NFP is supposed to be good for marriage?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Anniebananny
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anniebananny

Guest
Hi everybody, I’m new to the group. I am a 33-year-old mom of 3 beautiful kids. I’ve been married 5 years to my husband, whom I love dearly. We have an amazing life together, but right now we are facing one of our most challenging times yet.

First, a little background: Hubby and I have been open to life the past few years, and it shows, with 3 kids in 5 years. We’ve never had a real need to try to space our kids. Our third child was born while hubby was deployed for 10 months, and he never even met him until he was 6 months old. That was incredibly difficult, especially since we don’t live around family. I felt very lonely going through all of this without my husband, and thinking of all that he was missing. But we made it work, and even though I would have changed the timing of our son’s conception if I could, his arrival was a blessing and a joy in spite of the deployment.

Now, today, we have recently learned that my husband is deploying again in January – for either 6 months or a year, we have yet to find out. Our third child is is 13 months old now. We now have a reason to use NFP. We do not want to be having another baby while he is gone.

I got my first postpartum period only about 30 days ago. My son is still nursing a few times a day. So we are now on day 30 of this first cycle. I am charting using FertilityFriend, and I am a self-taught NFP-user. I learned from the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility. I am trying to apply the rules very conservatively, and because it has taken awhile to establish my BIP, this has involved a LOT of abstinence.

We sat down a couple nights ago and had an open, honest talk. He confessed to me that he feels “rejected” by me, and doesn’t think that a healthy marriage should have so much abstinence. I would agree. He feels like this is not a good way to spend the last few months before a possible year-long deployment. He resents the guilt that the Church is inflicting on us, with the requirement of no artificial birth control. (He’s a lifelong Catholic too, but was never taught the way I was that ABC is forbidden.)

I told him that it is hard for me too. I told him that sometimes I want to treat him like an “adversary” b/c he is not completely on board with NFP, and he also doesn’t share the same knowledge about it that I do from reading so much. Classes are not available where we live, even though I’ve been working on it. I want a face-to-face course, but will take the CCL’s long-distance course if we have to. I told him I know it’s wrong that I look at him like that, and almost feel like he’s trying to get me pregnant even though that’s not his intent.

Even if ABC was approved by the Church, I don’t even think I’d want to subject my body to it, but I am feeling pressured to even though he never actually said that I should. I feel so torn about it. We both know many people, both Catholic and otherwise, who use ABC. I personally find it impossible to believe that all of those good people are going to hell (especially the non-Catholics who have never been taught not to use it). But I told my husband that I don’t want to chance it for us. I sometimes feel like our faith is an unbearable burden, and that we’ve both been left to twist in the wind.

I also don’t feel it’s right that I hold all the keys to our love life. I am the one who knows all about NFP while he’s in the dark. I impose the rules because I’m the one who is still morally opposed to NFP, and although he agreed with me to practice NFP, he doesn’t really believe in it. I thought the Church also teaches that the man should be the leader of the family, but I am the one with the mysterious chart and the enforcer of rules that even I am beginning to question. Then there’s this deployment coming up. It’s all coming to a head.

I have no one to talk to about this. I’ve picked my mom’s brain about NFP, but I don’t want to share details about our marriage to her. I am glad to have a place where I can be anonymous, and I’m bracing myself for honest answers. Any advice would be appreciated.
 
Hi,

I don’t have any profound wisdom to share, but I can offer you some heartfelt sympathy. I am in a similar situation with my wife - she is a cradle Catholic who had little if any real catechesis, and doesn’t see anything wrong with using birth control. We also have three kids, and she doesn’t want to have any more.

One apparent misunderstanding I want to clear up right away - using NFP is not automatically going to make your marriage stronger (this point has come up on the forums before). Some overly eager advocates of NFP can convey this impression. It all depends on the attitude of the individuals involved. If both spouses are not “on board” it can actually create more stress on the marriage - as you seem to be learning. That may not be much comfort, but it is important not to approach things with false expectations.

