Need to lose 20 lbs

  • Thread starter Thread starter Miriam_Adelaide
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advice it difficult to give because I don’t know your particular circumstances. If you have not idea of how, what, and when to eat (which unfortunately includes an incredible amount of people), a program like Weight Watchers is the way to go. You’ll learn about how to change you eating habits to eat properly for the rest of your life.

Exercise is also important. Start off slow, otherwise you’ll quickly become disappointed. Don’t go out an buy a P90X or Insanity video; that a quick way to discourage yourself. Start off with some walking and light exercise and go from there. In my own case, I work out at night, simply because I like to speed up my metabolism at a time when it naturally slows down…works well for me.
 
Advice it difficult to give because I don’t know your particular circumstances. If you have not idea of how, what, and when to eat (which unfortunately includes an incredible amount of people), a program like Weight Watchers is the way to go. You’ll learn about how to change you eating habits to eat properly for the rest of your life.

Exercise is also important. Start off slow, otherwise you’ll quickly become disappointed. Don’t go out an buy a P90X or Insanity video; that a quick way to discourage yourself. Start off with some walking and light exercise and go from there. In my own case, I work out at night, simply because I like to speed up my metabolism at a time when it naturally slows down…works well for me.
I asked around about the insanity and the P90. When you watch it and look into what they have you do you can get discouraged easily because of the whole “quick fix” kind of message they give. I would only recommend insanity to people who play sports and who are almost constant athletes.
 
I agree with this. At the very least, buy stuff YOU don’t like. Example: Hubby likes Cheetos. I do not. Hubby likes peanut M&Ms. I don’t. Hubby likes Blue Bell Happy Tracks ice cream. Not me. None of those treats tempt me in the least, so I don’t mind buying them. The rest of the stuff I’ve been indulging in is slowly being depleted now that our sons are both in college and not here all the time. I am not going on any more Halloween, Valentine, or Easter candy runs. If it’s not in the house, I won’t eat it. If it’s here, and it’s something I like, you bet I will have some.
Yes, no more junk food in the house - no one in my family misses it now after only a few months and everyone’s healthier because it’s just not available. Be very wary of quick fix schemes, Sensa is a chemical to fool your brain you are full (not even tested on humans), fad diets, diet bars, drinks, etc. Simple rule: Track your calories, exercise and make a healthy lifestyle choice for yourself!
 
I asked around about the insanity and the P90. When you watch it and look into what they have you do you can get discouraged easily because of the whole “quick fix” kind of message they give. I would only recommend insanity to people who play sports and who are almost constant athletes.
I was doing the P90X routine earlier this year until I blew make back out (not related to P90X). It’s great and it works, but the person undertaking that routine either has to be in half-way decent shape, or have incredible drive.

FWIW, I’m currently doing my own exercise routine to lose more weight and build up stamina. It’s simple…just do five sets of, say, a fixed amount of running, jumping jacks, sit-ups, and pushups, or any other exercise combo. Increase the reps each week. If done regularly, in a few weeks it will give someone enough stamina to at least get through one of those more difficult workout routines mentioned earlier.
 
Great feedback from everyone! Miriam, best to you. Keep us posted!! Maybe one of those tickers on your signature may help. :hug1:
Thanks! I know, there’s lots of good info coming in. I will have to figure out how to add the ticker. I think that’s a good idea. Hubby has agreed to keep sugar out of the house, so now I just need to start a workout program. 🙂
 
So, I need to lose 20 lbs, maybe even 25. I’m pretty upset with myself, I’m actually quite surprised how much this is affecting my self esteem. I got maried almost a year ago and have gained 15 lbs (well, gained 6 then lost it then gained some more). It is definitely affecting hubby and his attraction toward me too. He has confided in me that he is concerned I might end up like an older sister who is about 60 lbs overweight. She, however is still very attractive and carries her weight very well. I on the other hand look SO much better lean and even a little extra weight makes my face and body look pudgy and out of proportion. 😦
I have been down this road before, several times losing and gaining 5,10,15 lbs over the years. Not sure what I am looking for, writing in this forum…maybe some encouragement or even some prayers? I do believe that I may be sinning, not taking care of the body God gave me, for my own dignity and for hubby’s happiness.
Anyone been like this and overcome their weight issues? When I think about the effort and committment needed to tackle this I really struggle with believing I can do it (AND THEN MAINTAIN THE WEIGHTLOSS…FOREVER!). I feel like such a baby, like I need someone to hold my hand through the process because I can’t do it on my own! I know, that is so pathetic! :eek:
I’m sorry for your struggles, I understand how much it matters to feel confident in your own body!

