MOVIE: Prince Caspian

  • Thread starter Thread starter child_of_God85
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
We saw this last weekend. I liked the first movie much better. My daughter read all of the books in the series, and loved them…she said the movie was close to the book. I thought that there could have been more dialogue…looked like they were more into theatrics and special effects this go 'round. Most movies are like this nowadays for kids. I give it a 7.5:)
 
Boy, I was all fired up about seeing this movie, and now you guys are making me so sad!:crying: I’ve always loved those books, and it makes me sad to think that PC has been ruined!😦
 
I agree with those who enjoyed the movie, and I have been a hardcore Lewis fan for more than 25 yrs.

In answer to some of the comments, no, “Prince Caspian” is NOT an allegory for the 2nd Coming of Christ, that book is “The Last Battle”. Prince Caspian is about finding and following the true faith despite doubts, doubters and obstacles, and what some would call the lack of any sign of Aslan’s presence or existence.

The additional new scenes, while adding more battles ALSO add another allegory where we see what happens when Peter ties to manage on his own without Aslan.

Yes, Peter’s character is somewhat different from the book. He still has things to learn and he does learn them in this movie, which has I think profound Christian moral themes.

Susan is stuck-up and vain, but she ends up there in the book too!

And was it someone here who said Aslan was hardly in the movie? He was everywhere in this movie! Every time a major decision needs to be made, the characters are tested on whether to believe in and follow Aslan.

So, overall I think it was very well done, I enjoyed it immensely and my sons did too.

I am glad that I read most of these comments before I saw the movie. It probably increased my enjoyment since I was expecting some major disappointments!
 
There were some things I wasn’t completely happy with however:)

The actor playing Caspian was too old. He is supposed to be around Edmund’s age (I think), and is frequently referred to as a “boy”. He looked however like he was in his mid-twenties, and therefore seemed somewhat immature for his age! He also came off as not too bright I thought.

Reepicheep came off as a little tiny bit more comical than noble, but I suppose it could have been a lot worse.

While I thought the moral/theologic lesson from the extra battle was good, it was a little too long and violent with deaths (not gory or graphic) of a lot of good guys. Too much for young kids (although my 6 and 8yo didn’t seem bothered).

I didn’t mind the Susan/Caspian kiss but thought it unnecessary, especially as minutes before it is revealed that Susan and Peter won’t be coming back.
 
I agree with those who enjoyed the movie, and I have been a hardcore Lewis fan for more than 25 yrs.

In answer to some of the comments, no, “Prince Caspian” is NOT an allegory for the 2nd Coming of Christ, that book is “The Last Battle”. Prince Caspian is about finding and following the true faith despite doubts, doubters and obstacles, and what some would call the lack of any sign of Aslan’s presence or existence.

The additional new scenes, while adding more battles ALSO add another allegory where we see what happens when Peter ties to manage on his own without Aslan.

Yes, Peter’s character is somewhat different from the book. He still has things to learn and he does learn them in this movie, which has I think profound Christian moral themes.

Susan is stuck-up and vain, but she ends up there in the book too!

And was it someone here who said Aslan was hardly in the movie? He was everywhere in this movie! Every time a major decision needs to be made, the characters are tested on whether to believe in and follow Aslan.

So, overall I think it was very well done, I enjoyed it immensely and my sons did too.

I am glad that I read most of these comments before I saw the movie. It probably increased my enjoyment since I was expecting some major disappointments!
Well, first let me apologize if my review spoiled it for anyone. I was heartily disappointed, but you may not be, so by all means go see it. I should also say perhaps I should have put a SPOILER ALERT in my last post (so here it is for this one).

smswife, I’ve been a fan for a similar amount of time and while “The Last Battle” corresponds with the end times, we know the books are not straight allegory, but rather weave concepts throughout. Surely you see how Aslans romp through the countryside righting wrongs and freeing captives could be seen as the second coming, without corresponding exactly. At any rate, my point is that NONE of that was in the movie. We only see Aslan in a dream (a DREAM!) on the trail, and then toward the end of the movie, when the army has been routed.

Peter’s lesson was on the trail in the book, when Lucy showed him what faith was, and he remembered himself and finally saw Aslan. He seved to demonstrate the courage of faith to Caspian. He was righteous and spoke with the moral authority of one who has Aslan’s blessing (remind you of any other Peter we know?).

In the movie, he was power hungry, selfish,and didn’t listen to anyone. Perhaps I’m oversensitive to anti-Catholic rhetoric, but it sure seems like that’s how some people like to paint our church. He didn’t come with Aslan’s blessing, but rather led the Narnians to rely on themselves rather than counting on Aslan to make things right. In the movie, it was because of Peter’s rashness that the Narnians were decimated, rather than because of the ferocity of Miraz’s army. The movie names the Narnians as the attackers, not the Telmarines as in the book. Again, they took some of the righteousness out of the Narnians.

I suppose it would have been an exciting movie had I known the books first. I enjoyed the introduction of Reepicheep (and his healing). And there were nod’s to the books in places that couldn’t be explored further, like the Bulgy Bear being the marshall of the lists (and sucking his paw). I did find it quite ironic that Aslan says “Things don’t happen the same way twice, dear one,” exactly the same way TWICE (once in the dream, and once at the end). I guess the exception proves the rule?

I worry about the Voyage of the Dawn Treader, not so much for the bulk of the book, but for that all important last scene where Aslan reveals who he is in our world. I expect that to be cut out entirely, but perhaps Disney will forget themselves and be faithful to the book.
 
Just watched the movie last night and I was disappointed. I enjoyed myself but I was still disappointed.

The visuals were beautiful as before, yet it did seem kind of a wanna-be Lord of the Rings movie, instead of a faithful adaption of the book.

Scylla
I pretty much agree with everything you said - but in particular, several times, I thought, “This is straight out of LOTR!”
 
I’ve never read the Chronicle series but I thought the movie was good and entertaining for itself.
 
I’ve never read the Chronicle series but I thought the movie was good and entertaining for itself.
And if I hadn’t read the books I’d agree. It’s just that being a devotee of the series you’d think they’d want to please those who know and love the books, like Jackson tried to do with LOTR. I guess the director either got carried away in one direction–making the film “darker” and more “real” than the last one, or the studio wanted to remove the more religious elements from the story. If the latter, it was a big mistake since it robbed it of the very thing that makes it so different from other stories in the genre, besides upsetting the very audience who was so eager to see it and who will be the ones who will either make or break the success of any sequels.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top