Need help with google searches for apocrypha deuterocanon books online

  • Thread starter Thread starter Big_Dummy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Big_Dummy

Guest
when I google for “apocrypha deuterocanon books online dramatized” i get too much of what I do not want.

I am trying to find a free dramatized audio or mp3 files for the deuterocanonal books.

Anyone know of any specific sites? or how to narrow to a better search that is more precise for what I want to find?
 
Try reducing the search terms. “Deuterocanon” with “Mp3” or “audio” might be better. It is doubtful that non-Catholics would devote the time and energy to books which they do not hold sacred. Thus, the pejorative term “apocrypha” will likely not return any results. Or, search by book name, such as Sirach, Tobit or Maccabees.
 
Try reducing the search terms. “Deuterocanon” with “Mp3” or “audio” might be better. It is doubtful that non-Catholics would devote the time and energy to books which they do not hold sacred. Thus, the pejorative term “apocrypha” will likely not return any results. Or, search by book name, such as Sirach, Tobit or Maccabees.
good idea will try them.

Has anyone read any good introductions to those books? commentaries? related theological books?
 
good idea will try them. Has anyone read any good introductions to those books? commentaries? related theological books?
Glad you asked! Inside the Bible by Jesuit Fr. Kenneth Baker is an excellent intro to each of the 73 books of the bible. I have my copy in hand. For each book, its gives it’s place in the bible, date and author, the theme of the book, a summary, the theology contained in it, an outline, and a reflection on a prominent verse. It is not an in-depth examination, but a great introduction and guide to each book.

As for online bibles that contain the deuterocanon, try these links:

latinvulgate.com/

jmom.honlam.org/rsvce/

catholic.org/bible/

usccb.org/nab/bible/index.shtml
 
I am still not having a lot of luck locating free catholic audio bibles online going via book — tobit, judith, etc., Maybe the better approach is by translation name, NAB is what again? What is the full title and abrevation for Douay? Goodnews aka TEV and NRSV have catholic editions right? What else? Common something?
 
I am still not having a lot of luck locating free catholic audio bibles online going via book — tobit, judith, etc., Maybe the better approach is by translation name, NAB is what again? What is the full title and abrevation for Douay? Goodnews aka TEV and NRSV have catholic editions right? What else? Common something?
The NAB is the New American Bible - the “official” bible of the American Catholic Church. It is a lukewarm Catholic translation, with horrible footnotes. It has been re-edited into the NABRE (New American Bible-Revised Edition). I’m still lukewarm about it, as it uses the fashionable "gender inclusive " language that sounds clumsy.

Much preferred is either the ‘RSV-2CE’ (Revised Standard Version - Second Catholic Edition, aka the Ignatius Bible)), or the D-R (Douay-Rheims) bible, with versions running from 1583-1609 to 1899, depending upon the edition. The older, the better, in my book.

There is also the New Jerusalem Bible (NJB?) but it is also gender inclusive - clumsy sounding.

Most all of the other bibles NIV, NRSV, NASB, GNB, KJV, NKJV and the rest are 66 book protestant bibles. There may be some Catholic editions, but I am unaware of any.

Have you called EWTN? They may have audio bibles available. I got quite a few hits by Googling “catholic audio bible”. Check it out.
 
Librivox.org has several free audio readings of pretty much all the books of the Bible. I don’t know that they’re dramatized. Search their catalog for “Bible”, and pick out the 9 recordings from “Douay-Rheims”.

If you’re looking for “full cast audio” dramatizations, you’ll probably have to wait until Zondervan puts out their Old Testament - Catholic dramatization later this year.

You may also be able to find old radio shows or the like, but I don’t know about that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top