You should look up ‘The Joshi Diet’, it’s actually not a diet but a detox plan. It looks so boring but it’s only about ridding your body of toxins and becoming healthy. The rules are strict and I have done it many times losing weight and feeling better than ever! Some people actually are able to stick to the detox meals for months!

My one warning is to trust it, at first the food will taste so boring but aftr 3/4 days you palate changes and you’re able to really appreciate the flavors!
 
I was doing the P90X routine earlier this year until I blew make back out (not related to P90X). It’s great and it works, but the person undertaking that routine either has to be in half-way decent shape, or have incredible drive. .
I have heard that from several other people as well. My DH bought a copy a few months ago but its just been sitting. 😛

Has anyone ever done the Tracy Anderson Metamorphosis program? It is a program for women, one hour a day 5-6 days a week that targets the smaller accesory muscles to get more of the long, lean affect, rather than the big thigh muscular look some women get from overworking the larger muscles.
 
Has anyone ever done the Tracy Anderson Metamorphosis program? It is a program for women, one hour a day 5-6 days a week that targets the smaller accesory muscles to get more of the long, lean affect, rather than the big thigh muscular look some women get from overworking the larger muscles.
I’d be very wary of any fad exercise regime that goes against well established approaches to weight loss and muscle tone. I’d be just as wary of fad exercise regimes as I would fad diets.

Very few women will bulk up via resistance training. The female body and hormonal system is simply not geared for it. This should not be a concern for women beginning any exercise regime.

You cannot target fat in different areas of your body. Fat loss is simply about transferring the potential energy (fat) into kinetic energy (activity). People may store fat in different areas of their body and fat will come off some areas faster than others, but you cannot target any areas. eg you cannot target belly fat through situps or other abdominal exercises.

You cannot change your DNA, as Tracy Anderson suggests. This absurd claim alone should make anyone run a mile.

The larger the muscle, the more energy you can use in exercising it. If you target large muscle groups, you can use a greater amount of energy, thus reducing fat. If you target smaller “accessory” muscles, you will use less energy and have less fat reduction.

The other benefit of targeting large muscle groups through compound resistance training (squats, pullups, dips, pushups, etc…assisted as needed) is that the strength gain is functional. The strength carries over into real life. You’ll be less injury prone in general, and strengthening your core in particular will help prevent back injury, which is all too common. Also, resistance training is great for bone health, which is very important for women in particular.

Also consider whether you want an exercise regime for home, or one that you need to travel for. I have never been able to motivate myself sufficiently to exercise at home, so going to the gym for me is important discipline. Be honest with yourself about how realistic a home program will be for you.
 
I’d be very wary of any fad exercise regime that goes against well established approaches to weight loss and muscle tone. I’d be just as wary of fad exercise regimes as I would fad diets.

Very few women will bulk up via resistance training. The female body and hormonal system is simply not geared for it. This should not be a concern for women beginning any exercise regime.

You cannot target fat in different areas of your body. Fat loss is simply about transferring the potential energy (fat) into kinetic energy (activity). People may store fat in different areas of their body and fat will come off some areas faster than others, but you cannot target any areas. eg you cannot target belly fat through situps or other abdominal exercises.

You cannot change your DNA, as Tracy Anderson suggests. This absurd claim alone should make anyone run a mile.

The larger the muscle, the more energy you can use in exercising it. If you target large muscle groups, you can use a greater amount of energy, thus reducing fat. If you target smaller “accessory” muscles, you will use less energy and have less fat reduction.

The other benefit of targeting large muscle groups through compound resistance training (squats, pullups, dips, pushups, etc…assisted as needed) is that the strength gain is functional. The strength carries over into real life. You’ll be less injury prone in general, and strengthening your core in particular will help prevent back injury, which is all too common. Also, resistance training is great for bone health, which is very important for women in particular.

Also consider whether you want an exercise regime for home, or one that you need to travel for. I have never been able to motivate myself sufficiently to exercise at home, so going to the gym for me is important discipline. Be honest with yourself about how realistic a home program will be for you.
I’d have to agree.

