My life

  • Thread starter Thread starter momof3inOR
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are stuck in the house for a year. If we faulter on the lease – we will ruin our reputation even further. We need both cars – considering we both work. I tried to tell my husband last night that I think the kids should go to public( Excellent schools in our area) and he said no. He thinks that the catholic school is the way to go…and he cites religion as the primary reason…which I understand - trust me. But it’s 500 a month…you know?

He thinks we are fine now – financially. But we are one financial mistep away from real problems…And my issue is that to KEEP my job – I have to have the right clothes etc. But, I can’t really afford to buy anything for myself. And he didn’t even get me a birthday present…
 
What is considered an alcoholic? I have about 2 glasses of wine a night…Sometimes 3.
It’s not how much you drink- it’s how you act when you drink. It gets worse and worse.

You are in my prayers. God Bless.

EricW.
 
We are stuck in the house for a year. If we faulter on the lease – we will ruin our reputation even further. We need both cars – considering we both work. I tried to tell my husband last night that I think the kids should go to public( Excellent schools in our area) and he said no. He thinks that the catholic school is the way to go…and he cites religion as the primary reason…which I understand - trust me. But it’s 500 a month…you know?

He thinks we are fine now – financially. But we are one financial mistep away from real problems…And my issue is that to KEEP my job – I have to have the right clothes etc. But, I can’t really afford to buy anything for myself. And he didn’t even get me a birthday present…
Is there some kind of anger issue on his part? What keeps you from setting boundaries with him?

Can you think of areas you can cut back immediately? Drop cable & use Netflix or Hulu for TV over the Internet? Cut cellphone plans? Stop eating out?

You have considerable power that you haven’t exerted. You earn the (vast) bulk of the $, according to what you’ve written. One option would be separating your finances. You refuse to pay for school - if he wants to send them, he pays the full boat. You each pay your share of housing, paying equally towards the children’s share. You each pay for your vehicle. You establish a budget for food, utilities, etc & split that…yes, just like room mates. He’s going to continue acting irresponsibly until he hits bottom. Yes, you may be dragged down with him, if all debt is in your name…so stop the madness before it gets worse. He won’t be happy, but that’s not your responsibility. Honest. You have got to protect your children, and yourself. If he won’t step up, at least try to mitigate the damage he’s doing…and eliminate what you can. He has got to have skin in the game here, it is NOT all on you.

To that end…cancel any credit cards. Go to a cash-only system. Put aside an emergency fund, even if it’s $20 a week…and don’t tell him where it’s hidden. No, this is not an ideal Christian marriage, but you have a God-given responsibility to protect your children above all.

You might also try a non-profit credit counseling program - ask your pastor for a referral. It sounds like some financial assistance from a professional could help a lot to prioritizing, budgeting and settling your accounts.
 
He does have an anger issue. We had major problems a little over a year ago. it’s like I don’t want to wake the sleeping lion. He just becomes a child…throws temper tantrums. Once I suggested we downsize our car and he suggested he buy a scooter and ride it to work. I said “seriously, come on…we have children to transport”…he said “they will love it. It will be fine”. He just turns into a child. It’s just not easy with him. I don’t know why i have such a hard time with him being upset. I just want to please I guess…and I am also in a bit of denial. I wish I wasn’t…but when I woke up and saw what was happening …I couldn’t sleep at night…I was anxious and scared ALL the time. It’s hell!
 
The simple answer to your problems are make your purse strings tighter. Cut down on things that are luxuries not needs, take that money and put it back. Have an honest discussion with your husband and tell him that the family is going to HAVE to be more careful with money. It isn’t fair that you have to live paycheck to paycheck.

Try to make it to where you can set a good percentage of your weekly wage back into a savings account. Around 10% would be really good but only the money you can put back just make sure that you always put a percentage back and never bend on it. Never touch that money for anything, just let it be there for extra cushion.
 
