Newsom signs long gun rationing bill into 'law'. Lawsuit ensues

Status
Not open for further replies.
48.png
Motherwit:
Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care
The issue is, HOW is that BEST provided?

By wasteful Government bureaucracies that piddle-away much of that funding that could go to help?

Or is their a better way without labeling the citizens as beasts (“Oh. They CAN’T take care of the poor. They are just citizens. They NEED Government to take over!”)?
Which utopia are you referring to in which there is no need for government?

I was concerned someone would minimize people’s efforts taking care of the sick. (There are good people. We are not beasts.)

Lay people including nuns and also clergy have given their lives helping people who are sick. St. Damien pray for us and all of the sick.

When I suggested there are more efficient ways of taking care of the needy than more Government programs this was the response I got . . . .
Which utopia are you referring to . . .
And there ya have it.
no need for government?
To the readers here. This equivocating of course is a straw man.

I am not going to address it. No time for that sort of thing.

Last edited:
Anything that impacts the common good is necessarily moderated by the authority elected to guard the common good.
No it’s not.

We don’t check in with the state while shopping regarding purchasing soda pop because we might put on weight.

The individuals have their own responsibilities.

I was concerned someone would minimize people’s efforts taking care of the sick. (There are good people. We are not beasts.)

Lay people including nuns and also clergy have given their lives helping people who are sick. St. Damien pray for us and all of the sick.

When I suggested there are more efficient ways of taking care of the needy than more Government programs this was the response I got . . . .
I quit paid work when I started having my kids 30 years ago and since then I’ve only ever worked in the field of charity. Now if you truly believe that nuns and priests and holy charitable people can sort the sick and poor on your own without the government, you must have experienced some utopia? It’s the Nirvana Fallacy.

Last edited:
48.png
Motherwit:
Anything that impacts the common good is necessarily moderated by the authority elected to guard the common good.
No it’s not.

We don’t check in with the state while shopping regarding purchasing soda pop because we might put on weight.

The individuals have their own responsibilities.
What exactly are you advocating? No government intervention at all? How will we have any impact on our goal of banning abortion?

Last edited:
Remember the armed school officer who was afraid to go into Stoneman Parkland HS and save children? While unarmed “coach” inside gave his life trying (coach’s guns were at home as teachers concealing then was against the law? I was made fun of here when I suggested they should be and told of wanton death that would result. Now of course Florida DOES have armed teachers.)

Cop who didn’t enter school during Florida shooting resigns, has home guarded . . .​

48.png
Deputy assigned to Florida school 'never went in' during shooting, sheriff says World News
This shooting in Florida has been a failure of Government all around. Not citizens. The more that comes out, the more issues noted with . . . not law abiding citizens but . . . Government. The answer of gun-grabbers? Blame good honest law-abiding gun-owners, the NRA, and bloat Government giving Government EVEN MORE power over citizens. It’s the same formula every time. Politicize deaths. Use any tragedy for political change and political “gain”, and expand Government. We already have som…
Put your trust in Government some will say.

And this guy was not the only one . . . .

Police say more deputies waited outside school during Stoneman Douglas shooting​

48.png
Police say more deputies waited outside school during Stoneman Douglas shooting World News
From the (Deerfield Beach) Florida Sun Sentinel Newspaper . . . Police say more deputies waited outside school during Stoneman Douglas shooting . February 23, 2018 . Instead of rushing in, several Broward sheriff’s deputies waited outside Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School while a killer gunned down schoolchildren, according to other officers on the scene. . The Sheriff’s Office is investigating the claims from Coral Springs cops, Sheriff Scott Israel told the South Florida Sun Sentine…
Another Stoneman HS “protector” was catching some zzz’s on the job when this was going on . . . .

Stoneman Douglas students arrested for knives, deputy suspended for sleeping on job​

48.png
Stoneman Douglas students arrested for knives, deputy suspended for sleeping on job World News
Stoneman Douglas students arrested for knives, deputy suspended for sleeping on job . By Nicole Darrah | Fox News . Two Marjory Stoneman Douglas students were arrested for knives, another student made online threats and a Broward County sheriff’s deputy was suspended Tuesday at the Parkland, Florida, high school where 17 people were killed just over a month ago. . . . . . . . . Meanwhile, Broward County Sheriff’s Deputy Moises Carotti was spotted sleeping in his car on Tuesday while he wa…
Or other Government employees faking our police . . . .

Teacher Allegedly Plants Ammo at School, Calls 911​

48.png
WATCH: Teacher Allegedly Plants Ammo at School, Calls 911 World News
Another False Flag to manipulate other people. This looks a lot like a microcosm of the Obama Administration during the Obama Administration Operation Fast and Furious scandal when they were illegally passively proverbially “dropping” guns into not just the hallway, but the community and eventually Mexico, to allow fallout from that to occur (under the pretext of catching criminals). (They did the same thing out of Florida too–“Operation Castaway”.) When it was exposed, the Obama Administ…
1/2 . . .

2/2 . . .

Or police shooting a good guy . . .

