My girlfriends past haunts me

  • Thread starter Thread starter maxima96se
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not exactly sure…i kind of feel that that is between her and god and not really my business. I already feel out of place like the thoughts i have could be misconstrued as judging her, which i dont want to do…i believe someone earlier said let those without sin cast the first stone. I believe the point, to me at least, was that she did seek forgiveness. Idk…
It is a fine line that one walks as one moves forward in a relationship. On the one hand you want to put the past behind and on the other hand you want to be honest and open.
There are some things that are indeed just between her and God, but if you and she wish to explore a future together then it is better to not have secrets or emotional impediments. That is why we council caution and taking things slowly.
Also u are correct throughout her life there were instances of sexual abuse as a child and an instance of rape as a young adult…
So yes im sure that is a contributing factor…however, and not to get into too much detail, i tried saving myself for marriage and at 19 was raped by a woman…sooo idk
See - this reinforces something I mentioned earlier. By being friends first and by being a loving “non-sexual” couple, you are beginning a long rebuilding process. One in which she can experience love separate from sex.
I think that a lot of what you are doing together is marvelous. Praying together is wonderful. Hope you can go to Mass together too. Celebrate each others successes and commiserate each others failures. Laugh and cry and grow and enjoy each other - and of course that includes her daughter.

Only God knows if this relationship will ultimately work out, but you seem to be a sincere and sensitive fellow and she a worthy woman. I can only see mutual benefit from your continued relationship at this time… whether that ends in matrimony or not.

Peace
James
 
While her past may be of concern, as well as the mindset of someone with a child who continues that behavior, remember that we are all sinners and “have fallen short of the glory of God”(Romans 3:23). Also, Christ loved us while we were still sinners and we are to imitate Christ.

That said, that is no promise that a relationship would work out. At some point the concerns you have may shift from issues with her past to issues you personally have. Neither are wrong, but should be seen for what they are.

You have my prayers.

Bryan
 
My advice would be to simply take any decision slowly and carefully

Your gut will tell you if it is worth investing time in and if the answer is yes, then shr will understand.

She has been honest to date with her past. That’s a tough thing to do - credit goes there.

The rest is about protecting yourself and making sure everyhing is right

I believe time is the best cure for all. Be patient, explain your reasons to want to go s…l…o…w… and if she is genuine she will be in for that plan.

Take your time and reflect honestly

Good luck!
I concur with the poster’s opinion.

The girlfriend seems repentant, but I am concerned that this behavior continued up to just before she met you. Time heals all wounds, and I think you should take your time in determining if you should marry her. It would also be advisable for her to give up drinking.
 
Thank you. Actually, I am aware about that. I came across it in the Navarre Bible: Text and Commentaries. But is this modern view about Mary Magdalene Church teaching or just an opinion?
 
In short, run.

The doubts you have now are going to crop up again and again. Yes, while it is true that your GF deserves the chance to straighten her life out, you do not have to be a part of the quite likely scenario that she will not do so. She needs a period of years to overcome the damage she’s inflicted upon herself, and it’s entirely possible that she never will.

She likely sees you as a white knight to rescue her from her previous bad decisions. When the infatuation of your relationship wears off, you will look a lot like the other 25.

Run.
 
It’s cliché and dismissive of the OPs concerns.

According to:

**The Relationship between Borderline Personality Disorder and Number of Sexual Partners
Randy A. Sansone, Charlene Lam, and Michael W. Wiederman
Journal of Personality Disorders 2011 25:6, 782-788 **

…and other studies, people with higher than average “partner counts” usually have serious mental disorders.
I was about to say.

Promiscuity and alcohol together sounds like low self-esteem and low self-esteem, with some probability, sounds like a trauma (from childhood or otherwise). She may have some issues to deal with, which need fixing before she can have a normal relationship, but which, in a way, can also make it somewhat lighter on you (i.e. the OP), given that she wasn’t being her normal self, in a similar way as it is much easier for us to forgive or excuse an insane perpetrator in a criminal case.