Do BOTH of you sit down and do a budget each month?

You might try finding the David Ramsey class. We took it at a Baptist church; it’s a great tool for learning to communicate financially/create a sustainable budget.
 
We tried Dave Ramsey and I also suggested a financial planner. he said no to the financial planner because he said we’d pay someone to tell us to terminate cable…etc. etc and that wasn’t what he wanted to do. I mean no one WANTS to do this…but geez.

I just feel like we live in the perfect house now – we have the perfect life – now I have to find a way to make sure we can afford to buy it. That’s basically where we are at. The books …he talks about those books and how they are doing ALL the time.
 
We tried Dave Ramsey and I also suggested a financial planner. he said no to the financial planner because he said we’d pay someone to tell us to terminate cable…etc. etc and that wasn’t what he wanted to do. I mean no one WANTS to do this…but geez.

I just feel like we live in the perfect house now – we have the perfect life – now I have to find a way to make sure we can afford to buy it. That’s basically where we are at. The books …he talks about those books and how they are doing ALL the time.
He may not “want” to do it…but then again it’s not him earning the $ and losing the sleep. You’re in a no-win situation - you either work yourself to an early grave (or alcoholism) by trying to do more & more & more (while he takes & takes & takes)…or you have to deal with another toddler in the house (because he’s cranky because he’s watching Netflix). So I guess the decision is, which way do you want to go? And that’s something you might hash out with your priest, and your therapist.

I don’t know if I saw this previously - do you WANT to write those books? From the bottom of your heart, are you HAPPY writing those books? As an aside, that’s another position of power you hold & can bargain with: unless he picks up a second job (and not a couple hours a week - a REAL job with a REAL income), you’re done writing, or similar. (BTW - how old are the kids? Is a nanny an essential budget item?)

I encourage you to step away from your keyboard right now and call your pastor, or call your insurance company for a referral to a counselor, call & get that appointment. (We’ll all be here when you get back! It’ll only take a few minutes!!)
 
I did just make an appointment with a therapist. Thanks for the advice. I took a break and it’s obviously time to go back again.

The problem I had last time is that she got so fet up with hearing about the things I was going through…she really tried to get me to be strong enough to leave my husband. But, I kept coming back every week and reporting that i was giving him another chance…and I could see that she really just thought I was a sinking ship.

It’s just tough. Maybe this new counselor will help me be stronger…no matter which way the cookie crumbles…
 
We tried Dave Ramsey and I also suggested a financial planner. he said no to the financial planner because he said we’d pay someone to tell us to terminate cable…etc. etc and that wasn’t what he wanted to do. I mean no one WANTS to do this…but geez.

I just feel like we live in the perfect house now – we have the perfect life – now I have to find a way to make sure we can afford to buy it. That’s basically where we are at. The books …he talks about those books and how they are doing ALL the time.
Ok, I need to address this. I am actually a professional editor for a small publishing house, and I see what happens to 99.99999% of people who write, and that includes people who write romance and/or erotica. (I know that is the best-selling genre, but what I am going to say still applies.)

Most people get rejected. Straight up, straight out of hand, most people will not even make it in the door. Of the ones who are accepted by publishers (and being accepted by an agent, itself a difficult feat, is no guarantee of being accepted by a publisher), most make a pittance. I know personally multiple authors who make under $200 a year from their work. Obviously no one is quitting her day-job over this! Furthermore, it is one long slog of trying to drum up attention in a glutted market.

And as for 50SOG, well, that is an interesting situation. 50SOG was written originally as fan fiction for Twilight, where the hero and heroine were actually Edward and Bella from Twilight. The author belonged to a fan forum, and thousands of the fan forum members read the fan fiction. She was published by a tiny publisher, who quickly found that the thousands of fan forum members were buying this book because they had liked its earlier Edward-Bella incarnation, and a larger publisher bought the rights from the smaller one. It was a snowball effect due to her extremely large pre-existing fan base.

