My First Mass....

• Thread starter Thread starter sarcophagus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so glad to hear that you are going to your first mass! Just last week you were questioning faith and God altogether. God works is wonderful ways.

You should be able to find a Catachesim at the library.

On writing down stuff, like questions. You may be writing the entire time and miss what God is trying to teach you. There is no possible way you can learn eveything in one sitting. Go to absorb. Take in what you can. Let go and let God lead you. Trust in him, he will not mislead you.

You can talk to the priest on the way out. Express your feelings and maybe ask a question.

Once again I am very glad you are taking this step with such passion and excitment. It is exciting! I will continue to pray for you. Do let us know how your experience was.

Peace,
Jen

40.png
dhgray:
Peace be with you.
and with you too my fellow poster 👍

Ok, Thanks everyone for your posts…

UPDATE…there will be no mass for me this weekend:( .

I’ve come down with some awful flu and have been throwing up all night. Unless I’m better sunday, I don’t see myself riding the bus for a half an hour…anywhere. But I am definetley going next week, and maybe if my schedule allows, sometime during the week.

Keep coming with the advice, I think I’ll need it!!

Don’t worry, I’ll be going to mass, but this weekend just didn’t pan out!!

40.png
sarcophagus:

I’ve come down with some awful flu and have been throwing up all night. Unless I’m better sunday, I don’t see myself riding the bus for a half an hour…anywhere. But I am definetley going next week, and maybe if my schedule allows, sometime during the week.

I know how you feel, I was very nervous about attending Mass having been at a few Catholic weddings where everyone else knew the words and what to do! I looked up my current parish’s website and got the email of the person handling RCIA. You might look into this. It is NOT the kind of arm twisting you might anticipate. People are welcome to come and learn and there is no pressure to convert. However it really helps to have a few friendly faces when you attend Mass. Someone from my RCIA group agreed to attend Mass with me and give me some guidance. It really wasn’t that confusing, just watch what others do.

You will be uplifted and I believe you will absolutely love the experience. It has such a feeling of worship and focus on God that I found missing at my former Prot church.

Lisa N

40.png
sarcophagus:
Wow, I’m really getting into this, and the strange thing is, it feels so right!!!
Yes. I know the feeling. Best place to sit is at the back. That way if you don’t happen to sit or kneel right on cue nobody will notice.

Something I didn’t notice in the other posts. It is, I think in most Catholic churches, customary to bend the right knee, (genuflect) in recognition of the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ in the Tabernacle, in the form of the host. This is done before you sit in the pew and then afterward when you are leaving the pew before you walk out. Also, any time that you cross in front of the altar, it is proper to genuflect. Nobody will accost you if you don’t, but it is proper, and when you think about it, the least we can do before our God and King.

I’m unsure about Orthodox, but otherwise this is unique to the Catholic Church because we have the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist.

Les Richardson:
Yes. I know the feeling. Best place to sit is at the back. That way if you don’t happen to sit or kneel right on cue nobody will notice.

Something I didn’t notice in the other posts. It is, I think in most Catholic churches, customary to bend the right knee, (genuflect) in recognition of the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ in the Tabernacle, in the form of the host. This is done before you sit in the pew and then afterward when you are leaving the pew before you walk out. Also, any time that you cross in front of the altar, it is proper to genuflect. Nobody will accost you if you don’t, but it is proper, and when you think about it, the least we can do before our God and King.

I’m unsure about Orthodox, but otherwise this is unique to the Catholic Church because we have the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist.
Dear friend

You are very right in that you genuflect before the Blessed Sacrament, but unless the Tabernacle is behind the Altar and not in a seperate chapel (which after Vatican II the Tabernacle usually is in it’s own place set apart from the Altar) if that is the case and the Tabernacle is behind the Altar then as you have said rightly you genuflect towards the Tabernacle, this also suffices for reverence to the Altar…But… if the Tabernacle is not immediate to the Altar, (that is behind ) , and the Tabernacle is in it’s own chapel , you bow to the Altar in reverence. When the Tabernacle is visible to you, you genuflect as usual. We genuflect to none or nothing, but Our Lord, our Lord is not the Altar.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

40.png
sarcophagus:

Dear friend

I hope you get well soon, I’ll light a candle for you and say a prayer for you when I go to Mass.