Also, make sure you aren’t being motivated by the need to save a damsel in distress. That is, such a motivation would be proper per se, but it should lead you to helping her, not to wooing her. You should be after someone who chooses you freely rather than being pressured by need. This is in no way to doubt the veracity of her conversion and the goodness of her motivation.
 
It’s cliché and dismissive of the OPs concerns.

According to:

**The Relationship between Borderline Personality Disorder and Number of Sexual Partners
Randy A. Sansone, Charlene Lam, and Michael W. Wiederman
Journal of Personality Disorders 2011 25:6, 782-788 **

…and other studies, people with higher than average “partner counts” usually have serious mental disorders.
Many times, they are just “looking for love in all the wrong place.”

Alcohol goes with promiscuity because it lowers inhibitions. One doesn’t have to be an alcoholic to drink, get uninhibited, and participate in sexual activity. Nor does one have to be mentally disordered.

Spiritually disordered, yes. I would say…yes to that.

But mostly, the people doing this don’t realize they are spiritually disordered. It’s what the culture is doing right now and so there is nothing externally wrong about it.
 
I think at this point her sexual past is the least of your worries. I ask this in all seriousness, has she been checked out for a bipolar disorder? The drinking, partying, going home with anyone who would take her, and doing it all while she has a child seems pretty destructive to me and its a classic sign of a bipolar disorder.

On the other hand, if I’m wrong you have already been with her for 5 months and you say that the only issue you have is something that happened before you met. If she really has turned around and gotten her life in order and is committed to keeping it that way it’s probably worth it to try to move past it. But only you know her and who she really is. None of us can answer that for you.

One more thing to heavily consider. Are you ready to be a father? If not leave now. If this progresses to marriage you will be a father to that child, and it would be cruel to marry her and reject her child.
I thought the same thing regarding bipolar–especially if she is participating in behavior she knows and feels is all wrong for her and still can’t seem to stop.
 
I feel for your girlfriend. I lived my life totally wrong also and regret my sexual history. It really is up to you to determine how much it bothers you, and if you really feel she has truely turned to God now.
 
Waste of Time

Any mental picture of your life that focuses on past sins is a lie and thus comes from the devil. Jesus loves you and has forgiven you your sins, so there is no room for having a downcast spirit. Whatever persuades you otherwise is truly a waste of time.

— from Padre Pio’s Spiritual Direction for Every Day

Just sharing.
 
Ok, so ive been dating this girl for around 5 months now, we are both catholic, and her past is cause of a good deal of mental distress in my life. I care about this girl quite a bit, and i can see myself developing a future with her and her 2 year old daughter. When we first started talking she informed me that she had lead a promiscuous lifestyle in the past, sleeping with “25ish men” i was told and often getting intoxicated and “going home with whoever would take me”. Now when getting to know her this was the only red flag i could find and believe me i am a very picky person and a very good judge of character. She had assured me that this was all in her past and she was very ashamed of it and it pains her to think about it. She has also gone to confession and spoken with a priest about this. She was looking for love and going about it completely wrong. She has also had 3 serious relationships in her life time as well. Well since the beginning of the relationship our feelings have grown, we attend church, pray, say the rosary, etc…together. I had also found out that up until a month before we met this behavior was still going on.

My problem is that the thoughts of her past haunt me. I think about it a lot and worry about her reverting to her old lifestye for various reasons, especially with the combination of alcohol and sex. It also worries me that things i have to offer her, not just sexually, may be worth less in her eyes since she has given herself to so many. What can i do to rectify this issue because so far it is the only probllem we have had. But it is a big one.

Sorry to seemingly ramble on, just thought some history on the subject was appropriate.
I appreciate any advice. Thank you! 🙂
Well if she has confessed and changed her ways her past isn’t really your business any more than your past would be hers. It’s how she’s living her life now that counts. God is the only person who has the right to judge her but if it bothers you too much I’d let her go and find someone else. There’s no point in continuing the relationship if you can’t move on and are stuck worrying about her past it would only give you both pain later.
 
My husband has a very similar past to your gf’s. Lots of partying/drinking/drugs, sex, all of that. He has at least one acknowleged child that he pays child support for, but believes there are others.

