Need some Catholics opinions

  • Thread starter Thread starter LiLitalia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow: I am overcome with emotion to the replys I’ve received. I expected more than one negative post. I certainly didn’t expect all very positive and encouraging replys. Thank you!

Starting this Good Friday, I will attend mass with my kids and hold my head up. If I get snears from some of the congregation that know my personal situation, I will try not to let it get to me.

To play my own devil’s advocate (pardon the pun), I can see the point that some people make about embracing my “type” of family and how by doing that, we are encouraging that sort of family and losing the “traditional” family unit. If they embrace all sinners…whether it be myself having children out of wed lock, prostitutes, murderers, etc., isn’t that saying: “Go ahead and sin, your always welcome here”

AND are there worse sins than others? Where am I on that scale? Is homosexuality worse? Are murderers worse? Are adulterers worse?
Grave sin is grave sin and they all leave you Fallen from Grace.

Go schedule an appointment with a priest now, you know it is the first step.
 
I just want to thank everyone for their prayers and advice. It really has been a tremendous help.

I need to find the right parish. The one I am affiliated with right now has not been a smooth integration. Right off the bat, when I called to get my daughter baptized, the nun I talked to to was very scarcastic to me when I mentioned I wasn’t married. Her tone totally changed after she found that out. AND then when I told her I wanted my brother to be godfather, but he belonged to a Pantecostal church, she was less than inviting. I never did get her baptized after that telephone call.

Thanks again!
So long as it is a Catholic Church it is the right church. Only a priest can act in persona of Christ and forgive your sins. Do not humor Protestant churches for they lack the Sacraments you most Need.
 
I just want to thank everyone for their prayers and advice. It really has been a tremendous help.

I need to find the right parish. The one I am affiliated with right now has not been a smooth integration. Right off the bat, when I called to get my daughter baptized, the nun I talked to to was very scarcastic to me when I mentioned I wasn’t married. Her tone totally changed after she found that out. AND then when I told her I wanted my brother to be godfather, but he belonged to a Pantecostal church, she was less than inviting. I never did get her baptized after that telephone call.

Thanks again!
I’m sorry she seemed so sarcastic to you. I certainly hope that she didn’t mean to be that way. Give her the benefit of a doubt. We all have our bad days, even the religious brothers and sisters do.

I personally find it hard to accept that any protestant could be a Godfather. Remember that a Godparent is supposed to help raise your child as a good Catholic in the Church. 🙂 I honestly wish that I had such a person in my life while I was growing up. But hey, things happen for a reason.

I can empathize with your feelings of dread and unworthiness. When I was coming home to the Church I often had those same feelings. Honestly, there were times that I seemed to live only in that kind of state of mine. You must reconcile yourself with the Lord God. All of those feelings go away if you are sincere in your efforts to come home. The shame will be replaced with such an incredible love, a God given love. Remember the saying, (paraphrased) “She that is forgiven much, loves much.” That applies most especially to you and to me.

God is not willing for you to be apart from Him, no matter what you have done. He will respect your free will, your freedom to choose to be separated from Him. You chose this path. Only God can repair the damage you have done to yourself and to others. He awaits your free choice to come home to Him. I dare say that He awaits you eagerly!

Go buy a Catechism of the Catholic Church. Nearly every book store has one. They have smaller paperback ones that are not so expensive. Read the section on Love. It is one of the very first things I ever read about the Church and about God nearly ten years ago. Read about Grace. We have lived long enough without either love or grace, haven’t we?

If you want to know God, you must study Him. Read about Him. Listen to recorded lectures about Him. Make sure to seek out solid Catholic teachers such as Dr. Hahn, Fr. Corapi, Fr. Groeschel, Fr. Pacwa, Mother Angelica, etc. etc.

Fr. Corapi <–click

Dr. Scott Hahn

Fr. Groeschel<–clicky

Fr. Pacwa<–clicky

Mother Angelica<–clicky

EWTN<–clicky

Be wary of protestant teachers. They aren’t truly held accountable to anyone in this life. There is no sure way to verify what they do or say without comparing their interpretations to the light of Church teachings in the Magisterium, Sacred Tradition, and Holy Scripture. Don’t get me wrong, I sincerely believe that most of them mean well. They just aren’t aware of what has truly been undone in their churches over the centuries since the reformation. It is so much easier to just find someone that is already teaching in union with the Church.

My personal recommendation is to buy Fr. Corapi’s CD/dvd series, “The Teachings of Jesus Christ.” It is really awesome. He goes line by line through the Catechism. Absolutely incredible! Fr. Groeschel and Mother Angelica are exceptional as well. You can feel the charity in their words. They are certainly two very loving souls. Fr. Pacwa is a brilliant Priest, Theologian, and Teacher. He has a knack for bringing really sophisticated concepts down to my level. I appreciate that, really. Dr. Scott Hahn also has this ability. To be truthful, he is the one that had the most impact on me. He is just beyond brilliant. Don’t tell him I said that, though. Wouldn’t want him to get a big head, now would we?! Ha!