I can understand you feeling nervous, but keep in your mind, this is YOUR Father’s house and He is absolutely eternally happy to see you there in His house! I’m betting heaven is rejoicing over God’s son who has come for the first time to His house to sit their with Him and before His Son Christ Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. It is your home, dear friend, God’s house is your house.

Teresa

So sorry you are sick will pray for you.

Catholics are thrilled when a non-Catholic comes to Mass, and they are very happy to help the visitor follow along since they want him/her to understand what is going on. A Satuerday evening Mass might be best for this, and you can always go again to the Sunday morning Mass the next day. One can go to Mass daily. Just don’t go to Communion as that is reserved for Catholics only.

Anyone there will be glad to answer any questions you have. Just watch what others do and do the same. Teh missal provided in the pews may be a little confusing and you might be better served listening. And do dress nicely.

About transportation. Call the church office and they will be glad to find someone to give you a ride. It is no imposition, so don’t be embarrassed or reticent about doing it. In fact it is a small part of living out our faith. And it is an opportunity to talk to them and learn.

:blessyou:

40.png
Teresa9:
Dear friend

You are very right in that you genuflect before the Blessed Sacrament, but unless the Tabernacle is behind the Altar and not in a seperate chapel (which after Vatican II the Tabernacle usually is in it’s own place set apart from the Altar) if that is the case and the Tabernacle is behind the Altar then as you have said rightly you genuflect towards the Tabernacle, this also suffices for reverence to the Altar…But… if the Tabernacle is not immediate to the Altar, (that is behind ) , and the Tabernacle is in it’s own chapel , you bow to the Altar in reverence. When the Tabernacle is visible to you, you genuflect as usual. We genuflect to none or nothing, but Our Lord, our Lord is not the Altar.

Teresa
Exactly.

Sarc,

I am so exited for you that you have decided to go to Mass. I am sorry to hear that you can’t go this weekend. I hope you get over that pesky flu soon. Everyone has given you real good advice.

I would like to mention that when you come into a Catholic church, look for a red burning light. That red burning light indicates where Jesus resides in the Blessed Sacrament. When you have located it, before entering the pew, genuflect on one knee and bow your head a little, and if you want to, bless yourself with the Sign of the Cross, saying softly: In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, Amen.

Most Catholic churches have a gift store that you can visit after each Mass. Hopefully, the church you go to will have one and will be stocked with good catholic literature.

You will be in my prayers. May God continue to hold you by His hand and may the Holy Spirit guide you in all truths.

I didn’t see this answered specifically. While non-Catholics (or even Catholics to be) can’t take Communion, our priest said you may come up and if you put your right arm across your chest to your shoulder he knows you don’t take communion but he will give you a blessing. That might be something you don’t want to do the first time but I think it is proper. I await the wisdom of the other posters here who know much more than I do about whether this is OK in all parishes.

Sorry you are sick but you have something to look forward to next weekend!

Lisa N

Lisa N:
I didn’t see this answered specifically. While non-Catholics (or even Catholics to be) can’t take Communion, our priest said you may come up and if you put your right arm across your chest to your shoulder he knows you don’t take communion but he will give you a blessing. That might be something you don’t want to do the first time but I think it is proper. I await the wisdom of the other posters here who know much more than I do about whether this is OK in all parishes.

Sorry you are sick but you have something to look forward to next weekend!

Lisa N
Dear Lisa

I think that this happens everywhere Lisa, I am in the Uk and if someone is pre-first communion (child) or non-Catholic, they may join the Communion procession with their arms crossed across their chest and receive a blessing.

Teresa

40.png
Teresa9:
Dear Lisa

I think that this happens everywhere Lisa, I am in the Uk and if someone is pre-first communion (child) or non-Catholic, they may join the Communion procession with their arms crossed across their chest and receive a blessing.

Teresa
Thank you Teresa, your posts are always so warm and thoughtful. When I told some Prot friends I was converting they commented on how Catholics are so “snobby” about who takes Communion. But as someone said, if you truly understand this Sacrament, it is WORTH being in the right state to receive. I do not feel at all slighted to sit in the back when the rest of the people go forward. It will make the privilege so much more meaningful for having waited. I hope when I first go forward I don’t burst into tears or something totally gooby.

