Newsweek apologises for getting story wrong

  • Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
gilliam:
Well, it is a start anyway 😉

Again, we should tie the discussions into our faith if at all possible. Myself included.
I agree. It’s so hard to sometimes, because the religious glasses we see through can vary from person to person. Even though the Church is here to help us, I still think a lot of it is personal. Listen to me, acting like I’m apart of the Church already! I guess I’m a little more excited about taking RCIA classes and converting than I thought!
 
40.png
wabrams:
I can see where you are coming from, but this is how I look at it: the news thread discussions are are pretty much devoid of religious conversation (i.e. how does this fit in with Catholicism?, etc. ). What I was implying was there seems to be this ferocious idea that anything that comes from Newsmax or Fox News is basically infallible. All others are controlled by those looney liberals.
OK wabrams, find a case of a glaring and intentional error by Fox or Newsmax that resulted in the deaths of sixteen people that was ignored by the people at CAF? As I recall during the Terri Schiavo execution, people here were pretty hard on Fox, particularly Shepherd Smith. I assure you I participated in the evisceration of Mr Smith for his ignorant remarks although I generally do watch Fox news.

I think the issue is that many of the alphbet soup channels and Chicken Noodle News insult the intelligence of many viewers. They no longer have the kind of credibility they did when I was growing up with the Huntley Brinkley report. IOW the sacred cows have been slaughtered. But I truly believe if you had a similar story perpetuted by a Fox News correspondent, you would not find everyone here defending them.

Lisa N
 
Lisa N:
OK wabrams, find a case of a glaring and intentional error by Fox or Newsmax that resulted in the deaths of sixteen people that was ignored by the people at CAF? As I recall during the Terri Schiavo execution, people here were pretty hard on Fox, particularly Shepherd Smith. I assure you I participated in the evisceration of Mr Smith for his ignorant remarks although I generally do watch Fox news.
When did Fox report anything out of the middle east that wasn’t completely pro-Bush?
Lisa N:
I think the issue is that many of the alphbet soup channels and Chicken Noodle News insult the intelligence of many viewers. They no longer have the kind of credibility they did when I was growing up with the Huntley Brinkley report. IOW the sacred cows have been slaughtered. But I truly believe if you had a similar story perpetuted by a Fox News correspondent, you would not find everyone here defending them.

Lisa N
I think the problem is not necessarily the channels, but a good bit of the viewers. Some cling to anything that makes Bush look bad, some think the news should only report the news that is 110% Pro-American. There really isn’t a balance anymore. Bunch of guards go nuts at Abu Gharib and it gets reported in the news: how dare those anti-American commies or look at what Bush did! No middle ground, no indifference. It seems like a lot of blaming of the MSM comes from those who don’t want to hear the negative or from those that cling only to the negative. Or even worse, those who don’t want to believe the news only reports what sells (heck, it’s been like that since at least 1898).

BTW, CNN was more pro-Bush and pro-GOP during the RNC then any other news network.
 
40.png
wabrams:
It seems like a lot of blaming of the MSM comes from those who don’t want to hear the negative or from those that cling only to the negative.
I tend to want the truth and not something someone wishes was the truth. Which is what Newsweek reported.

.
Or even worse, those who don’t want to believe the news only reports what sells (heck, it’s been like that since at least 1898)…
I don’t know a time in American Journalism where this wasn’t the truth… I think you can go way back to Franklin’s press.
 
40.png
wabrams:
When did Fox report anything out of the middle east that wasn’t completely pro-Bush?.
I prefer to think what they report is accurate. Again, tell me what you have heard on Fox News that was proven to be totally bogus?

Also I am very critical of Fox because they have too much entertainment “news” and IMO it’s a waste of time. If I wanted to know about Ben and Jen or American Idol I’d watch the “E” channel.

As far as their Iraq reporting, they seem to have people on the scene and their reports jibe with what I hear DIRECTLY from soldiers and from others who are there. I read other papers or watch other news and it’s completely distorted, spun or just plain wrong. A case in point was the recent Lebanese uprising. The MSM was almost gleeful when it seemed that Pro Syrian militants were trying to squelch the move to push the Syrian miliary out. I work with a Lebanese who has many family members in Lebanon and he said the “pro Syrians” were shills and not local citizens.
40.png
wabrams:
I think the problem is not necessarily the channels, but a good bit of the viewers. Some cling to anything that makes Bush look bad, some think the news should only report the news that is 110% Pro-American. There really isn’t a balance anymore. Bunch of guards go nuts at Abu Gharib and it gets reported in the news: how dare those anti-American commies or look at what Bush did! No middle ground, no indifference. It seems like a lot of blaming of the MSM comes from those who don’t want to hear the negative or from those that cling only to the negative. Or even worse, those who don’t want to believe the news only reports what sells (heck, it’s been like that since at least 1898).