The 50SOG phenomenon is not one you will be able to duplicate unless you just happen to be a member of an extremely large fan-fiction community with a large fan following there.

Your husband is dreaming if he thinks you will be able to make much of anything writing romance/erotica.

Obviously, I have not read any of your writing, but speaking strictly as a member of “the business”, writing romance/erotica is usually a hobby, or at best a very small supplemental income. Don’t expect to be able to pay for even the Catholic school tuition with royalties, let alone live on them.

If you want to put your husband in touch with me, I can explain these things. PM me if you need to. But seriously, do not try to rework your life around this source of income. If you do, you (and your husband!) are setting yourselves up for disappointment. Writing erotica just to “cash in” on the 50SOG thing will not work. There are already hundreds and hundreds of established authors trying to do the same thing, and they have a head-start.

There isn’t a “next” 50SOG any more than there was a “next” Twilight or “next” Da Vinci Code or “next” Harry Potter. Those were all breakaway best-sellers, but they were not connected to one another, and they were not “next” big things. Knock-off vampire novels, paranormal historicals, and fantasies are already all over the market. None of them are the “next big thing”.

Seriously, your husband needs a HUGE reality check. Again, if you need to put him in touch with me, feel free to send me a PM.
 
I did just make an appointment with a therapist. Thanks for the advice. I took a break and it’s obviously time to go back again.

The problem I had last time is that she got so fet up with hearing about the things I was going through…she really tried to get me to be strong enough to leave my husband. But, I kept coming back every week and reporting that i was giving him another chance…and I could see that she really just thought I was a sinking ship.

It’s just tough. Maybe this new counselor will help me be stronger…no matter which way the cookie crumbles…
Hon, I hate to put it this way, but you didn’t really get married to a man. You got married to someone who is more like a child. He wants what he wants and when he doesn’t get it, he throws a conniption. You don’t have an adult partner, you are trying to manage with 4 children, one of whom just has a job, but is not acting WITH you in terms of being married. You can’t be a couple when he isn’t an adult.

I don’t know how you can live like this, honestly. You didn’t take real vows with an adult! What kind of marriage is that? You can’t even make a budget with him because he won’t listen to your VERY REAL money problems! He just spends what you make and doesn’t care! You’ve already gone through bankruptcy? And he thinks you have a perfect life?

:eek:

I would get counseling, but I am not very hopeful that he will grow up. If you want to continue to raise your husband as your child…🤷 It’s going to be a problem for you, not for him. That little vignette about getting a scooter told me everything about him that I need to know. Ridiculous.
 
Thanks for your (name removed by moderator)ut, Real Julianne. I have to say the hard part is that PART of him is very good. It’s like living with someone with split personalities…all seems fine, then he just reverts into childlike behavior. I want to be able to lean on him…like I can with work issues etc. When I told him I wanted to go back to school and get a law degree - he literally deterioated in front of my eyes. This was awhile ago now…but I was making the bigger salary, still. He just couldn’t face the idea of being without our current lifestyle. He said “ok, I guess I’ll go sweep floors at walmart overnight…to support us”. He just makes huge threats etc. You get the picture.

I’m really worried…worried a great deal about myself too. I just feel like I’m wandering…I have had visions of trying to leave him and starting over. The problem is–I am seeing this still with blinders on…the things that people find alarming…don’t always alarm me. He had suggested that I sue my mother --when my father died - since she didn’t give me any money. he told me my mother was selfish for taking it all…even though my mother had nothing to live on…she had planned to give us our share after SHE dies. And through his words – I found myself playing into it. Thank goodness I wisened up …but he definitely has impacted my thoughts etc.
 