Los Angeles Gamer Arrested After Police ‘Swatting’ Death​

48.png
Los Angeles Gamer Arrested After Police ‘Swatting’ Death World News
Los Angeles Gamer Arrested After Police ‘Swatting’ Death . CHRISS W. STREET 31 DEC 2017 Newport Beach, CA Breitbart News Service . Police arrested a Los Angeles man on Friday after he made a revenge prank call — a “swatting” — to police in Kansas about a potential hostage incident that resulted in the police killing an innocent man. . Tyler Barriss, 25, was arrested in South Los Angeles on Dec. 29 on suspicion of making a hoax 911 call to Wichita, Kansa to claim that Andrew Finch, 28, …
Or Government politically-correct programs resulting in hiring an officer that should never have been hired. An officer who kills an unarmed woman for no apparent reason. . . .

Minneapolis Woman Shot by Police For No Apparent Reason​

48.png
Minneapolis woman shot by police for no apparent reason World News
cnn.com/2017/07/17/us/minneapolis-woman-killed-by-police/index.html While none of the public knows what happened in this particular case yet, I am taking this occasion to assert that generally the police are more trigger-happy than they used to be, and to ask why that is so. Actually I have a theory, but I want to hear other suggestions first.
These are some of the people you are supposed to surrender your rights to, to be taken care of by them.

Or putting our trust in people who carry out dangerous abuses of power . . . .

Police got search warrant for everyone who Googled Edina resident’s name​

48.png
Police got search warrant for everyone who Googled Edina resident's name World News
Here is yet another problem with Government sequestering all the electronic information of its citizens, and keeping all of your Google searches. (And does Google need to keep such information on you too?) If you were to do a Google search on the wrong name, YOU could be subject to a police warrant, despite Government NOT having “probable cause” other than your name turning up in a proverbial “fishing expedition”. Even if you are innocent, being subject to an investigation from the Government…

Or police against police with politician’s blessing . . . .

Anarchy Breaks Out in Portland, With the Mayor’s Blessing

A vicious mob targeted the ICE office and even a food cart. The police followed orders to do nothing.
48.png
Anarchy Breaks Out in Portland, With the Mayor’s Blessing World News
Anarchy Breaks Out in Portland, With the Mayor’s Blessing A vicious mob targeted the ICE office and even a food cart. The police followed orders to do nothing. Along the trolley tracks behind the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement field office, a biohazard cleanup crew works under police protection. It finds used needles and buckets of human waste simmering in nearly 100-degree heat. The smell of urine and feces fills the block. For more than five weeks, as many as 200 people had occup…
Trust in these guys right?

I just put up a story last February about how people were buying guns because they sensed unrest and the police would be unable or unwilling to protect them.

I was soundly made fun of. Someone put up a FB post of a Texas (?Houston?) Sheriff asking criminals to stay home because of COVID.

I was told how crime went down (for a couple weeks into corona mania) and the media reassured everybody all would be well with regards to crime.

I wasn’t even defending the citizen gun-buyers. Just reporting it.
(But that was enough to trigger some at least into criticizing me over merely reporting it.)

That was before “The Summer of Love”.

Look. If people want to depend entirely upon Government to save them in a situation that may immediately require force, let them choose to do so.

Some people want to be wards of the state too.

This country was set up recognizing that people have rights in this area and those rights do not emanate from a group of people in power this week or that week.

Last edited:
You will never successfully argue for the government banning abortion if you don’t give the government credit for having any teeth of authority to do it. You have to be consistent to have any credible argument.

Last edited:
You will never successfully argue for the government banning abortion if you don’t give the government credit for having any teeth of authority to do it.
Good grief.

Another straw man argument.

As is this . . .
No government intervention at all?
These straw-men are so self-evident, I won’t even try to respond further here.

Last edited:
48.png
Motherwit:
You will never successfully argue for the government banning abortion if you don’t give the government credit for having any teeth of authority to do it.
Good grief.

Another straw man argument.

This is so self-evident, I won’t even try to respond further here.
I think that’s for the best because on one day in one argument you dismiss people arguing from emotion but on another day in another argument you use emotion and outrage arguments to make a case. Your debate style is not rooted in any universal principles.

why does one need a flamethrower

to melt the snow, of course

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Now if you truly believe that nuns and priests and holy charitable people can sort the sick and poor on your own without the government, you must have experienced some utopia?
we see what the government does with the vets, enough said.

I was in a VA hospital when a doctor told a medical student, “if we were in private practice we would run more test”.

if you are a vet using the VA, know that everything you say is written in the system from their perspective. the good thing is that you can read it, but good luck changing wrong diagnosis.

48.png
Motherwit:
Now if you truly believe that nuns and priests and holy charitable people can sort the sick and poor on your own without the government, you must have experienced some utopia?
we see what the government does with the vets, enough said.

I was in a VA hospital when a doctor told a medical student, “if we were in private practice we would run more test”.

if you are a vet using the VA, know that everything you say is written in the system from their perspective. the good thing is that you can read it, but good luck changing wrong diagnosis.
Can I ask why you didn’t go to a private practice?