I’m going to be honest. People say that such a past should not matter, especially if there has been confession. BUT IT DOES. You can’t just make yourself forgive and forget and live happily ever after. Whether it should or not, it HURTS. All of his kisses and caresses and words have been meant, at one time, for others. They will never truly be all mine. My body is not special, he has “been there, done that” and seen and touched many others before. So many he can’t even remember them all. Nothing is new for him, I am just a different version of what he is already used to.

It is worse for me because he was my first. Everything we have done has been new and special for me, until I remember that for him, it’s all just old hat tricks. It is impossible that he isn’t making comparisons; I know that I couldn’t help but compare the two kisses I had before knowing him with his kisses. And he will always have those memories of those other times with other women, that he can go back and relive again and again.

Then there are the physical consequences. He gave me HPV, and I have since had two cancer scares and had to have some very uncomfortable and painful procedures done, and will likely need more in the future. Nothing like keeping yourself pure for someone special only to end up with genital warts and pre-cancerous lesions.

One of his partners will always be a part of our lives, because they have a child together. I have to listen to them talk to each other. I know he talks to her when I’m not around. I wonder how much he thinks about when they were together. The child looks just like her mother, so when he looks at his daughter’s face and feels love, he is kind of looking at her mother and feeling love. They will always have a special connection. She is the mother of his firstborn. And I have to deal with that.

Just when you think you have put it all behind you, something comes along to bring it all back. Last night my sister called me, all excited, and said she found a name that she loves and thinks we should name a future child with it. It was the name of his first lover. She didn’t know, but I had to sit there and listen to her gush about the name of his first.

Or how about St. Valentine’s Day? My birthday is on St. Valentine’s Day. So is the birthday of the last woman he slept with that wasn’t me (incidentally, while we were already a couple. Yeah, I thought he had repented and “turned good,” too).

I’ll get flack for being so bitter, for not letting it go. It’s not Christian to harbor resentment and all that. DH went to confession, but later told me he didn’t actually regret his past. So I know that it is something that he doesn’t see as a bad thing, but rather, something enjoyable. You can’t just snap your fingers and forget and move on.

So, yeah, OP, I feel your pain. I did end up married to my DH, but I didn’t know everything I know now about his past when we got married. I am mostly happy, but, as you can tell, his past is still an issue for me. I would love to get couple’s counseling, but DH is hesitant. I don’t think this is a reason for you to end your relationship, but it is something you are going to have to deal with, forever, make no mistake about that.

God bless.
 
My husband has a very similar past to your gf’s. Lots of partying/drinking/drugs, sex, all of that. He has at least one acknowleged child that he pays child support for, but believes there are others.

I’m going to be honest. People say that such a past should not matter, especially if there has been confession. BUT IT DOES. You can’t just make yourself forgive and forget and live happily ever after. Whether it should or not, it HURTS. All of his kisses and caresses and words have been meant, at one time, for others. They will never truly be all mine. My body is not special, he has “been there, done that” and seen and touched many others before. So many he can’t even remember them all. Nothing is new for him, I am just a different version of what he is already used to.

It is worse for me because he was my first. Everything we have done has been new and special for me, until I remember that for him, it’s all just old hat tricks. It is impossible that he isn’t making comparisons; I know that I couldn’t help but compare the two kisses I had before knowing him with his kisses. And he will always have those memories of those other times with other women, that he can go back and relive again and again.

**Then there are the physical consequences. He gave me HPV, and I have since had two cancer scares and had to have some very uncomfortable and painful procedures done, and will likely need more in the future. Nothing like keeping yourself pure for someone special only to end up with genital warts and pre-cancerous lesions. **

One of his partners will always be a part of our lives, because they have a child together. I have to listen to them talk to each other. I know he talks to her when I’m not around. I wonder how much he thinks about when they were together. The child looks just like her mother, so when he looks at his daughter’s face and feels love, he is kind of looking at her mother and feeling love. They will always have a special connection. She is the mother of his firstborn. And I have to deal with that.

