P
paul_c
Guest
Well, its nice that after a dozen or so posts, you finally decided to explain what you were talking about. And yes, I can understand what you are describing as being a dispassionate observer of what goes on around you. You can turn off the ego and mitigate your desires by mental exercize. But that doesnât make us any less individuals and it certainly doensât eliminate or minimize the truth the Church teaches about salvation. A mortal sin is still a mortal sin.You read it here. I do. Guilty as chargedMe and many of my friends. For ages. Not the same words, but the same idea. We are rather consistent, even if we donât know each other through time or space. This is not about learning something from a book or flights of imagination.
It points to, that with work, anyone willing to make the effort can discern that there is a factor in their experience that is in a position of âobserverâ to what transpires as experience without being involved with it or being acted on by it. From this point one can experiential understand that what is in the mind as thoughts, impressions, everything, is separate from this observing factor in a very important way. Turning onâs attention to this âobserverâ yields a perspective that cuts through the Gordian Knot of much of the dysfunctions of human experience.
Iâm not so sure. I think that many very simple people understand the true nature of the universe quite well. Its really not that hard if you let it through. Simply love with all your heart. The problem is, like Jesus says in the parable of the sower, Many people let their own desires and worldly ambitions drown out that simple truth that ultimately leads to all happiness.Of course we appear that way to one another through the senses. But this is not, as you can find out, not the ultimate functioning reality of the human. And since epistemology is pretty much poo-poohed in our society, to the point where what Iâm talking about isnât even intelligible to most, this understanding is a very unusual, albeit actual position from which the nature of the mind can be discerned. And you may note, Paul, that most of the people around us think about well enough to get to work and back without breaking a limb. But they do not have a working knowledge of what they are using to think with. And that is my point here. We need to know what we are thinking with, before any of our conclusions have any validity, and beyond that, Truth.
I donât need it, thanks. I understand what you are describing but in my journey, my focus is different. I want to care more for people, not become dispassionate.Einstein speaks very clearly to this issue in his private papers. So if you wish to get out of the flatland dissonance that is a result in part of the Hume-Kant misfortune, this might be a way. As far as I can tell, Jesus liked it. And, if you wish, I will take the time to message you a useful page from Nisargaddataâs talks about the nature and purpose of inquiry. He is rather contemporary, but I can get you much older works as well, but he might be an excellent start, if you wish,
Love is all you need. But you need the grace of the sacraments to love completely.Well, Iâve got to be pretty dense then, Paul, because that is what takes up a lot of each of my days. It is something I try to consider even when doing âotherâ things. Thanks for the sage advice.
Honestly, if you believe mass and the eucharist are inhibiting your spiritual well being, you are not in a good place. If you dont eat His body and drink His blood, you have no life within you. (John 6). Have you really fallen this far? Please abandon this tact you are on. It is stealing your soul awayâŚI did benefit much from both of those, as you and others I chat with seem to continually forget. As I have said, mine is a deliberate choice made solely/soul-ly for myself on terms I found to be necessary for my spiritual well being. Mine, not yours, or anyoneâs. But again thanks. You are clearly a good, kind, and thoughtful person.
Are you by any chance trying to avoid some painful memory?