S
scapularkid8
Guest
Who will/has see/n it and what did you think if you did.
I thought they were all Catholic.Didn’t like the fact that the evil, irrational, religious zealot mother was portrayed as a Catholic.
Travolta has gotten a lot of the press about the film, but honestly you can almost ignore his character for most of the movie as it is an ensemble cast focused on the teens. At least he was made up to look like a real woman rather than just an unattractive man in drag.I loves the original movie with Divine, and have seen the play, which was good, too.
I have no interest in seeing John Travolta’s version.
Still, there was no mention in the movie of the other peoples’ religions. The only one with a named religion was that horrible mother! I agree with whoever above said they didn’t like that. It was unnecessary. Can’t the media portray someone irrational, evil, angry…who isn’t Catholic…and still have it be funny?Yes, I think most of the characters, or most of the white ones anyway and maybe some of the black ones, in the original Hairspray were Catholic. After all this is Baltimore in the 60’s.
Sure they do it all the time, but this was supposed to be a specific place and time. Baltimore was a very Catholic city. Black and white Catholics were all over the city and still are. The original movie showed kids of both races sneaking into an event dressed as nuns in full habits, but it was not making fun of Catholics. It was giving some flavor of the fact that the whole town was Catholic.Still, there was no mention in the movie of the other peoples’ religions. The only one with a named religion was that horrible mother! I agree with whoever above said they didn’t like that. It was unnecessary. Can’t the media portray someone irrational, evil, angry…who isn’t Catholic…and still have it be funny?
Meh…
Actually it’s because Edna was played by the drag queen Divine (who also played the TV station manager in male clothing) in the original John Waters movie. Kinda started a tradition. Divine appeared in lots of other Waters movies from Pink Flamingos on, but Edna was really the role that made her more than a joke.Oh I loved it!! Actually a man is supposed to play the role of Edna. I guess because she is supposed to be a big woman or something.