BTW, CNN was more pro-Bush and pro-GOP during the RNC then any other news network.
Franky again I want the TRUTH, not something that is biased in either direction. I frankly do not think President Bush “did” the Abu Ghraib torture nor did he order it nor did he condone it. This is an example of leftist bias. The NYT had Abu Ghraib on the front page for 48 days. Why? To shame the Bush administration. Does anyone think this is a pervasive and systematic problem or is it an aberration? You know there are bad apples in any organization and it sounds like some illtrained, unsupervised kids got out of control Despicable yes but worthy of bringing down the President of the United States? Hardly.

Lisa N
 
Lisa N:
I prefer to think what they report is accurate. Again, tell me what you have heard on Fox News that was proven to be totally bogus?

Also I am very critical of Fox because they have too much entertainment “news” and IMO it’s a waste of time. If I wanted to know about Ben and Jen or American Idol I’d watch the “E” channel.

As far as their Iraq reporting, they seem to have people on the scene and their reports jibe with what I hear DIRECTLY from soldiers and from others who are there. I read other papers or watch other news and it’s completely distorted, spun or just plain wrong. A case in point was the recent Lebanese uprising. The MSM was almost gleeful when it seemed that Pro Syrian militants were trying to squelch the move to push the Syrian miliary out. I work with a Lebanese who has many family members in Lebanon and he said the “pro Syrians” were shills and not local citizens.
Probably a good chunk of wha they report in Iraq contradicts what I hear DIRECTLY from soldiers I know over there. The’ve told me they get a kick out of the stories about winning the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people and how they love us. They crack jokes about the reporters being taken to the PR friendly areas to paint a great picture. They tell me on the other hand the rest of them are doing whatever it takes to make it through their tour and could care less about the Iraqi’s.
Lisa N:
Franky again I want the TRUTH, not something that is biased in either direction. I frankly do not think President Bush “did” the Abu Ghraib torture nor did he order it nor did he condone it. This is an example of leftist bias. The NYT had Abu Ghraib on the front page for 48 days. Why? To shame the Bush administration. Does anyone think this is a pervasive and systematic problem or is it an aberration? You know there are bad apples in any organization and it sounds like some illtrained, unsupervised kids got out of control Despicable yes but worthy of bringing down the President of the United States? Hardly.

Lisa N
I think Bush probably knew about the prison abuse. Maybe not the details, but the fact soldiers were doing whatever they had to too extract information, even if it broke the Geneva COnventions.
 
Not clear from looking at their site. The question was about Fox’ “lies.” I wouldn’t necessarily say that they lie, but rather work as a mouthpiece of the government. Often that involves repeating their propaganda without critical examination.
 
40.png
Thekla:
Not clear from looking at their site. The question was about Fox’ “lies.” I wouldn’t necessarily say that they lie, but rather work as a mouthpiece of the government. Often that involves repeating their propaganda without critical examination.
I don’t think Fox works as a mouthpiece of the government. At least I have not seen any evidence of it (maybe you have some?). What I think is that Fox has an opinion of what they think “middle America” believes (family values, love of country, love of God, loyalty, honor, etc.) and they play to that audience. What others categorize as MSM (main stream media) is made up of people who think of themselves as “free thinkers” but all tend to think along certain patterns (skeptics, individual rights, suspicion of religion, suspicion of authority, suspicion of their moms and dad’s generation)

I also think that MSM feels guilty about what they believe and so want to surpress anyone who thinks differently then they do.
 
40.png
wabrams:
Probably a good chunk of wha they report in Iraq contradicts what I hear DIRECTLY from soldiers I know over there. The’ve told me they get a kick out of the stories about winning the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people and how they love us. They crack jokes about the reporters being taken to the PR friendly areas to paint a great picture. They tell me on the other hand the rest of them are doing whatever it takes to make it through their tour and could care less about the Iraqi’s. .
I’m not under the illusion that the Iraqis ‘love’ us. As one contractor said, they find us less irritating than Saddam but not the Great White Hope. I am talking about the effectiveness and the quality of our military. I watch the “Hitler” channel frequently and the carnage of past wars boggles the mind. Consider we’ve been a tiny minority in a huge, hostile country and have only lost l600 soldiers. We have a phenomenal military service and I respect what they are doing under foul conditions and for low pay. That some dumbcluck reporter would undermine them, put them in even more danger, disgusts me to no end. I grew up in the Vietnam era, and I get the impression you are much younger. I assure you the press lost that war and I don’t want to see it again. We lost FIFTY THOUSAND in Vietnam thanks to Walter Cronkite and his ilk.