Citizens have a natural God-given right to adequately defend themselves.
No. The words “adequately defend themselves” appears nowhere in the Catechism. Certainly it says nothing about the right to carry a gun.
Not “live by the sword” but defend themselves (which is WHY Jesus tells His Apostles to purchase a sword before they go out into the world to share the Gospel.)
He does not tell them to purchase a gun.
ALL countries see that inherent right for them to own guns.

ALL of them. As I said, even the Vatican.
I doubt that even the Vatican says that their right to own guns comes from God.
Leaf’s response to ALL COUNTRIES (including the Vatican) seeing an inherent right to own firearms at least for THEMSELVES?

They are ALL WRONG,
No, you misquote them. These countries do not claim the right to own guns as inherent from God. They simply recognize that at present, there is no reason not to.

Leaf’s response to ALL COUNTRIES (including the Vatican) seeing an inherent right to own firearms at least for THEMSELVES?

They are ALL WRONG,
and LeafByNiggle IS RIGHT!
That isn’t true at all. AT ALL. Only 3 countries in the world even consider owning a gun a constitutional right. The US, Mexico and Guatemala. The majority of countries forbid owning a gun specifically for self defense. For the majority, guns are limited to the military and law enforcement. For certified security officers. And for farmers, hunters and sportsmen. All of whom have to be trained, certified and have renewable licences.

So the majority of countries consider guns as an excessive measure for self defense outside of wartime events.

My criteria is entirely based on the teachings of my faith. If a right (like carrying guns) is not mentioned, it is not a God-given right. If it is mentioned as a right, then it is.
That’s fine. By the way, your right to religious free exercise does not include placing limits on my rights. That’s the great thing about rights. If you think you shouldn’t own a firearm and I think I should, we agree to exercise our rights.
You don’t tell me I can’t own an AR-15, and I don’t tell you what religious faith you should have.
We end up with trouble when one person tells the other they can’t have their rights.

241361_2.png
LeafByNiggle:
My criteria is entirely based on the teachings of my faith. If a right (like carrying guns) is not mentioned, it is not a God-given right. If it is mentioned as a right, then it is.
That’s fine. By the way, your right to religious free exercise does not include placing limits on my rights. That’s the great thing about rights. If you think you shouldn’t own a firearm and I think I should, we agree to exercise our rights.
You don’t tell me I can’t own an AR-15, and I don’t tell you what religious faith you should have.
We end up with trouble when one person tells the other they can’t have their rights.
that’s not the definition of an inherent right.

It’s actually the opposite of the divine right of kings which is a belief that an elite/elect are intrinsically authorized to dictate laws outside the process of the common good.
Actually, that’s exactly the result of large central government, a destruction of not only individual rights, but also the common good.
This is one such example of how a universal objective right can be realized and be in line with Catholic teaching. From the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
Rights, by definition, are not declared by governments. Rights are not provided by governments because governments have no means of their own to provide them. The only means governments have comes from the confiscation of the wealth and labor of individuals via taxation.
The right to healthcare is not granted by nor provided by government. Instead government controlled healthcare turns the right into a privilege that can be just as easily denied for a plethora of reasons, not the least of which being political. As an example, the CDC recommending the distribution of the vaccine on the basis of race, instead of by vulnerability.
In short, government cannot be trusted with the healthcare of the populace on a regular basis.
Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care
I agree. However, no one has the right to someone else’s wealth and labor in order to acquire it. If someone is forced by government to pay for my healthcare, it becomes a privilege, the the person forced to pay for it a servant/slave.
Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special care and assistance. All children, whether born in or out of wedlock, shall enjoy the same social protection.
And yet those who propose government dictated healthcare are intentionally aligned with those in favor of abortion.

Last edited:
241361_2.png
LeafByNiggle:
That’s fine. By the way, your right to religious free exercise does not include placing limits on my rights.
Under certain conditions, it does - specifically if what you call a right is not actually a God-given right and if the means by which I place those limits is in conjunction with others in society through the agency of a legitimate authority - i.e. a government. Let me give you an example. You may think that you have the right to build a garage anywhere on your property that you wish. However, if I and a sufficient number of others in the community can convince the local building standards authority to prohibit building a garage less than 3 feet from your property line, I can do that. It is both legal and ethical. Passing gun control legislation is the same thing. It is not a God-given right and therefore it can ethically be limited through action by a legitimate authority.
48.png
Motherwit:
It’s actually the opposite of the divine right of kings which is a belief that an elite/elect are intrinsically authorized to dictate laws outside the process of the common good.
Actually, that’s exactly the result of large central government, a destruction of not only individual rights, but also the common good.
It can be the result, but it does not have to be. It is possible - even common - for a largish central government to enhance the common good rather than destroy it.

Also the notion of a “central” government is relative. Compared to State government, the Federal government is the central government. With respect to county and city government, the state government is central. With respect a neighborhood association, the city government is central.

I can think of at least one example where the federal government was more in line with the common good than a state government. If you remember your history, you can think of it too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back