Regarding: “doesn’t think that a healthy marriage should have so much abstinence”. Well, if Adam and Eve had never sinned, that would doubtless be true. However we live in a fallen world, and due to a variety of circumstances, married couples often have to abstain for prolonged periods of time. I am not for a moment denying how difficult it can be. But nobody ever promised us that following Christ would be easy. On the contrary, He told us to take up our crosses and follow Him. Again, it is crucial not to start with false expectations. We need to start with the understanding that our Christian walk is going to be hard and even painful at times. If that is our basic outlook on life then we can handle life’s challenges more easily, at least that is what I feel.

Another point: someday your children will be teenagers and will be exposed to the horrific sexual temptations of our culture. If you and your husband have fully mastered your own desires and learned to control them, you can be a better witness to the value of chastity for their sake. I think this was one of the points made by Janet Smith in her wonderful audio lecture “Contraception: Why Not?” Maybe I read it somewhere else… anyway I suggest you get a copy of the tape - several Catholic organizations distribute it either free or for a small fee - and have your husband listen to it. It is quite persuasive.

I am praying for you.
 
NFP is inforrmation. With it you can choose your behavior in order to achieve or avoid pregnancy. The aspects of NFP that are valuable tools in building a strong marriage are the communication components and the sacrificial nature of the decision to avoid.

Abstinence can be a blessing in a marriage. And abstinence can also be difficult in a marriage, especially when both partners are not on the same page.

Perhaps you should re-evaluate the seriousness of your need to avoid. Is is more serious than your need for marital intimacy before a long deployment? Only the two of you can answer that.
 
We both know many people, both Catholic and otherwise, who use ABC. I personally find it impossible to believe that all of those good people are going to hell (especially the non-Catholics who have never been taught not to use it).
Did anybody say that they were? I realize you are in a very painful situation and I don’t want to seem unsympathetic - but do ever make your moral decisions on this basis? Honestly? Think about it:

“Well, I know a lot of people cheat on their taxes, and I can’t believe they are all going to Hell, so…”

“Well, I know a lot of people drink/smoke/whatever, and I can’t believe they are all going to Hell, so…”

“Well, I know a lot of people don’t bother going to church, and I can’t believe they are all going to Hell, so…”

If you have read my earlier post, you know that I am not approaching this from a standpoint of lacking sympathy with you. It really can feel overwhelming, especially if you don’t have a close friend or family member to whom you can confide these things. But really you have to ask yourself: Who is first in my life - my spouse, or God? Whom do I care more about pleasing?

I guess I am trying to give you a little bit of “tough love”. If this approach is misplaced then I’m sorry. But it sounds like you need to firm up your own commitment before you can effectively win over your husband. I don’t think I can help you with the latter but I thought I might be a little help with the former.

I will add you to my daily rosary intentions. BTW I hope you have a good solid prayer life yourself. You really need God’s grace to get through this.
 
I also don’t feel it’s right that I hold all the keys to our love life. I am the one who knows all about NFP while he’s in the dark. I impose the rules because I’m the one who is still morally opposed to NFP, and although he agreed with me to practice NFP, he doesn’t really believe in it. I thought the Church also teaches that the man should be the leader of the family, but I am the one with the mysterious chart and the enforcer of rules that even I am beginning to question. Then there’s this deployment coming up. It’s all coming to a head.
I see this as one of the biggest problems with couples first starting and learning NFP. In order for it to build those strong marriages everyone talks about it has to be a partnership – just like every other aspect of the marriage.

I would recommend trying to get him to attend a class with you. Not only will it reinforce the methodologies you are already practicing – but hopefully bring him into it. It may also give him some other husbands to talk to and help understand the beauty of NFP and responsible parenthood. The Couple to Couple League is a great resource…
 
First try the Marquette Method- it’s easier and, I would say, more reliable.

Secondly, abstinence is hard, but you can get a lot of Grace from taking the harder road.

Third, get some help. Pay someone to come over while you’re there even just to take nap, do laundry. Are there supportive services for military families?