Lisa N

Lisa N:
Thank you Teresa, your posts are always so warm and thoughtful. When I told some Prot friends I was converting they commented on how Catholics are so “snobby” about who takes Communion. But as someone said, if you truly understand this Sacrament, it is WORTH being in the right state to receive. I do not feel at all slighted to sit in the back when the rest of the people go forward. It will make the privilege so much more meaningful for having waited. I hope when I first go forward I don’t burst into tears or something totally gooby.

Lisa N
Dear Lisa

That’s Ok, thanks for your reply and kindness. It must be extremely hard to wait and wait to receive our Lord, I will put you on my prayer list for your formation as a Catholic. My heart is filled with joy for you on your journey with our Lord Jesus Christ to the Catholic church.

Don’t worry about crying the first time you receive, I’m 33 and have been Catholic all my life and I sometimes cry when I receive our Lord. I cry because of a whole bunch of reasons. I used to feel a bit stupid and try to hide it, but now I’m not bothered who sees or what they think. The foremost reason why I have cried is out of love for Jesus and the joy He brings me.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you always

Teresa

My advice is a little different. If this will be your very first time at Mass, I would try to relax and enjoy the experience. Don’t worry about following a missal…Just do what everyone else is doing, and let your spirit soak up the experience of just being there. You will learn more and enjoy it more if your head is not burried in a missal, trying to keep up. Just BE. That’s all you need to do.

**Later on, you can take the time to explore a good missal, and ask questions, so you will understand what is going on more fully. **

The Mass is like a dance…At first the steps will seem strange, but after a while it all becomes second nature…You won’t even have to think about it…You will soon know whent to sit, stand and kneel, and the prayers will become familiar to your heart.

My first Mass, as an adult, was in a very large, very modern Catholic church. It was wonderful…The harmonies of the music were wonderful, and I felt right at home. Of course I had been used to a Lutheran service, so much of what I saw was familiar. I remember just doing whatever everyone else did, and feeling so happy.

I have since experienced Masses at many different kinds of Catholic churches. Some parishes have better Masses than others, and some are more traditional in tone than others (I especially love old churches), but it is all the same Mass…I find joy in it all, whether it is an NO Mass or a Tridentine one. No matter…The Lord is still present, and that is what counts.

Good luck to you. If, after your first Mass, you have questions, please ask them here. We will all be so happy to help you understand.

Blessings,
Catholic Heart

Lisa N:

Lisa N
40.png
Teresa9:
Don’t worry about crying the first time you receive, I’m 33 and have been Catholic all my life and I sometimes cry when I receive our Lord. I cry because of a whole bunch of reasons. I used to feel a bit stupid and try to hide it, but now I’m not bothered who sees or what they think. The foremost reason why I have cried is out of love for Jesus and the joy He brings me.
Hey, don’t tell anyone, but I’m a 47 year old male truck driver, and the Mass moves me to tears at times, not always at the same point.

40.png
sarcophagus:

You poor dear. My husband came down with the same bug last Thursday night and he’s only approaching normal health today. I’m praying that I don’t get it. God bless you and I’ll pray that you get well soon.

Today was the Feast of Christ the King, which is the last Sunday of the liturgical year. So when you go next Sunday, it will be the First Sunday of Advent (which is my favorite liturgical season) and the beginning of the new Church year. Nice time to begin going to Mass!

Les Richardson:
Hey, don’t tell anyone, but I’m a 47 year old male truck driver, and the Mass moves me to tears at times, not always at the same point.
Dearest Les

I won’t tell a living soul, but you just did :rotfl: . Today I went to Mass and after Mass I went for a conversation with our Lord before the Blessed Sacrament and guess what???.. I cried, a very kind old woman who does sacristy duty in my church, whom I love dearly came to speak to me having seen I was crying, she tried to console me with some words of kindness and I had to explain…‘I don’t know why I cry, I am not sad, I just cry and it looks crazy but it isn’t’… she, to my surprise. said she did the same thing and that she understood and said it was better to have a soft heart warm and open than a stone for a heart. How very right she is.

To all those who cry in Jesus in love, …God Bless you one and each

Teresa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back