Thanks for your (name removed by moderator)ut, Real Julianne. I have to say the hard part is that PART of him is very good. It’s like living with someone with split personalities…all seems fine, then he just reverts into childlike behavior. I want to be able to lean on him…like I can with work issues etc. When I told him I wanted to go back to school and get a law degree - he literally deteriorated in front of my eyes. This was awhile ago now…but I was making the bigger salary, still. He just couldn’t face the idea of being without our current lifestyle. He said “ok, I guess I’ll go sweep floors at walmart overnight…to support us”. He just makes huge threats etc. You get the picture.

I’m really worried…worried a great deal about myself too. I just feel like I’m wandering…I have had visions of trying to leave him and starting over. The problem is–I am seeing this still with blinders on…the things that people find alarming…don’t always alarm me. He had suggested that I sue my mother --when my father died - since she didn’t give me any money. he told me my mother was selfish for taking it all…even though my mother had nothing to live on…she had planned to give us our share after SHE dies. And through his words – I found myself playing into it. Thank goodness I wisened up …but he definitely has impacted my thoughts etc.
Almost everyone alive has some redeeming qualities, momof3. OK, maybe a serial murderer like Hannibal Lecter (fictional character) doesn’t have any! But you are setting the bar very low for a person who is supposed to be your partner in life and the person who is helping you get to heaven! Instead, your husband is a petulant child, and a treacherous one, at that. He is manipulating you to sue your own mother?? :eek:

Are you or are you not writing this erotica that he wants you to write? You need to stop that right now. Do not do it any more.

I am glad you are going to see a counselor. Please listen to what that person tells you. You remind me of myself when I was being emotionally abused. It took MONTHS of therapy before I could even admit that I had been in danger. The blinders can be quite hard to take off.

Have you talked to your priest yet?

And, how did your husband seem before you married? Was he responsible or did he charm you into marrying him so he could continue to enjoy the lifestyle that YOU would provide?
 
Did you read my earlier post, momof3? What he wants you to do regarding writing is unfeasible.

And he sounds like he simply does not get that your current lifestyle is untenable.😦
 
I have what might be a slightly different perspective. As I read the initial post, I wonder if you have considered your part in this resentment towards your husband?

It sounds like you were very career driven for a time.
Did your husband force you to get the job that you have?
Or to take up the side business?
Did he make you buy the house? or lease the cars?

If you’ve had a certain lifestyle for such a long time, one that you have primarily supported, is it any wonder that your husband resists changing?

I think about my own situation…I work full-time, have a part-time job and also a side-business doing freelance work now and then. My wife used to run her own business, but quit that to rear our children. Would it be fair for me to tell her that I want to spend more time at home, and she’d better step up and start earning some money? And then if she resists, become angry and resentful toward her?

Also, might there be a bit of envy in your resentment of your husband? He certainly has more free time than you, but isn’t that at least in part due to choices you have freely made?

You can’t change your husband. And your financial situation, while perilous, is not something that looks like it will be resolved overnight. You can work on changing yourself, though. Get yourself in a better place so that you can make the difficult decisions that you’ll need to make.

One place to start may be an AA meeting. I don’t know if you’re an alcoholic or not, but I’ve seen twelve step programs do some pretty miraculous things. Can’t hurt to check it out, and it won’t cost you anything.

Hope I don’t come off as too much of a jerk. You really are in a tough situation, and will be in my prayers.
 
Let us not forget that divorce is not only something that is morally permissible only under very particular circumstances, but is also something that is very expensive.

OP, you cannot go wrong by learning to draw your boundaries. As I have told many relatives, you can divorce a spouse, but an “ex” is forever. Sometimes divorce cannot be avoided, but unless you or your children are in imminent danger, it is well worth trying.

I do not mean to interpret “'imminent danger” to strictly, only to say that if you divorce this guy, you’re still going to need to know how to draw boundaries with him, or you’ll never get the financial help you deserve in supporting your children. Practice drawing the boundaries, and maybe things will turn around. If they don’t, knowing how to draw the boundaries and make them stick will be a skill worth having practiced, I’m afraid.