Just when you think you have put it all behind you, something comes along to bring it all back. Last night my sister called me, all excited, and said she found a name that she loves and thinks we should name a future child with it. It was the name of his first lover. She didn’t know, but I had to sit there and listen to her gush about the name of his first.

Or how about St. Valentine’s Day? My birthday is on St. Valentine’s Day. So is the birthday of the last woman he slept with that wasn’t me (incidentally, while we were already a couple. Yeah, I thought he had repented and “turned good,” too).

I’ll get flack for being so bitter, for not letting it go. It’s not Christian to harbor resentment and all that. DH went to confession, but later told me he didn’t actually regret his past. So I know that it is something that he doesn’t see as a bad thing, but rather, something enjoyable. You can’t just snap your fingers and forget and move on.

So, yeah, OP, I feel your pain. I did end up married to my DH, but I didn’t know everything I know now about his past when we got married. I am mostly happy, but, as you can tell, his past is still an issue for me. I would love to get couple’s counseling, but DH is hesitant. I don’t think this is a reason for you to end your relationship, but it is something you are going to have to deal with, forever, make no mistake about that.

God bless.
Thanks for such an honest and frank post. These are the temporal effects of sin, and they DO NOT go away with confession! Yes, our sins are forgiven, but children do not just disappear - former girlfriends or one night stands do not disappear - diseases do not disappear.

What has been worse for me, as a formerly promiscuous person, married to a less promiscuous but by no means innocent person, is the knowledge, the absolute CERTAINTY, that once you completely trash your gift of sexuality that was give to you by God for the benefit of your marriage, that on this earth, you will NEVER KNOW what truly sacred sexuality is. You can’t pick up the smashed pieces and make them into a beautiful sculpture. There are pieces that have been lost along the way. I’m left with a damaged viewpoint, even though I would like to go back and do it over. I can’t. And my husband doesn’t view his own past the way I view mine. I regret EVERY SINGLE sexual encounter I had before marriage. I know that he doesn’t. It takes 2 people who want to heal, to heal as a couple. So that is something I just have to let go of. It will never happen on this earth, I regret it deeply, I’ve confessed it but the effects go on and will go on until I die.

The best I can do to heal is to make sure my sons don’t do as I did.
 
My husband has a very similar past to your gf’s. Lots of partying/drinking/drugs, sex, all of that. He has at least one acknowleged child that he pays child support for, but believes there are others.

I’m going to be honest. People say that such a past should not matter, especially if there has been confession. BUT IT DOES. You can’t just make yourself forgive and forget and live happily ever after. Whether it should or not, it HURTS. All of his kisses and caresses and words have been meant, at one time, for others. They will never truly be all mine. My body is not special, he has “been there, done that” and seen and touched many others before. So many he can’t even remember them all. Nothing is new for him, I am just a different version of what he is already used to.

It is worse for me because he was my first. Everything we have done has been new and special for me, until I remember that for him, it’s all just old hat tricks. It is impossible that he isn’t making comparisons; I know that I couldn’t help but compare the two kisses I had before knowing him with his kisses. And he will always have those memories of those other times with other women, that he can go back and relive again and again.

Then there are the physical consequences. He gave me HPV, and I have since had two cancer scares and had to have some very uncomfortable and painful procedures done, and will likely need more in the future. Nothing like keeping yourself pure for someone special only to end up with genital warts and pre-cancerous lesions.

One of his partners will always be a part of our lives, because they have a child together. I have to listen to them talk to each other. I know he talks to her when I’m not around. I wonder how much he thinks about when they were together. The child looks just like her mother, so when he looks at his daughter’s face and feels love, he is kind of looking at her mother and feeling love. They will always have a special connection. She is the mother of his firstborn. And I have to deal with that.

Just when you think you have put it all behind you, something comes along to bring it all back. Last night my sister called me, all excited, and said she found a name that she loves and thinks we should name a future child with it. It was the name of his first lover. She didn’t know, but I had to sit there and listen to her gush about the name of his first.