Anywho, I hope that some of this helps you.

God Bless!
 
LiLitalia, I think I know where you’re coming from. Everyone sins and, theoretically, everyone should feel welcome in the Catholic Church. But in real life, that isn’t always true. I had to leave my small rural parish because the other parishioners decided I didn’t measure up to their standards…I was shunned and made to feel MOST unwelcome, and couldn’t worship under those conditions. :mad:

It is easy for people who are welcome and accepted at the parishes to imagine that others are treated the same way, but that is not always the case. In your case, it would probably be easier to find a parish where you aren’t known, even if you have to drive a distance. It’s very difficult to nourish a fragile faith in a hostile environment. 😦

Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in having less than pleasant experiences with the Church – but that it’s worth perservering and making the effort to remain in the Church and receive the Sacraments. 👍
 
Hi Lilitalia
There are none so worthy of God’s love then those who think they are unworthy, because he told us that blessed are the poor in spirit. Jesus came for us all there were no exceptions. Please do not let small minded selfrighteous people stop you being a member of the church community, pray for them as we are all at different parts of our journey and it dosent end until the last day. Cheers May God bless and you are certianly welcomed.
 
:signofcross:The Catholic Church accepts all! Never feel ashamed! We’re all sinners!
 
LiLitalia, I admire single mothers. Not because I admire sex outside of marriage or that I admire divorce; but rather because I admire the courage and strength it takes for a person to raise children and make ends meet all by themselves, all while they have to deal with judgmental people condemning them for their situation.
I always have my kids best interest at heart…always…
It sounds like you are closer to God than many (dare I say most?) religious married couples.
 
Wow: I am overcome with emotion to the replys I’ve received. I expected more than one negative post. I certainly didn’t expect all very positive and encouraging replys. Thank you!

Starting this Good Friday, I will attend mass with my kids and hold my head up. If I get snears from some of the congregation that know my personal situation, I will try not to let it get to me.

To play my own devil’s advocate (pardon the pun), I can see the point that some people make about embracing my “type” of family and how by doing that, we are encouraging that sort of family and losing the “traditional” family unit. If they embrace all sinners…whether it be myself having children out of wed lock, prostitutes, murderers, etc., isn’t that saying: “Go ahead and sin, your always welcome here”

AND are there worse sins than others? Where am I on that scale? Is homosexuality worse? Are murderers worse? Are adulterers worse?
I am glad to hear that you decided to attend mass with your children 🙂 This is the best thing that you could do for you and for them. 👍

I can tell you that at my church a lot of families are not what would be considered like “traditional” family units but I never heard anything bad being said about them 🤷 Hopefully it will be the same at yours 🙂 It would be very hypocritical from other people to judge when when we are all sinners.
 
As a matter of policy, godfathers DO have to be practicing Catholics. They are responsible for guiding your child in the practice of the CATHOLIC faith. It would be tough or impossible for a non-Catholic godparent to do so. I think you will find that to be the case no matter which parish you turn to.

To have one Catholic & one non-Catholic GP is allowed - but whether it is prudent, is another matter. The point is, that it is not forbidden, and, - to look at it positively - at least one of them has to be a Catholic. I don’t think it is desirable, if it can be avoided, for exactly the reason you mention. 🙂​

This should help (the document quoted is very thorough, so it’s anything but short):

IV

COMMUNION IN LIFE AND SPIRITUAL ACTIVITY AMONG THE BAPTIZED

A. THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM

92
…

98. It is the Catholic understanding that godparents, in a liturgical and canonical sense, should themselves be members of the Church or ecclesial Community in which the baptism is being celebrated. They do not merely undertake a responsibility for the Christian education of the person being baptized (or confirmed) as a relation or friend; they are also there as representatives of a community of faith, standing as guarantees of the candidate’s faith and desire for ecclesial communion.

a) However, based on the common baptism and because of ties of blood or friendship, a baptized person who belongs to another ecclesial Community may be admitted as a witness to the baptism, but only together with a Catholic godparent.107 A Catholic may do the same for a person being baptized in another ecclesial Community.

b) Because of the close communion between the Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Churches, it is permissible for a just cause for an Eastern faithful to act as godparent; together with a Catholic godparent, at the baptism of a Catholic infant or adult, so long as there is provision for the Catholic education of the person being baptized, and it is clear that the godparent is a suitable one.

A Catholic is not forbidden to stand as godparent in an Eastern Orthodox Church, if he/she is so invited. In this case, the duty of providing for the Christian education binds in the first place the godparent who belongs to the Church in which the child is baptized.108

For more, go to:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top