Hang in there. Get some help in drawing boundaries, but you have to do it, OK? You can do this!! If it works, you will all be happier. Your home life is going to be better for everyone when you are not being killed off one day at a time.
 
Thanks to ALL of you for your responses! I really enjoyed reading your inside scoop, Sillara.

It’s wonderful to hear how that transpired! I know my ebooks probably won’t make much. I have one romance novel that is currently making about 1800.00 a month. I’ve been lucky. Unfortunately I know it’s a fad on amazon right now. It won’t last long.

I started writing the erotica and it’s just made me uncomfortable. I have been trying…but it doesn’t come easily for me.

I have tried very hard all my life to provide. To answer Juliane’s question… My husband from the very beginning was pushing me to work harder and make more. I should have known back then.

Also to answer another question… I have not always made this kind of money. I have always strived in my career and I have consistently made more than my hubby… But I don’t think it’s fair to say that I set him up for this lifestyle and am now unfairly ripping it away.

I have just always been a fighter. When we got into debt I always went to work. I did not chose to work all these jobs. It’s out of need.
Did you read my earlier post, momof3? What he wants you to do regarding writing is unfeasible.

And he sounds like he simply does not get that your current lifestyle is untenable.😦
 
Yes bankruptcy was something he went through 7 years ago. Now he gets mad if we put anything on HIS credit cards. I can seem him tense when I suggest HE pay for something.

Also, I have taken what someone else said here to heart. Maybe it’s unfair for me to not want to bring in extra income? But I’m telling you … Regardless I do not like working ALL the time. And that was not how I came into the marriage… The extra jobs were taken on when he was unemployed for 7 months.

QUOTE=TheRealJuliane;9626154]Hon, I hate to put it this way, but you didn’t really get married to a man. You got married to someone who is more like a child. He wants what he wants and when he doesn’t get it, he throws a conniption. You don’t have an adult partner, you are trying to manage with 4 children, one of whom just has a job, but is not acting WITH you in terms of being married. You can’t be a couple when he isn’t an adult.

I don’t know how you can live like this, honestly. You didn’t take real vows with an adult! What kind of marriage is that? You can’t even make a budget with him because he won’t listen to your VERY REAL money problems! He just spends what you make and doesn’t care! You’ve already gone through bankruptcy? And he thinks you have a perfect life?

:eek:

I would get counseling, but I am not very hopeful that he will grow up. If you want to continue to raise your husband as your child…🤷 It’s going to be a problem for you, not for him. That little vignette about getting a scooter told me everything about him that I need to know. Ridiculous.
 
Get some Catholic counseling, you need professional advice. But you can get out of that mess, but you will have to do with a lot less. You guys are simply living too high. Give the house back if you can’t sell it. Get rid of one of the cars. Declare bankruptcy if you have to. Rent a house, live in a poorer neighborhood. Tell you lazy husband if he wants all that nice stuff he will have to get another job because you are going to give up either your job or your business. And how about your spiritual life? Have you got any? Sorry to be so blunt but you need tough love now and so does that guy you married.:sad_yes:
👍👍

This is blunt but good advice…

Peace
James
 
Codependency is something that the therapist brought up with us, too. I have read about it and I see the symptoms of it…but I just feel like I’m stuck in a viscious cycle. I honestly feel like i’m being worked to the bone.
I hate to say it – even after ALL I have gone through with my husband – but I feel like giving up on our marriage. I just wish I married someone who would provide for us. Yes, he works – but what I bring home is never good enough. Except for the fact that’s it’s nearly double what HE brings home. It’s a double standard - yet I feel selfish for complaining. I know God frowns on divorce.
If this continues you will wind up having a breakdown – you could wind up spending a considerable amount of time on an “in-patient” unit. I’ve seen it happen before….