Use things that are tried and tested. I think its best to workout all your muscles to maintain a balanced physique. Sure you’ll gain a little muscle from strength training and such but nothing to worry about. I think its best to keep it simple. Look at training programs that are tried and tested. Jogging, sprinting, bodyweight strength excersises(push ups, pull ups, dips, squats, lunges, crunches, handstands, etc…), barbell training, dumbell training, stretching. Hit all your muscles, be patient and don’t go beyond what you can do, use good form, and give your self time to rest. 3 times a week is good enough for most people just looked to get into decent shape.
 
You cannot target fat in different areas of your body. Fat loss is simply about transferring the potential energy (fat) into kinetic energy (activity). People may store fat in different areas of their body and fat will come off some areas faster than others, but you cannot target any areas. eg you cannot target belly fat through situps or other abdominal exercises.
However, working out a particular area can make a big difference in toning that area. Doing a hardcore situp routine for, say, a week will make a noticeable difference in that area. Even my spouse notices when I do this, and that’s without even losing weight. Same with triceps and pushups.
 
However, working out a particular area can make a big difference in toning that area. Doing a hardcore situp routine for, say, a week will make a noticeable difference in that area. Even my spouse notices when I do this, and that’s without even losing weight. Same with triceps and pushups.
Absolutely.

But we are talking about two different things here: muscle and fat. They are separate and need to be thought of as such. Working out a particular muscle or muscle group can tone up that area…which basically means strengthening the muscle, which involves muscle growth…but muscle “tone” is really muscle growth minus body fat. So, for example, if you grow your ab muscles but don’t shift fat, you can actually increase your tummy size!

People who want to lose weight around their middle should strengthen their core…but shifting the fat is simply about expending overall energy. Situps etc don’t shift abdominal fat…they strengthen abdominal muscles. That’s what I was trying to point out.
 
Losing weight is all about calories in versus calories out. I ate less and burned more calories and I lost 40 pounds over 2-3 months. to burn a pound a week the discrepancy must be at least 500 calories, cut out soda and junk food, that should count for a bit, also drop fast foods and fried foods.

Then just increase exercising and you’ll lose those pounds. If you want a more aggressive path take up hiking, hiking 20 miles burns half a pound (YMMV) and can be done in less than a day, also doing it often is better.

Or instead of lots of exercise you can do tai chi which burns calories, improves balance, improves cardio function and can slow mental decline associated with aging, it is also very low impact and people of almost any physical condition can do it.
 
I just came across this yesterday - through FlyLady. His plan seems sensible, and although he calls his exercise sessions “Boot Camp,” it doesn’t seem to be that intense, training-for-special-forces kind of boot camp. He speaks about getting rid of negative thinking, which is one of my biggest problems.

No Excuses Work Outs

Although he is pretty jacked, I think he stresses to take it easy and set PERSONAL goals, such as doing 10 out of the normal 15 push ups at first.

Seriously thinking of joining, although I have never had a personal trainer and wouldn’t think I’d enjoy it.
 
Honey, honey.

It’s called “Medifast.” Stick to it for two months – 20+ pounds be GONE.

I needed to lose 32 pounds to get to my ideal weight, and I did it in one summer. Sure, Medifast food is kinda bland and you’ll need to supplement your vitamins, but it’s EFFECTIVE stuff, no kidding. If you start gaining a little weight afterwards, just cut carbs until you get back to your ideal weight.

That said, you NEED to exercise. I found sports that I love (martial arts, tai chi) and practice every week without fail. But if you’re not an athlete, here’s how to get moving: mix together a 1 hour to 1 hour & 30 min. playlist of your favorite up-tempo music. Christian rock, classic jazz, 80’s rock, ethereal electronica, Gilbert & Sullivan operettas, European death metal, whatever. Download it to your MP3 player.

Whenever you have a spare hour, put on your walking shoes and your headphones and go for a nice brisk trot, as fast or as slow as you like. Key is, just MOVE for at least one hour, every day. You don’t have to run, just race-walk fast enough to break a sweat, and keep it up for an hour. The music will keep you going.
 
Hi Miriam, just wanted to mention that all kinds of pop are really terrible for your bones - especially as a woman you can end up with osteoporosis (brittle bones). As well as soda helping you gain weight and ruin your teeth it is just so dangerous for long term health if you drink it frequently. My dh is a doctor and he is very big on this. If possible wean yourself completely off soda there is absolutely nothing nutritional in it - it’s just carbonated sugar-water.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top