THe one thing Fox News does emphasize is the quality of our military personnel, while other stations and reporters tend to treat them like a bunch of knuckle dragging losers. So I am not a Fox fan because they tell me what I want to hear but because the presentation is one that demonstrates respect for what might be called traditional values (you aren’t American right?) in this country.
40.png
wabrams:
I think Bush probably knew about the prison abuse. Maybe not the details, but the fact soldiers were doing whatever they had to too extract information, even if it broke the Geneva COnventions.
Given that the MILITARY broke this story, not Seymour Hirsch, I am sure President Bush was informed of the abuse. I do not think he condoned it or tried to cover it up. Further, only a dimwit thinks torture even works on prisoners. The people responsible for Abu Ghraib were ill trained, unsupervised and probably not using very good judgement. It was like “Animal House-The Iraq Adventure” rather than some kind of well organized plan from the Pentagon or the White House. A bunch of dumb kids doing dumb things with dreadful international repercussions.

Lisa N
 
Lisa N:
I assure you the press lost that war and I don’t want to see it again. We lost FIFTY THOUSAND in Vietnam thanks to Walter Cronkite and his ilk.
Lisa N
Lisa, this is what drives me now. I feel guilty for buying into what the media pushed back then. I was not a real protestor, but I did not understand what happened until years later. I really didn’t realize the power of the media until this war against terror. I will not fall prey to their liberal bias once again.
 
Once again we see: Bush Adminstration = good. Mainstream “liberal” (NOT!!) media = naughty. Nice to know that some things never change. :banghead:

Peace.
 
Although Newsweek is culpable for their sloppy, biased reporting the real sin is the mob that would kill innocent people over a report in this rag!!!
 
40.png
SHEMP:
Although Newsweek is culpable for their sloppy, biased reporting the real sin is the mob that would kill innocent people over a report in this rag!!!
Doesn’t matter what the mob did or didn’t do. Newsweek is guilty of underminding the troops during a time of war. They are constantly blaiming others, especially the administration, for being naive and not understanding world politics. The question I have for them is, “don’t you know there is a war going on?”

I guess we should consider the possibility that they did know what such a story would do on the world stage. And how much propaganda they were spewing forth. And did it anyway. That is a distinct possibility.
 
This story on the Aljazeera web site today, stirring up more bad feeling!

An Afghan ex-Guantanamo detainee confirmed on Tuesday that U.S. interrogators at the prison have repeatedly desecrated the Qur’an, which prompted a hunger strike and a U.S. apology.

In an interview on AVT Khyber television, Abdul Rahim said that abuse of the holy book was routine at Guantanamo Bay.

“Abuse of the Qur’an was done routinely particularly in the early days of detention,” Rahim said.

“They would throw the holy book on the ground, trample upon it and tell the prisoner under interrogation no one could stop them from doing that.

“The news of sacrilege sent shockwaves among the prisoners and all of us went on a hunger strike.

“We declined to participate in the interrogation and also did not eat anything for many days,” he said.

The hunger strike ended only after senior U.S. officials apologized for the desecration, Rahim added.

“All of us ended the hunger strike except for a Palestinian. It was due to our efforts and sacrifices that we restored the honour of the Qur’an,” he said.

Abdul Rahim’s statement comes after the Newsweek, the magazine that released a report saying that U.S. guards at Guantanamo abused the Qur’an, retracted its report.

In its May 9 edition, the magazine published a report describing the desecration of the Qur’an by Guantanamo interrogators, including throwing a copy of the holy book into a toilet to breaj the Muslim prisoners.

Rahim arrived back in Pakistan after he was released from Camp X-Ray last month.

He was arrested in Peshawar in 2001 and handed over to U.S. custody.

Rahim also said that Muslim detainees at Guantanamo were kept in cages like animals.

“The cages were made of steel and also the beds on which we used to sleep. At times we created lots of noise by thumping the steel cages that would disturb the Americans.”

aljazeera.com/me.asp?service_ID=8231
 
40.png
FightingFat:
This story on the Aljazeera web site today, stirring up more bad feeling!

