My New Prayer Rope!

• Thread starter Thread starter LouLouTyson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LouLouTyson

Hello All šŸ™‚ I just have to take a minute to brag on @Phillip_Rolfes.

My husband and I wanted to purchase prayer ropes, and to begin really incorporating The Jesus Prayer into our daily prayer lives. I saw in another thread that we have a resident creator of prayer ropes here at CAF, and so reached out to Phillip to purchase from him. He was wonderful to work with, first of all. But the prayer ropes that he created for us are absolutely incredible! Truly, they are beautiful and feel so good in the hand. Yā€™all need to purchase from him for yourself, your family members, the grocery store clerk, the mail carrier, your neighborā€¦

Phillip, thank you for blessing us (and so many others) with what you do!

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Message @Phillip_Rolfes! You can order one from him, and he will make one just for you.

Thatā€™s great! @Phillip_Rolfes does excellent work. I have one of his prayer ropes, and canā€™t recommend him highly enough!

I feel like I should explain a bit about my prayer ropes.

Those are 100 knot prayer ropes with olivewood divider beads every 25 knots. The olivewood beads are from Bethlehem in the Holy Land and are meant to serve as a physical reminder of the Incarnation of Christ.

The skulls at the joining knot are a reminder of our own mortality. As the Desert Fathers were so fond of reminding us, we ought to be remembering our death at all times.

Although I make prayer ropes in several colors, black is meant as a reminder that we are to mourn for our sins (plus it just looks cool with the skulls).

Picture next to a ruler would be nice, and price idea.
Dominus vobiscum
Forgot ETA as well.

Last edited:
Here you go! Alsoā€¦

Pricing:

33 Knot Prayer Rope Bracelet - $20
50 Knot Prayer Rope - $30
100 Knot Prayer Rope - $45

@Phillip_Rolfes do you have a wait time, currently?

@Margaret_Ann I get that reaction a lot. They arenā€™t essential. I can replace the skulls with two olivewood beads.

That being said, in a certain way theyā€™re meant to be creepyā€¦ or at least jarring. Our modern society doesnā€™t like to think on death, especially our own personal death. But itā€™s an key element of the spiritual life.

do you have a wait time, currently?
I do currently have a wait time. Right now weā€™re looking at around a month. But if I have to go into ā€œforced monasticismā€ because of the virus, it could be sooner. šŸ˜†

The skulls sound kind of creepy
I have never seen a skull on an Orthodox-made prayer ropeā€¦

Olive wood beads are goodā€¦

We normally do not have beads at the top of the crossā€¦

There are also cross shaped beadsā€¦

geo

Last edited:
True. However, when I need to meditate about death, I think of Mom, Dad and my deceased relatives.

When Mom passed away last November, it was the first time I ever saw death. When Dad passed away, it happened in our parlor (where I am now). We had to open the front door and windows because the stench from his body was awful. He passed away 10 1/2 years ago (it will be 11 in June - the day before my birthday) and I canā€™t forget it. All the old meditation and prayer books that talk about the stench of death are spot on.

My Uncle John passed away last year with the priest hearing his confession shortly before his death. My Aunt Margaret, who died March 14 (2 weeks this coming Saturday 3/28) passed away in her sleep, as did my grandma (Aunt Margaretā€™s mother) and another uncle.

Thatā€™s what scares me - dying in my sleep. People say thatā€™s the best way to go but if a person dies during sleep in the state of mortal sin, itā€™s NOT a good death. Whenever the good Lord takes me, I want to be in the state of sanctifying grace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back