My New Prayer Rope!

• Thread starter Thread starter LouLouTyson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have our palm leaves in the fridge…

I suspect we will be having a minimal yet streamed Pascha Service…

geo

@George720 I just saw this posted on another site:

I had to lie in a coffin while acting in the film ‘Ostrov’ (The Island). A coffin is a strict and plain thing. Four sides and a lid - nothing more, no Gospel, no icons. We all will lie there. What with? What have I got? What have I acquired? I know how to compose music, how to drive a car… I know how to make use of this thing or that.

But I do not know how to forgive, how not to lose my temper. I do not know how to give something away without regret. I can do nothing of what I will need in eternity, what cannot be touched. I have learnt to do lots of things that are absolutely useless there. So what should we do? We should tear ourselves from everything, bit by bit - as if removing a bandage from a wound.

I am blessed to have a big house. I walk around it and like everything there - my bedroom, my study… I will have to leave all that behind. I do not want to! My collection of four thousand exclusive vinyl records - I wish I could keep it!

Then I see with time - no, I do not feel that much regret about having to leave everything behind. I am happy to see my dependence beginning to weaken. This is what we should spend our lifetime for - we should get ourselves ready to enter the eternity.

— Actor Pyotr Mamonov, who starred in the film ‘Ostrov’ (The Island)

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

I recall a photo of a headstone I saw when I was in high school (I’m now 46) that to this day I have never forgotten:

“Stranger stopped when passing by,
As you are now, so once was I,
As I am now, so you shall be,
So be prepared to follow me.”

But I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to derail the thread.
One of my college professors gave us this version with sequel:

As you are young, so once was I,
As I am now, so you shall be,
So prepare for death and follow me.”

Underneath someone wrote:

To follow you I’m not content,
Until I learn which way you went.

😁

Last edited:
Btw, in the video the lady sings the Byzantine Hail Mary (Bohorodytse Divo) in either Russian or Slavonic and the Megalynarion (Dostoino yest) in Slavonic.

It was very thoughtful of you to post it.

I’ve never seen a prayer rope with skulls before; what do they represent?

I’ve been reading the Desert Fathers a great deal lately (as in, for the last six years or so). One of their most consistent themes is the encouragement for us to remember our death. So I started making prayer ropes with skull beads as a personal devotion to remember my own death. I showed it to several people, who immediately expressed an interest in having such a rope. That’s when I started making the prayer ropes with the skull beads.

Originally I replaced all beads with the skull-shaped beads, but I missed the symbolism of the olivewood beads from the Holy Land that I’d been using. So I reduced the skull beads to the end, and have started using olivewood beads from the Holy Land as divider beads once more.

The link doesn’t work. It looks like a gmail link. The other link is just to the Monastery’s home page and I can’t find anything about the icon.

I’ve been wanting to go here for a while (it’s not far from my home, maybe 40 minutes). I didn’t find out about it until I joined the Society of St. John Chrysostom. There are people in the local chapter that knew Fr. Hopko of blessed memory, but sadly I joined after he had already passed.

I think the story of the Monastery’s founding by the Princess is fascinating.

Thats the same one I have…although it is a bit thread worn after 10 years, with a little fraying I had to fix.

I modify the Jesus prayer between decades with:

“Have mercy on the unborn”
“Have mercy on the sick and dying”
“Have mercy on the poor”
“Have mercy on my family and friends”
“Have mercy on priests and deacons”

the possibilities are endless

Happy Easter!

I love this!! Thank you for sharing? May I be a total copycat and use these prayers, too?

This is the prayer rope I looked for for years…

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Each of the knots are both round and hard, and the separation between them is just right, and very uniform one to the next… I have never had to “stretch it to just right” which so many I know have to do with theirs because the knots tend to nestle one against the next… I understand it to be wool, and I regard it as Athonite, though presume it was made in Arizona… It lives on a hook in my icon corner…

geo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back