Or how about St. Valentine’s Day? My birthday is on St. Valentine’s Day. So is the birthday of the last woman he slept with that wasn’t me (incidentally, while we were already a couple. Yeah, I thought he had repented and “turned good,” too).

I’ll get flack for being so bitter, for not letting it go. It’s not Christian to harbor resentment and all that. DH went to confession, but later told me he didn’t actually regret his past. So I know that it is something that he doesn’t see as a bad thing, but rather, something enjoyable. You can’t just snap your fingers and forget and move on.

So, yeah, OP, I feel your pain. I did end up married to my DH, but I didn’t know everything I know now about his past when we got married. I am mostly happy, but, as you can tell, his past is still an issue for me. I would love to get couple’s counseling, but DH is hesitant. I don’t think this is a reason for you to end your relationship, but it is something you are going to have to deal with, forever, make no mistake about that.

God bless.
I am sorry to hear this. When I was reading your post, I kept asking myself whether you knew all this before marrying this man. In your last paragraph, you finally said you didn’t know everything. So I am not exactly sure what you knew and what you didn’t.

Whatever the case, you badly need counselling!!! First the child and her mother, the adultery, the birthdays issues…

You can go alone if your husband doesn’t want to come along with you. Counselling is really what you need!
 
I am sure we have all experienced a lot of different things in the past. It could be past bad behaviours, bad decisions,…, or even the death of love ones. Of course, such things would never go away if we don’t want them to go away by continuing to focus on them.

While it is understandable for someone to continue to think about a deceased loved one, it might be unhealth for somone to continue to think about a bad decision for instance that can never be reversed.

This is purely an issue of mind control. We have the choice to continue to look behind or to look forward. It might be difficult for some people, in which case they could seek help. That’s why there are psychologists & co out there.

I don’t think conclusions should be drawn about people because of their past. People change. It could go both ways.

What the OP is currently doing is just perfect. He is discerning. He has only been with this woman for 5 months. What she has brought to light within this short period of time is remarkable! She has basically given the OP the choice of immediately walking away while they are still in the early stages of their relationship. There are many married couples out there who were unfortunately never given this choice.

Some people would immediately walk away – or better still – run. Others wouldn’t.

I am sure the OP started dating her because he saw some worth – some qualities he appreciated – in her.

So this whole period of discernment is pretty much for the OP to determine whether he can live the rest of his life with this woman. I theoritically believe in a one year friendship period, then one year relationship and one year engagement before marriage. I say theoritically because in reality, our natural desires might cause us to accelerate the process.

So if after a year or so the OP looks at this woman’s daughter and rather than seeing her for who she is–a beautiful little girl, that he could embrace and raise as his own, he instead sees a man, then that’s a sign that the relationship might not work.

Personally, I don’t see why on earth I would look at a child and instead of seeing the child as a gift from God, I instead see in the child a different man or woman. 🤷

Maybe that’s why things like adoption are not for everyone. Those who would adopt a child and start brooding over how he or she was came about (e.g. via rape or so), shouldn’t be adopting.

There are those who wouldn’t even date someone with the slightest degree of impurity.

The OP has listened to both sides and the ball is now pretty much in his court. But if he was the walk-away type, he would have already done so.

Take all the time you need to get to know her well. If she is worth raising a family with, then fine-tune your thoughts in that direction.
 
The best advice is to become a rock for your girlfriend. A rock in terms of helping her continue to grow closer to God, and continue let God heal her. Also, to SLOW the courtship, and to LENGTHEN the time as boyfriend and girlfriend. You need to avoid rushing. Avoid it. Also, if you really love her, you need to PRAY to God, and ask if this is HIS WILL. LISTEN to what God says. TRULY LISTEN. Last piece of advice is to remember as others pointed out, Yes if she confessed she is FORGIVEN. God said so: all the sins of men will be forgiven. HOWEVER, the consequences of the sins (or as others said temporal effects) are likely to NOT disappear. There ARE cases where God takes away the consequences, but that is all UP TO HIM. It IS LIKELY that you will have to deal with the consequences of her sins when you marry her. Are you willing to help her CARRY HER CROSS?. You can see that this is NOT a trivial question.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top