Newsweek apologises for getting story wrong

  • Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
gilliam:
The 1991 war was about oil. The Liberation of Iraq has never been about oil. The US never figured to win oil reserves by liberating Iraq. You really need to read the history. I would highly recommend you start with Woodward’s Plan of Attack.
I thought the 1991 was about liberation of Kuwait and the fact that there were tanks on the Saudi border ready to attack (which turned out to be bogus).

You don’t go to a country that has one of the world’s biggest oil reserves and claim you “never figured” you’d win any of it. Kind of like going to a seaside resort for vacation and never figuring you would see the ocean.
 
40.png
wabrams:
I thought the 1991 was about liberation of Kuwait and the fact that there were tanks on the Saudi border ready to attack (which turned out to be bogus).
We don’t know the taks were bogus. That is a theory based upon some civilian sattallite photos of certain areas. Not based upon better equipment.

In 1991 Saddam was planning on taking as much of the world’s oil reserves as he could. Kuwait was a 1st step. He told his generals this, don’t know why you don’t believe him.
You don’t go to a country that has one of the world’s biggest oil reserves and claim you “never figured” you’d win any of it. Kind of like going to a seaside resort for vacation and never figuring you would see the ocean.
Well, your simply wrong here. I would suggest you read the history. The plan from day 1 was to have a free and democratic Iraq control the oil. They could sell to whomever they wished to. The focus was on getting Saddam out of power for the protection of the US. The only focus on oil, was to try to make sure the world’s oil market was not too seriously impacted by any distruction of oil wells.
 
40.png
gilliam:
Well, your simply wrong here. I would suggest you read the history. The plan from day 1 was to have a free and democratic Iraq control the oil. They could sell to whomever they wished to. The focus was on getting Saddam out of power for the protection of the US. The only focus on oil, was to try to make sure the world’s oil market was not too seriously impacted by any distruction of oil wells.
There are so many versions of this history that it just boggles the mind and I believe very few of them, especially those spewed by the far-left and the far-right.

Since you brought it up, how was Saddam a threat to the US?
 
40.png
wabrams:
Just rememeber, if Fox News or Newsmax first broke the story then back tracked, no one here would have a problem.
Are you saying that Catholics like myself think an erroneous news story that incites a riot in which numerous people die is OK if Fox or Newsmax did it and came out with the weak apology like Newsweek? Do you think that our Catholic belief is that shallow?

I would kindly ask that consider what value this post adds to the discussion.
 
40.png
wabrams:
Just rememeber, if Fox News or Newsmax first broke the story then back tracked, no one here would have a problem.
I will speak for myself. I would hold any news outlet responsible for the damage done.
 
40.png
shockerfan:
Are you saying that Catholics like myself think an erroneous news story that incites a riot in which numerous people die is OK if Fox or Newsmax did it and came out with the weak apology like Newsweek? Do you think that our Catholic belief is that shallow?

I would kindly ask that consider what value this post adds to the discussion.
I NEVER said it had anything to do with Catholics, just a trend I see lately of everything in the news, with the exception of Fox, is the evil empire.

I will kindly ask you to not bring religion into this and trying to pick a fight with it.
 
40.png
Fitz:
I will speak for myself. I would hold any news outlet responsible for the damage done.
I completely agree with you, I’m the same way. Apologizing isn’t the silver bullet to make everything right, but it is a good start. Especially since you rarely see it anymore from anyone or anything in the public eye.
 
40.png
gilliam:
The 1991 war was about oil. The Liberation of Iraq has never been about oil. The US never figured to win oil reserves by liberating Iraq. You really need to read the history. I would highly recommend you start with Woodward’s Plan of Attack.
…i know that if you tell yourself something long enough you can make yourself believe anything… ask any native american, ask any jew…
 
space ghost:
… this war is about oil…
This war is about people who believe that the USA and all of it’s people are infidels.

These fundamentalist Muslim extremists want you, your family, and your neighbors, and everyone you know to be dead!

If you don’t get this, you have been nursed by all of the left who deeply hate America and assume that we have “only brought things on ourselves”.

Saddam’s death camps are closed. The rape rooms are empty. Democracy is breaking out in a land that it has never known.

Oil…good grief!!!
 
40.png
jburgherr:
This war is about people who believe that the USA and all of it’s people are infidels.
Actually, they believe everyone but themselves are infidels. That includes Shiite muslems and Sunnis who don’t subscribe to their sect.
These fundamentalist Muslim extremists want you, your family, and your neighbors, and everyone you know to be dead!

If you don’t get this, you have been nursed by all of the left who deeply hate America and assume that we have “only brought things on ourselves”.

Saddam’s death camps are closed. The rape rooms are empty. Democracy is breaking out in a land that it has never known.

Oil…good grief!!!
Yep! 🙂
 
White House Wants Retraction From Newsweek

In an apology to readers this week, Newsweek acknowledged errors in a story alleging U.S. interrogators at Guantanamo Bay desecrated the Quran. The accusations, which the magazine vowed to re-examine, spawned protests in Afghanistan that left 15 dead and scores injured.

Responding to harsh criticism from Muslim leaders worldwide, the Pentagon promised to investigate the charges and pinned the deadly clashes on Newsweek for what it described as “irresponsible” reporting.

“We regret that we got any part of our story wrong, and extend our sympathies to victims of the violence and to the U.S. soldiers caught in its midst,” Editor Mark Whitaker wrote in the apology.

The White House said Monday that Newsweek’s response was insufficient.

