T
Thomasbradley312
Guest
Hi all.
I have been reading the CCC recently and have come to a curiosity. A lot of things are considered grave matter, which I believe constitutes mortal sin if a couple things are met such as full knowledge of the sin and not being compromised, and also that force of habit could reduce it from mortal to venial.
My question comes from impairment. Alcohol it seems lessens culpability. If someone takes part in a sin such as using a ouija board while intoxicated it seems their judgment would be impaired and it wouldn’t be mortal even though it is grave matter.
This led me to wonder though, is that always an excuse? If someone murders or rapes in that case, is the sin actually intoxication as their judgment may have been impaired and thus the sin wouldn’t be mortal? That seems odd but that is kind of the notion I get reading it.
I have been reading the CCC recently and have come to a curiosity. A lot of things are considered grave matter, which I believe constitutes mortal sin if a couple things are met such as full knowledge of the sin and not being compromised, and also that force of habit could reduce it from mortal to venial.
My question comes from impairment. Alcohol it seems lessens culpability. If someone takes part in a sin such as using a ouija board while intoxicated it seems their judgment would be impaired and it wouldn’t be mortal even though it is grave matter.
This led me to wonder though, is that always an excuse? If someone murders or rapes in that case, is the sin actually intoxication as their judgment may have been impaired and thus the sin wouldn’t be mortal? That seems odd but that is kind of the notion I get reading it.
Last edited: