T
the_phoenix
Guest
Dear IanCorrigan:
First off, let me join the others who have welcomed you here in appreciation of the polite manner of this discourse.
Having started reading this thread last night and continued this evening and read your most recent post … Paganism strikes me as quite utilitarian.
For instance, what struck me last night was how you made comments to the effect that “the gods seem to be happy with modern day sacrifices of bread and ale, poetry and song, silver and gold.” (Please note that while I’ve used quotation marks, I am paraphrasing rather than quoting directly, and feel welcome to correct any miscommunication.)
And what strikes me tonight is … Well, count up the number of times the word “work” or “works” appears in the post wherein you reply to cocot.
I’m not at all talking about the term “work” in the sense of the debate on whether we are saved by faith or works … that is a topic for another thread.
Rather, it seems to me that paganism involves man seeing how he can best use “the gods” in order to get blessings or a feeling of “contact with the divine” out of them, along with “the gods” using men in order to get worship out of them.
Does love figure into the pagan worldview? If so, how?
The Triune God Whom I worship, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, is Love. He loves me perfectly, I being human love Him imperfectly, trusting that He can make up the difference where I am lacking.
~~ the phoenix
First off, let me join the others who have welcomed you here in appreciation of the polite manner of this discourse.
Having started reading this thread last night and continued this evening and read your most recent post … Paganism strikes me as quite utilitarian.
For instance, what struck me last night was how you made comments to the effect that “the gods seem to be happy with modern day sacrifices of bread and ale, poetry and song, silver and gold.” (Please note that while I’ve used quotation marks, I am paraphrasing rather than quoting directly, and feel welcome to correct any miscommunication.)
And what strikes me tonight is … Well, count up the number of times the word “work” or “works” appears in the post wherein you reply to cocot.
I’m not at all talking about the term “work” in the sense of the debate on whether we are saved by faith or works … that is a topic for another thread.
Rather, it seems to me that paganism involves man seeing how he can best use “the gods” in order to get blessings or a feeling of “contact with the divine” out of them, along with “the gods” using men in order to get worship out of them.
Does love figure into the pagan worldview? If so, how?
The Triune God Whom I worship, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, is Love. He loves me perfectly, I being human love Him imperfectly, trusting that He can make up the difference where I am lacking.
~~ the phoenix