NFL cracks down on Super Bowl church parties

• Thread starter Thread starter ribozyme
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ribozyme

But this year, Immanuel’s Super Bowl party is no more. After a crackdown by the National Football League on big-screen Super Bowl gatherings by churches, the Springfield church has sacked its event. Instead, church members will host parties in their homes.
The league bans public exhibitions of its games on TV sets or screens larger than 55 inches because smaller sets limit the audience size. The section of federal copyright law giving the NFL protection over the content of its programming exempts sports bars, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said.
washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/31/AR2008013103958.html

This issue here comes down to $$$. 40 people watching on one screen only counts a 1, not 40. Thus, their precious viewer rates could go down.

What would that do? Ad rates would go down, thus less $$$.

Their rate just went down by 1 here. I might of watch a few minutes of the game. Not any more.

Someone get a list of advertisers so we can boycott them. :mad:

Am I the only man in America who has never watched a Superbowl? Any Superbowl?

Nothing against it, I guess—it’s just that I find football boring and tedious, akin to watching paint dry. I couldn’t even tell you who’s playing.

Nothing against it, I guess—it’s just that I find football boring and tedious, akin to watching paint dry. I couldn’t even tell you who’s playing.
No, you’re not.

If you want to go backpacking, bicycle riding, horseback riding, swimming, hunting, shooting, white-water canoing, scuba diving or sky diving, I’m your man – done them all.

But why on earth would I want to watch someone else playing a game?

No, you’re not.

If you want to go backpacking, bicycle riding, horseback riding, swimming, hunting, shooting, white-water canoing, scuba diving or sky diving, I’m your man – done them all.

What if you PERSONALLY knew one of the players on the teams? Would you watch it then? What if your child were competing at the Olympics, would you watch it then?

What if you PERSONALLY knew one of the players on the teams? Would you watch it then? What if your child were competing at the Olympics, would you watch it then?
How many of us personally know the players – well enough to want to watch them for that reason alone?

How many of us have chidren competing in the Olympics?

That’s kind of like asking if I would watch a play if I personally knew Shakespear, or if he were my son.😛

How many of us personally know the players – well enough to want to watch them for that reason alone?

That’s kind of like asking if I would watch a play if I personally knew Shakespear, or if he were my son.😛
Closest I came was a third or fourth cousin, but that was before my time. He was drafted in the First round by the 49ers in the early 50’s, but played in the Canadian Football League because of more money. He is in the CFL Hall of Fame.

Would I of watched him. Probably not. 🤷

Closest I came was a third or fourth cousin, but that was before my time. He was drafted in the First round by the 49ers in the early 50’s, but played in the Canadian Football League because of more money. He is in the CFL Hall of Fame.

Would I of watched him. Probably not. 🤷
I can just see it – “Come quick! Cousin Ostie’s on TV. Awwww, he fumbled!”😛

Last time I watched a superbowl from start to finish was 1985. I could care less about football or any sports. Too many movies to enjoy on my 120 inch movie projector screen

More like got sacked or threw an interception (he does/did holds the single game Grey Cup passing record)We didn’t ask you. Back to the clubhouse (or in your case, doghouse) with you. 😛 :mad:
Sorry, but it’s packed for the game. :mad:😛

It does happen. The last summer Olympics, one of the boxers was from our small (50,000 people) city. Many people knew him and watched the Olympics because of him.

Dustin Pedroia of the Boston Red Socks was born in and grew up in our city. Many people in the city knew him and watched the world series because he was in it.

The cafeteria of the our city’s older high school has numerous photographs, none of which are duplicates, of Olympians and professional athletes that have graduated from it over it’s 113 years.

I wonder how big the big screen in our Life Teen center is? They are having a Super Bowl party today.

Amen, I’m with you and another videophile on CAF with 120" projector HT.
Last time I watched a superbowl from start to finish was 1985. I could care less about football or any sports. Too many movies to enjoy on my 120 inch movie projector screen

Amen, I’m with you and another videophile on CAF with 120" projector HT.
I didn’t watch the superbowl today, but I’m I the only here who knows the meaning of the name you have choosen here?

Thank you!! And if the games themselves weren’t boring enough they interrupt with commercials all the time.
I get a kick out of fat slobs sitting in their recliners with their beer & chips yelling at the players for missing a pass or whatever.

This is what it is all about:
The NFL said, however, that the copyright law on its games is long-standing and the language read at the end of each game is well known: “This telecast is copyrighted by the NFL for the private use of our audience. Any other use of this telecast or any pictures, descriptions, or accounts of the game without the NFL’s consent is prohibited.”
If you notice, places like Safeway and Wal-Mart used “big game” or “game day” in their ads not, “Super Bowl.” If the church in question had changed the wording they still could have had their “Big Game Party” without any problems.

No, you’re not.

Why would anyone going to a ballet want to watch someone else dance?

Why would anyone going to a concert want to see someone else play music or sing?

Why would anyone going to a play want to watch someone else act?

It is possible to appreciate the skills and training of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back