G
GuanYuWarGod
Guest
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=576536
Ask an Apologist
=================================================================
Jul 3, '11, 11:36 am
Nathan’s King
New Member Join Date: July 18, 2004
Posts: 12
Religion: Catholic
What about killing infants in 1 Samuel 15:3 and Catechism?
I’m stumped on this one and was wondering if you could help.
1 Samuel 15:3 says God ordered the killing of infants (among others). I understand that God is the Lord of life and can take care of these children after their deaths, but this seems to contradict the Catechism # 2261, which says “The deliberate murder of an innocent person is gravely contrary to the dignity of the human being, to the golden rule, and to the holiness of the Creator. The law forbidding it is universally valid: it obliges each and everyone, always and everywhere.”
If the murder of innocents is always and everywhere wrong, how could God order it?
Thanks
Nathan’s King
#2 Jul 4, '11, 11:57 am
Fr. Vincent Serpa
Catholic Answers Apologist Join Date: May 4, 2004
Posts: 3,405
Re: Killing infants in 1 Samuel 15:3 and Catechism
Hi,
The killing of infants is morally wrong for US to do. But God is not held by the rules He has for us. God doesn’t murder us when He calls us home. He can call us any way He chooses. He is God and not just a bigger version of us. He is all good and all knowing. We are small potatoes. Remember what He Himself was willing to endure for our benefit. He gives the only real meaning to the word “awesome.”
Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.
=================================================================
I felt this apologist’s explanation was trying to avoid the issue
I mean we use Bible phrases from compassionate Jesus without question and we take the ten Commandments without question too so I have always wondered why we impose double standards on Bible passages that seem to be morally wrong in themselves. Why don’t we say them in Church too if they aren’t morally wrong anyway? How do we know if we aren’t taking Jesus’ morally correct sounding sayings in context? What if we are?
I think every Catholic should know the contents of the Bible and ask ourselves if God’s word is perfect.
Ask an Apologist
=================================================================
Jul 3, '11, 11:36 am
Nathan’s King
New Member Join Date: July 18, 2004
Posts: 12
Religion: Catholic
What about killing infants in 1 Samuel 15:3 and Catechism?
I’m stumped on this one and was wondering if you could help.
1 Samuel 15:3 says God ordered the killing of infants (among others). I understand that God is the Lord of life and can take care of these children after their deaths, but this seems to contradict the Catechism # 2261, which says “The deliberate murder of an innocent person is gravely contrary to the dignity of the human being, to the golden rule, and to the holiness of the Creator. The law forbidding it is universally valid: it obliges each and everyone, always and everywhere.”
If the murder of innocents is always and everywhere wrong, how could God order it?
Thanks
Nathan’s King
View Public Profile
Find all posts by Nathan’s King
#2 Jul 4, '11, 11:57 amFr. Vincent Serpa
Catholic Answers Apologist Join Date: May 4, 2004
Posts: 3,405
Re: Killing infants in 1 Samuel 15:3 and Catechism
Hi,
The killing of infants is morally wrong for US to do. But God is not held by the rules He has for us. God doesn’t murder us when He calls us home. He can call us any way He chooses. He is God and not just a bigger version of us. He is all good and all knowing. We are small potatoes. Remember what He Himself was willing to endure for our benefit. He gives the only real meaning to the word “awesome.”
Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.
=================================================================
I felt this apologist’s explanation was trying to avoid the issue
I mean we use Bible phrases from compassionate Jesus without question and we take the ten Commandments without question too so I have always wondered why we impose double standards on Bible passages that seem to be morally wrong in themselves. Why don’t we say them in Church too if they aren’t morally wrong anyway? How do we know if we aren’t taking Jesus’ morally correct sounding sayings in context? What if we are?
I think every Catholic should know the contents of the Bible and ask ourselves if God’s word is perfect.