Red Flags from your posts
As I read through your posts these things kind of jumped out at me…I haven’t really assembled them and I see that many others have tried to address them but I also thought it might be useful to see them all together….
We can’t get out of our house …we are stuck there. The cars - same thing. They are leased. So, I"m just working every minute of every day to try and “maintain”. Then, my husband and I wanted to send the kids to Catholic school. But, we found out it’s about 10k a year. He signed them up. I just can’t keep up any longer with “his lifestyle”.
Taking such steps without you being on board is totally unacceptable behavior - UNLESS, he is making plans to come up with the money - and I don’t mean making plans for you to make the money…Totally unacceptable…
But, then at the last minute he told me he was taking the day before off - to pack with the hired packers. I thought that was odd…then I found out that he was taking our son to an audition to be on a soap opera…a long drive away! I was not thrilled, but he just did it anyway.
He lies and takes your son to an audition - again without you being on board with it???
Ok - let me give you an example of what I’m talking about. I should mention that my husband has asked/insisted that I write erotica…since the whole 50 shades of gray – explosion. He thinks I could make millions by writing that… which I was not comfortable with. Then I told him no one could EVER know – and I found out he told one of my coworkers… nice.
One of the biggest red flags of all. How can he possibly think that he is any sort of Catholic…Do you realize that if you go through with this, you will be committing a sin for the purpose of sending your kids to Catholic School??? How can he justify this???
He does have an anger issue. We had major problems a little over a year ago. it’s like I don’t want to wake the sleeping lion. He just becomes a child…throws temper tantrums
This fits right in with everything else…
he said no to the financial planner because he said we’d pay someone to tell us to terminate cable…etc. etc and that wasn’t what he wanted to do.
well - Duh dude…
I just feel like we live in the perfect house now – we have the perfect life – now I have to find a way to make sure we can afford to buy it. That’s basically where we are at. The books …he talks about those books and how they are doing ALL the time.
This sort of speaks to your responsibility in all of this…
How can you think any of this is perfect when you are killing yourself - and for what?
I have to say the hard part is that PART of him is very good. It’s like living with someone with split personalities…all seems fine, then he just reverts into childlike behavior. I want to be able to lean on him…like I can with work issues etc. When I told him I wanted to go back to school and get a law degree - he literally deteriorated in front of my eyes. This was awhile ago now…but I was making the bigger salary, still. He just couldn’t face the idea of being without our current lifestyle. He said “ok, I guess I’ll go sweep floors at walmart overnight…to support us”. He just makes huge threats etc. You get the picture.
Yes I get the picture exactly. In fact it’s a little tooooo clear. He knows he can manipulate you and he will continue to do so until you begin calling him on it…
I don’t mean you have to throw a tantrum yourself, but you have to get up the gumption to not play his games…
In the scenario above…when he said something about getting a job sweeping at Walmart, you respond…“That sounds great - it would help a lot”. And you say it seriously, not flippantly, not sarcastically, but charitably and supportively…you know he isn’t going to do it…(probably) BUT…what can he say? He is the one who brought it up and all you did was agree with him.

I went through a very similar thing when my marriage of 19 years ended many years ago. I called it my “shutdown mode”. When it became clear that the marriage was over, It was necessary for me to avoid becoming “sucked into” her mode of operation. No arguing, no compromising, no being influenced by her “threats”. She even threatened suicide. Without going into details - I (pretty well) knew it was a bluff and I called her on it by going to a hotel that night.

You have been married to this man for 19 years. You know him pretty well. You know that he will not change so you have to. Not for him, but for yourself…and for your children. THEN…If he is willing to change to fit in with this “new you” that will be great. If not - then you part - sadder but wiser…
I know God frowns on divorce
God frowns on divorce where the marriage was valid. Frankly - I have to wonder if your husband was mature enough to enter into a valid sacramental marriage…Certainly we cannot say based on the snapshot we have here - but his thoughts and actions as you describe are not those of a mature man who understands his duties as a Catholic husband.

That’s about all I can offer…Best of luck

Peace
James
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top