, with regards to cigars the FDA conducted a study which suggests that the risk for smoking 1-2 cigars a day is nearly zero (link: FDA Study: Cancer risks nearly nil for 1-2 cigars per day | R Street). I would assume a similar risk for cigar smoking.
The Catechism also states that:
“[2290] The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess : the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others’ safety on the road, at sea, or in the air.”
Considering these facts, in what situations is smoking moral and what forms of smoking are moral?

Last edited:
Spending hundreds (if not thousands) a year on smoking which destroys your lungs instead of spending that money on food or your family or giving to the Church or charities… I’d say it’s immoral.

Obviously it’s an addiction but if you aren’t even trying to make an effort, I’d say that’s not good. Countless relatives of mine smoke and have died from it and countless have been alcoholics and have died from it also. There is nothing moral about watching your relatives lives completely disappear because they spend thousands on smoking

Smoking cigarettes is morally neutral. It’s the amount that’s problematic If it leads to addiction (and smoking cigarettes is highly addictive) then it’s immoral.

I tried a cigarette once…🤢

Never Again

Nope, I’ll enjoy my pipe tobacco in moderation!

instead of spending that money on food or your family or giving to the Church or charities… I’d say it’s immoral.
You could make that argument with just about every pleasure. If that is the case, then it is wrong to go to the movies or spend time doing a pleasurable hobby that costs money.

But does going to the movies harm anyone? Smoking harms yourself and aren’t we temples of the Holy Spirit?

I don’t know if smoking is moral or not, but anyone trying to light up in my home or my car will feel my wrath!

This discussion invites some precision:

Cigar and pipe smokers do not usually inhale their smoke, as such it is harder to get addicted to them.

Moderate red wine is actually good for your health.

Any amount of cigarette smoke is harmful, unlike other substances people may smoke: peyote, cannabis.

Smokers are treated like modern-day lepers.

Taxes on tobacco are outrageously high (compared to alcohol).

In the final analysis, cigarette smoking is ridiculously expensive in terms of money, health, second-hand effects on those around you, and brings upon you the wrath of government and other people.

Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances in the world, and it is too easy to get addicted by smoking cigarettes. Just stay away from them, regardless of morality. You will be healthier, wealthier and wiser!

Deacon Christopher

This discussion invites some precision:

Cigar and pipe smokers do not usually inhale their smoke, as such it is harder to get addicted to them.

Moderate red wine is actually good for your health.

Any amount of cigarette smoke is harmful, unlike other substances people may smoke: peyote, cannabis.

Smokers are treated like modern-day lepers.

Taxes on tobacco are outrageously high (compared to alcohol).

In the final analysis, cigarette smoking is ridiculously expensive in terms of money, health, second-hand effects on those around you, and brings upon you the wrath of government and other people.

Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances in the world, and it is too easy to get addicted by smoking cigarettes. Just stay away from them, regardless of morality. You will be healthier, wealthier and wiser!

Deacon Christopher
Yes. Wisdom knows when it is imprudent to parse matters to the point of distraction or indecision. Take what you know, evaluate the matter in real time (not theoretically like this thread is doing) and make a good decision for the good.

Morality evaluates human acts in real time and circumstances and theoretical discussions are not real circumstances.

It becomes immoral when, out of total lack of consideration or even defiance, a smoker blows smoke into the face of another, or refuses to distance him- or herself when someone nearby protests that their cigarette smoke is bothering them.

I am for personal liberty and choice. Having said that,
respectfully: The idea that pipe or cigar smokers do not inhale is generally wrong. A person or persons sitting in a smoke filled room are most definitely inhaling. Theirs, and others. If you see it, and/or smell it, you’re breathing it. (Even not smelling it) Some will mention a difference between the smoke inhaled, secondhand, and “from the tip”. If you do not personally inhale, (insert Bill Clinton joke here) you still get two out if three.
A person I care for daily smoked a pipe for 35years. Now COPD/emphysema, can barely walk 50 feet without needing to sit and rest, and requires oxygen 24/7. This “snowballed” within a three year period.
Please, for yourself and those you love, choose to avoid smoking.
Dominus vobiscum

Last edited:
A person or persons sitting in a smoke filled room are most definitely inhaling.
That’s why I sit outside.
If you see it, and/or smell it, you’re breathing it. (Even not smelling it)
Well, in that case, backyard grilling or barbecuing can’t be very good either.
A person I care for daily smoked a pipe for 35years. Now COPD/emphysema, can barely walk 50 feet without needing to sit and rest, and requires oxygen 24/7
I’m sorry to hear that. Yes, some people can go too far. A popular YouTube Pipe Smoker passed recently and they had just been diagnosed with COPD. That being said, allegedly, they smoked 21 bowls per week.

That, in my opinion, is excessive.

Yes, hence the use of medical marijuana for glaucoma, chronic pain and such. In many states you can get a prescription for it if you have certain diseases.

Deacon Christopher

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance: is it called “smoking a bowl” when you are smoking tobacco? I’ve only heard that phrase when referencing marijuana.

Also, is 21 bowls a week a lot for pipe tobacco? About how long does it take to smoke a bowl?

Excuse my ignorance: is it called “smoking a bowl” when you are smoking tobacco? I’ve only heard that phrase when referencing marijuana.
I think it refers more specially to smoking pipe tobacco.

My body is the Temple of God. If I willfully harm it, then I believe I would be sinning.

I am for personal liberty and choice. Having said that,
respectfully: The idea that pipe or cigar smokers do not inhale is generally wrong. A person or persons sitting in a smoke filled room are most definitely inhaling. Theirs, and others. If you see it, and/or smell it, you’re breathing it. (Even not smelling it) Some will mention a difference between the smoke inhaled, secondhand, and “from the tip”. If you do not personally inhale, (insert Bill Clinton joke here) you still get two out if three.
A person I care for daily smoked a pipe for 35years. Now COPD/emphysema, can barely walk 50 feet without needing to sit and rest, and requires oxygen 24/7. This “snowballed” within a three year period.
Please, for yourself and those you love, choose to avoid smoking.
Dominus vobiscum
My dad smoked all of his adult life. Three years before he died, he quit completely. By then, he had emphysema, lung cancer, and had to be on oxygen continually. Even though, in its earlier stages, he was considering surgery for his lung cancer, his oxygen level was so low, the surgeon refused to operate. He feared Dad would die on the table.

It didn’t help that Dad lived at a high elevation, over 6,000 feet. He did better when he came off the mountain and went into the town below. But he still needed the oxygen.

Yes, it all snowballed on him those last three years after he had quit completely. It was too late by then.

We kids were exposed to our parents’ second-hand smoke throughout our childhoods. Mama smoked, too. And now, I and my sister both have persistent coughs which may or may not be anything serious. I have been trying to get a chest X-ray for the last several months, but with the lock down, nobody can get any procedures like that done.

In the 1950s and early 60s, people just didn’t believe smoking was harmful. Dad would call the doctors and scientists who warned against it, “fearmongers”. He realized too late that they were right.

is it called “smoking a bowl” when you are smoking tobacco?
Generally, I only hear “bowl” used as a measurement for pipe tobacco. For example, I had a bowl last night or might have 2 bowls a week.
Also, is 21 bowls a week a lot for pipe tobacco?
Yes, that’s excessive.
About how long does it take to smoke a bowl?
Depends on the size of the pipe bowl. I’d say anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back