MOVIE: "The Happening"

  • Thread starter Thread starter roccoangelo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question. Does the movie actually have an ending or do they just roll the credits at some point. I can’t stand movies with no resolution.
 
pnewton << Does the movie actually have an ending or do they just roll the credits at some point. I can’t stand movies with no resolution. >>

No resolution. Here’s how it ends. I’ll ruin it. 😃

Wahlberg’s character thinks what is causing people to kill themselves is they are “traveling in groups” so they need to break up into “smaller groups.” Also that the “virus” (or whatever it is) MAY be carried by the winds, and MAY be because the “plants” are mad at us and evolving toxins or something. I don’t think that is ever explained either.

Later the “crazy Christian lady” kills herself and she is alone in her garden outside. So Wahlberg discovers it’s not the “being in groups” that’s doing it.

This is near the end of the movie, and we still don’t know what it is making people kill themselves.

The last 5 minutes the movie goes to France, the same scene as the opening in a “central park” like area, everyone stops, some guy hears a lady scream far off (just like the opening). That tells us (supposedly) this “virus” thing (or whatever it is, we never find out) has now (somehow) “moved” to France, even though throughout the whole movie it was confined to the Northeast United States.

So they (apparently) set up for a sequel, where the “virus” has gone to France and it will (I suppose) go “infect people” worldwide. Oh great, now we will see in the sequel, more people (a) jumping off buildings, (b) poking themselves with sharp objects, (c) borrowing guns and shooting themselves in the head, (d) driving their cars into trees, (e) get run over by a lawnmower, and maybe (f) one or two more kids get shot in the head.

No thanks, on the sequel, I’ll pass. Bad movie. Nothing happened, no resolution, senseless violence, bad science, with some Christian bashing thrown in. I saw it twice just in case I missed something. Nope, didn’t miss anything. It was interesting the first time I saw it, for the first 20 minutes or so. But after you find out the movie’s “big secret” (that people are killing themselves because of some “virus” or something) and that never changes through the whole movie, the movie becomes a dud and uninteresting (at least to me) after about 20 minutes. :rolleyes:

Phil P
 
I checked rotten tomatoes…and they gave it an extremely low rating…bummer, I wanted to see it!!!:crying:

I won’t waste my $9 now…can you believe it is $9 to see a movie now? (non matinee)
 
Really, you all don’t think it was that good? I was planning on taking a friend of mine to see it. She and I both like scary movies. Are any others that are out like this but considered better?
I’ve heard that The Strangers was a scary movie, I’ve been wanting to see it.
The Happening was not scary in the least.
 
I won’t see it because it had a social message. I don’t go to the movies to hear a political message. I like movies to be entertaining like Jaws or Speed.
 
I checked rotten tomatoes…and they gave it an extremely low rating…bummer, I wanted to see it!!!:crying:

I won’t waste my $9 now…can you believe it is $9 to see a movie now? (non matinee)
$9 is relatively cheap. It is $10.50 in a lot of places in my area and many of the places also got rid of the student prices.
 
This was the dumbest movie i’ve seen in a long time. I thought Saw, despite all the violence, was ten times better than this because it actually had a good (read: genius, well thought out) storyline, as sick as it may have been.

SPOILER

Nothing. Happened. The violence was completely unnecessary and even more disturbing then actual violence in Saw, because it was mysterious and self-inflicted. The movie had absolutely no point. Good thing i watched it online and didn’t waste $9 on a movie ticket. This is probably the biggest waste of an hour and a half i’ve undergone in a long time.
 
I loved Lady In The Water, as well as all M. Night’s other films, but this is the first time I won’t go to see one.

The preview seemed disturbing. And I don’t need to watch nihilistic gore; the news provides enough of that.
 
So I went out with my sister and her boyfriend today, and they both claim to have loved this movie. They say it symbolizes how little we, as human beings, truly know. People start dying and you don’t know why. My opinion of the movie is two posts above. I seriously cannot understand why anybody would enjoy this movie…I just don’t get it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top