“It’s puzzling. While Newsweek now acknowledges that they got the facts wrong, they refuse to retract the story,” said presidential spokesman Scott McClellan. "I think there’s a certain journalistic standard that should be met. In this instance it was not.

“This was a report based on a single anonymous source that could not substantiate the allegation that was made,” McClellan added. “The report has had serious consequences. People have lost their lives. The image of the United States abroad has been damaged. I just find it puzzling.”

In its issue dated May 9, Newsweek had reported that U.S. military investigators had found evidence that interrogators placed copies of Islam’s holy book in washrooms and had flushed one down the toilet to get inmates to talk. Whitaker wrote that the magazine’s information came from “a knowledgeable U.S. government source,” and writers Michael Isikoff and John Barry had sought comment from two Defense Department officials. One declined to respond, and the other challenged another part of the story but did not dispute the Quran charge, Whitaker said.

(Excerpt) Read more at apnews.myway.com …
 
Fisrt it was Rathergate, now it is Izzygate. Looks like the MSM is contributing to their own demise.

PF
 
The sad thing is that even if the story is retracted, there is no doubt in my mind that the Muslim fanatics will presume it was simply pressure by the government and that the story was true.

I heard the ONLY similar story documented was that a prisoner used pages of the Koran to try to stop a toilet as a protest. This is exactly the kind of thing that happens in prisons all the time. But when the truth isn’t as interesting or provacative as a story that will make the Bush government look bad, it simply gets buried.

You can’t put a genie back in a bottle. The damage is done. Now what can be done about Newsweek? Is there ANY kind of punishment or censure that is available? I think Izzy should be sent to Afghanistan to make a personal apology to the Muslims for lying about this story. Then let THEM decide his punishment.

Lisa N
 
It’s a matter of what “documented” means.

"The allegations of religious desecration at Guantanamo published by Newsweek on May 9, 2005, are common among ex-prisoners and have been widely reported outside the United States. Several former detainees at the Guantanamo and Bagram prisons have reported instances of their handlers sitting or standing on the Koran, throwing or kicking it in toilets, and urinating on it. Prior to the Newsweek article, the New York Times reported a Guantanamo insider asserting that the commander of the facility was compelled by prisoner protests to address the problem and issue an apology.

One such incident (during which the Koran was allegedly thrown in a pile and stepped on) prompted a hunger strike among Guantanamo detainees in March 2002. Regarding this, the New York Times in a May 1, 2005, article interviewed a former detainee, Nasser Nijer Naser al-Mutairi, who said the protest ended with a senior officer delivering an apology to the entire camp. And the Times reports: “A former interrogator at Guantanamo, in an interview with the Times, confirmed the accounts of the hunger strikes, including the public expression of regret over the treatment of the Korans.” (Neil A. Lewis and Eric Schmitt, “Inquiry Finds Abuses at Guantanamo Bay,” New York Times, May 1, 2005.)

The hunger strike and apology story is also confirmed by another former detainee, Shafiq Rasul, interviewed by the UK Guardian in 2003 (James Meek, “The People the Law Forgot,” Dec. 3, 2003). It was also confirmed by former prisoner Jamal al-Harith in an interview with the Daily Mirror (Rosa Prince and Gary Jones, “My Hell in Camp X-Ray,” Daily Mirror, March 12, 2004).

The toilet incident was reported in the Washington Post in a 2003 interview with a former detainee from Afghanistan:

Desecration of the Koran was also mentioned by former Guantanamo detainee Abdul Rahim Muslim Dost and reported by the BBC in early May 2005. (Haroon Rashid, “Ex-Inmates Share Guantanamo Ordeal,” May 2, 2005.)
 
40.png
wabrams:
I NEVER said it had anything to do with Catholics, just a trend I see lately of everything in the news, with the exception of Fox, is the evil empire.

I will kindly ask you to not bring religion into this and trying to pick a fight with it.
Perhaps I misunderstood the point of your original post. People who post here are typically Catholic like myself (since this is a religious-based website), and it seemed to me that you were implying that this Newsweek fiasco would not be an issue (on this website) if Fox were the guilty party. Not trying to pick a fight, but If that were the case, the post seemed offensive. If that is not the case, then I apologize for being a little short.
 
40.png
shockerfan:
Perhaps I misunderstood the point of your original post. People who post here are typically Catholic like myself (since this is a religious-based website), and it seemed to me that you were implying that this Newsweek fiasco would not be an issue (on this website) if Fox were the guilty party. Not trying to pick a fight, but If that were the case, the post seemed offensive. If that is not the case, then I apologize for being a little short.
I can see where you are coming from, but this is how I look at it: the news thread discussions are are pretty much devoid of religious conversation (i.e. how does this fit in with Catholicism?, etc. ). What I was implying was there seems to be this ferocious idea that anything that comes from Newsmax or Fox News is basically infallible. All others are controlled by those looney liberals.
 
40.png
wabrams:
I can see where you are coming from, but this is how I look at it: the news thread discussions are are pretty much devoid of religious conversation (i.e. how does this fit in with Catholicism?, etc. ). .
IMHO: We should try to tie them into our faith.
 
40.png
gilliam:
IMHO: We should try to tie them into our faith.
the only time I see this done, the religious poster gets flamed and everyone tells them they are misinterprenting the Cathocism (sp?) or they are labeled liberal nuts.
 
40.png
wabrams:
the only time I see this done, the religious poster gets flamed and everyone tells them they are misinterprenting the Cathocism (sp?) or they are labeled liberal nuts.
Well, it is a start anyway 😉

Again, we should tie the discussions into our faith if at all possible. Myself included.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top