I
IdaCatholic
Guest
SOME protestansts believe we are saved by faith ALONE. That works don’t matter.
The Church makes the case that the atheist who is saved (we’d have to argue over semantics here)…po18guy:![]()
People say this, but is it really true? Doesn’t the church hold that people who have no faith (ie, they weren’t raised in the faith and noone ever made a convincing argument to them for God’s existence) but live a good life can be saved? Or at least the church doesn’t say definitively that they can’t be saved.Works,by themselves, do not save. They cannot.
So if those “good atheists” can potentially be saved, but don’t have faith, all they can have that makes them good is good works right? So in that case good works would count toward their salvation.
It doesn’t sound Protestant-like, it sounds Christian, specifically Pauline in its doctrine. This is the catholic faith that was handed down to us by the apostles and affirmed by the Church fathers. If this is what your priest was teaching then perhaps there is hope that the Church can once again be united in doctrine and practice. I would celebrate if I were you.The priest at today’s sunday Mass said we are saved by faith. He said that good works are important, that the Bible tells us that faith without works is dead and that if we have a faith that could move mountains but we don’t have charity we are nothing, but good works are the fruit of the faith, we are saved by our faith. I hope I misunderstood his words but it just sounded very Protestant like.
The Roman Catholic Church teaches that we’ll be judged by that fruit, i.e. on our love. That has always been the Christian doctrine and practice.It doesn’t sound Protestant-like, it sounds Christian, specifically Pauline in its doctrine. This is the catholic faith that was handed down to us by the apostles and affirmed by the Church fathers. If this is what your priest was teaching then perhaps there is hope that the Church can once again be united in doctrine and practice. I would celebrate if I were you.
And yet, according to the Church, at the end of our lives we’ll be judged on our love, faith having served its purpose to the extent that it’s brought us to that point. And, yes, it’s all a matter of grace, and our cooperation with it.I believe we are saved by grace, through faith, and good works are the physical manifestation of charity/love, which allows us to physically experience the spiritual reality, and which God may reckon as meritorious behavior. Faith and works make us open to grace, but grace is what “does the saving”, to put it empirically.