Netflix and material cooperation in evil

• Thread starter Thread starter Marinakeer
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Internet access is arguably a necessity, Netflix is not

Last edited:
You’re most likely not endangering your soul or relationship with Christ for subscribing to Netflix. Your level of cooperation is material at best, and even that is stretching it. Some people may decide to adopt a more radical approach and remove everything with even the slightest stain of sin, but those individuals are invariably fighting a losing battle.

Your primary concern should be consulting a Priest (and perhaps a Therapist)–that can help you navigate your troubled disposition.

My family - which is not exactly a family of modernists, progressives, and hippies who choose in the morning which commandments they want to follow in the afternoon - has never even raised the question.

For me yours is a scruple. Maybe I’m wrong, so let it serve as compensation for those who say it is a grave sin.

I’m kidding, I know morality is not democratic.

Let’s hope that I’m not the only one who wants to play down and that now someone doesn’t scold me severely. The staff is thinking of a new badge for me: the one that has received the most fraternal corrections 😉 😉

At this point, it seems like a “proportionate reason” simply to force yourself not to think in the way that you are thinking about your responsibility to “avoid evil.” I can guarantee you that your small contribution is not in itself causing or even allowing or occasioning anything seriously sinful.

Maybe consider not renewing a subscription in the future, when you aren’t, as you say, “freaking out.”

Whether you subscribe to Netflix or HBO or other service is your own personal moral choice. A lot depends on what you will be watching on them, why you are subscribed, whether you can afford it, and whether it is an occasion of sin for you.

Additionally, if you feel that Netflix or HBO or other service is promoting immorality, then you can choose to not subscribe based on that.

Other people may make different choices based on their own situation.

The Church does not have a blanket rule like “all Catholics must not subscribe to Netflix”. You need to develop your own conscience and decide.

Every corporation in the United States in one way or another provides donations to causes that are not in line with Catholicism. To avoid them would mean to live completely off the grid, not pay taxes, not use any phone or internet service, no gas, oil, electricity (because even solar panels are made by companies).

I have Netflix. It is my entertainment budget for the month. I select what I watch. When I watch a show, it provides ratings for that show. That “votes” for more of that type of programming.

I have up Netflix too for their pro-choice stand, I explained my reasons as well. I know that it means nothing to them, but I refuse to give them my money. I have HBO now and another provider.

Hmmm and I just renewed today. Will read up and cancel then. I have other providers.

well, there’s only one show I really want to watch on HBO Max anyway, so I guess I’ll just use the free trial and watch it all then! Problem solved 😂

what about working at companies such as Netflix? Or companies like HBO that partner with Planned Parenthood? (given that you’re not doing any immoral work there)

We’ve had a great many threads already about people who work for some business that has a morally neutral product in general, but might occasionally support PP or other group that doesn’t follow Catholic teaching.

The general rule is, if both the business overall and your specific job are not directly working to further the goals of PP or other immoral project/ organization, then it’s considered okay to work there. For example:

Working for PP directly as an employee of PP = sinful for a Catholic

Working for another organization that directly helps PP with its mission (example, you work for some company that manufactures equipment used primarily to perform abortions and you sell the equipment to PP as a major customer) = probably sinful for a Catholic

Working for a company that makes and sells ice cream, but matches employee donations to PP along with also matching donations for about 100 other charities that have nothing to do with abortions = probably not sinful for a Catholic

Last edited:
I joined to watch The Crown (if my memory does not fail me), they don’t have it:joy:😂😂😂.

Whether you subscribe to Netflix or HBO or other service is your own personal moral choice. A lot depends on what you will be watching on them, why you are subscribed, whether you can afford it, and whether it is an occasion of sin for you.

Additionally, if you feel that Netflix or HBO or other service is promoting immorality, then you can choose to not subscribe based on that.

Other people may make different choices based on their own situation.

The Church does not have a blanket rule like “all Catholics must not subscribe to Netflix”. You need to develop your own conscience and decide.
For almost twenty years, we did not have cable and we lived about as “off the grid” with regard to video entertainment, as it was possible to live. Finally I was forced by family circumstances to capitulate and have cable installed. For the same reasons, we subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, and Disney Plus — it’s not my idea, it’s their idea. If it were just me, I’d have it all taken out. I would have Amazon Prime regardless, not for the TV shows and movies, but for the free shipping on Amazon goods, which over the course of a year, more than pays for itself. Having a vast library of video available for free, or a nominal PPV charge, is just icing on the cake. We also have Roku, which I absolutely love, because it provides a vast selection of eclectic programming for free, as well as international programming and local news from throughout the US (NewsOn).

No. Honestly use something else than Netflix, like Hulu or AmazonPrime. Netflix Originals are just filled with left wing propaganda, it’s unreal. Yesterday I wanted to watch a documentary about video games and their history. At first it started out normal and then it just started to talk about homosexuals and transgender people. My 2 cents

I have Netflix. It is my entertainment budget for the month. I select what I watch. When I watch a show, it provides ratings for that show. That “votes” for more of that type of programming.
Same here. Netflix to me is a big library of media and I choose what I want. And hopefully influence their content in a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back