Need ladies' input

  • Thread starter Thread starter MarcoPolo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan Daly your message has been remarkably consistent throughout this thread, so rather than replying to 10 or more posts, I will simply ask you about the core points.
  1. If women are not meant to work or ever leave the home (and the authority of a father or husband) then why bother educating then at all?
They don’t need an education to work outside the home, and they don’t need to be able to make informed decisions because there will always be a man around to handle the hard choices (assuming we accept your premise). So according to your logic isn’t educating girls just a waste of time and money?
Men and women must both be educated because one of our reasons for life is to KNOW God. Furthermore, if you think being a housewife, isn’t something that requires some knowhow on a wide variety of subjects, you are mistaken. I haven’t advocated “dumb” women at all in this thread. I think there is a strong argument to be made that attending college doesn’t make anyone, male or female “smarter”. More knowledgable in certain areas to be sure, but not more intelligent.
  1. How can women be equal in any meaningful (earthly) way if they have no power in the home, church, or society (if women are not allowed to pursue positions of power or influence in business, politics, or the church, and cannot be leaders at home)?
Because that is exactly what you have been advocating in this thread.
That women stay home under the authority of a man, and make no attempt to seek fame and fortune (or change the world at large for the better).
I have not advocated woman having no power in the home, church, or society. If you want to talk about power to change the world, the power of a mother in rearing her children is about as powerful as a person can be.
  1. Do you really think a woman should always ask her husband’s or father’s permission to leave the house?
    That a woman’s movements, decisions, options, and focus should always be controlled by a male authority figure?
I think if a husband or father tells his wife/daughter that she may not leave the house, she is required to obey unless the order is a sinful one.
  1. Do you have any idea of how women are treated in parts of the world where people still live according to the principals you have advocated in this thread?
The principals I have advocated are Christian love. It couples “wives submit to your husbands” with “husbands love your wives as Christ loved the Church”. In what part of the world, do husband love their wives so much they are all ready to lay down their lives for them? I’m not aware of one society that does so as a general rule. I do know several families where the husband and wife honestly strive to meet this command. The women and men are both treated well.

Pax.
 
Catholic90:

I think Dan will come back on and explain to you that you were supose to sit idly by while the men in the family took care of you. 😉
Another suggestion that I have never made. Again, the opposite of what I have said. I’ve advocated men and women and children working together as a family.

The comments coming from folks opposed to my view are illustrative. On one hand, you say that if a woman does want to stay home and submit to the leadership of her husband, that’s her choice. But on the other hand, there is the repeated suggestion that any woman who does so is a lazy idiot. There’s nothing further from the truth.

Pax.
 
For Dan Daly…

Just a qualifier before I ask this…I mean no disrespect with the following question. I don’t agree with your views, but I won’t attack them, either. I am sincerely interested in your thoughts.

Where do young women meet potential suitors to possibly wed? There’s church, of course. Outside of that, I would think having girls homeschooled and doing all post-education work solely at home would greatly reduce their chances of meeting men to marry.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top