An Afghan ex-Guantanamo detainee confirmed on Tuesday that U.S. interrogators at the prison have repeatedly desecrated the Qur’an, which prompted a hunger strike and a U.S. apology.

In an interview on AVT Khyber television, Abdul Rahim said that abuse of the holy book was routine at Guantanamo Bay.

“Abuse of the Qur’an was done routinely particularly in the early days of detention,” Rahim said.

“They would throw the holy book on the ground, trample upon it and tell the prisoner under interrogation no one could stop them from doing that.
This is very old news and resulted, as they report, in an official appology, and also in a set of guidelines given to all US prison guards (these guidelines are still in place). al-Jazeera knows that. Does al-Jazeera want to incite the enemy and help out with spreading enemy propaganda? Gee, I thought they wanted to be accepted as a legit news organization and not as a propaganda mouth piece?

I should point out that the Korans were given to the prisoners in the first place by the United States. We didn’t have to do that. Nor did we have to mark the position of Mecca at the prisons.

So another question to al-Jazeera is: “Why do you insist on trying to keep this story at a fever pitch? What is your motive? Do you want more people to die?”
 
NEWSWEEK meets 21st Century war: That’s the subject of Austin Bay’s latest column.

It was classic “media gotcha,” using the “Vietnam and Watergate” storyline of “United States bad, Third World good” – but the phony story led to riots, deaths and an embarrassing retraction.
I’m referring, of course, to Newsweek’s “Koran flushing” story, which ran in the magazine’s May 1 edition.

The sin of greed creeps into every scandal, and it lurks behind this tragic incident. Newsweek wants “market share,” and hot stories grab readers.

But profit generated by a frantic “me first” quest isn’t the only motive. The “Vietnam-Watergate” press template is also involved. “Vietnam-Watergate” is a tired and phony game, but for three decades it’s been the spine of the New York-Washington-Los Angeles media axis. Its rules are simple and cynical. Presume the U.S. government is lying – particularly when the president is a Republican. Presume the worst about the U.S. military – even when the president is a Democrat. Add multicultural icing – allegations by “Third World victims” are given revered status, while U.S. statements are met with arrogant contempt. (Yes, it’s the myth of the Noble Savage recast.)

Wake up. There’s a war going on – a global war. American lives and liberty are at stake, but Newsweek and its clan are still trying to “Get Nixon.”

Newsweek’s editors haven’t entered the 21st century. Anti-American propagandists – and that includes Al Qaeda – have used Gitmo and Abu Ghraib as emotional/political weapons. Responsible reporting must take that into account. News organizations will ultimately lose credibility if they fail to factor the Al Qaeda propaganda angle in their reports on Gitmo and Abu Ghraib.

Yes, this makes for a more complicated story, but we are engaged in an intricate, complex war on an intricate, complex planet.

There’s also an odd but apt comparison between Newsweek’s fiasco and the Pentagon’s initially slow response to Abu Ghraib. When evaluating Abu Ghraib allegations, Don Rumsfeld was operating with a 1970s’ “paper information template.” To Rumsfeld, “pictures” of Pfc. England with a dog leash meant snapshots on paper marked “Kodak.” Rumsfeld didn’t realize his young troops shoot digital photos that in 10 seconds “go global” on the Internet.

I suspect Newsweek’s bosses were operating on a “paper template,” the legacy of their own formative era, where their “print product” reached readers via the postman. In this “template,” a press allegation remains largely “local,” or U.S.-bound, and if it’s wrong it’s easily retracted (or covered up). Despite calling itself a “global news organization,” this “Koran flushing” article was clearly aimed at the U.S. domestic audience.

However, there is no “over there” in our world, not anymore. We live in a world where everyone is – in terms of information – next door.

Rumsfeld and Newsweek were both handling volatile allegations with a restricted view of the audience (a 1970s, U.S.-oriented template) and a poor appreciation of the allegations’ impact.

We have enemies looking for “operational opportunities” on a global scale. Al Qaeda has sympathizers who are cued to react to Western news reports that “insult Islam.” The “fifth-columnist” throws the first stone. If he can get a couple of bored teenage boys to throw a second and third stone, he’s done his job. Al Qaeda gets another “the Muslim street is angry” story and perhaps a bloodbath.

Is this a fanciful scenario? Indian military analyst Bahukutumbi Raman claimed the Afghan riot riots in the wake of the Newsweek phony story were incited by “well-organized agents of the Hizb ut-Tahrir terror gang.”

Welcome, Newsweek, to the 21st century – and 21st century war.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top