Life is not easy- that’'s just the way it is. Enjoy the good times. I assume as a member of the military your husband has a good character- ask him to use it.

Intimacy is achieved in many ways- write letters, call, make videos, dedicate a service project to him, raise your children well in his honor, make him laugh and most of all be a steadfast example of Holiness. Get that man to Heaven. 🙂
 
Thank you for the prayers and sympathy. I will look into “Contraception: Why Not?” even though I hesitate to make him read any books or listen to any CDs. He already tells me that I’m “becoming your mother.” My mom is a devout Catholic, and she pretty much beat it into my head about why I should never use contraception. I guess when my hubby first met me, and then met my mom, he didn’t see much resemblance. But a few years have gone by, I’ve had a few kids, become more interested in my faith, and suddenly it’s “ugh – you sound like your mother!” (sigh) But I’ll do it. He hates books so maybe he’ll listen to a CD.
Hi,

I don’t have any profound wisdom to share, but I can offer you some heartfelt sympathy. I am in a similar situation with my wife - she is a cradle Catholic who had little if any real catechesis, and doesn’t see anything wrong with using birth control. We also have three kids, and she doesn’t want to have any more.

One apparent misunderstanding I want to clear up right away - using NFP is not automatically going to make your marriage stronger (this point has come up on the forums before). Some overly eager advocates of NFP can convey this impression. It all depends on the attitude of the individuals involved. If both spouses are not “on board” it can actually create more stress on the marriage - as you seem to be learning. That may not be much comfort, but it is important not to approach things with false expectations.

Regarding: “doesn’t think that a healthy marriage should have so much abstinence”. Well, if Adam and Eve had never sinned, that would doubtless be true. However we live in a fallen world, and due to a variety of circumstances, married couples often have to abstain for prolonged periods of time. I am not for a moment denying how difficult it can be. But nobody ever promised us that following Christ would be easy. On the contrary, He told us to take up our crosses and follow Him. Again, it is crucial not to start with false expectations. We need to start with the understanding that our Christian walk is going to be hard and even painful at times. If that is our basic outlook on life then we can handle life’s challenges more easily, at least that is what I feel.

Another point: someday your children will be teenagers and will be exposed to the horrific sexual temptations of our culture. If you and your husband have fully mastered your own desires and learned to control them, you can be a better witness to the value of chastity for their sake. I think this was one of the points made by Janet Smith in her wonderful audio lecture “Contraception: Why Not?” Maybe I read it somewhere else… anyway I suggest you get a copy of the tape - several Catholic organizations distribute it either free or for a small fee - and have your husband listen to it. It is quite persuasive.

I am praying for you.
 
When I first read about the Marquette Method, I was so excited… until I read that I would need a $200 ClearBlue Easy Fertility Monitor, and need to buy test strips on a regular basis. Oh, and the testing protocol for breastfeeding is every other day. Yikes.

I did hire help from time to time while my husband was away last time, and it does help. Yes, there is support for military families, but it only takes you so far. Having good friends can help you through tough times, and luckily I do. None of these things come close to making up for my husband not being around, but they do help.

I did mention to him during our conversation that in one of my bible studies, we learned that our job as spouses is to help each other get to heaven. He doesn’t see the process of getting to heaven the same as I do. I don’t consider myself an expert, but I figure that if the Church tells us that something is absolutely forbidden, then doing it will guarantee we don’t get there. He sees getting to heaven as just a “doing the best you can” kind of thing. Man, I wish.
First try the Marquette Method- it’s easier and, I would say, more reliable.

Secondly, abstinence is hard, but you can get a lot of Grace from taking the harder road.

Third, get some help. Pay someone to come over while you’re there even just to take nap, do laundry. Are there supportive services for military families?

Life is not easy- that’'s just the way it is. Enjoy the good times. I assume as a member of the military your husband has a good character- ask him to use it.

Intimacy is achieved in many ways- write letters, call, make videos, dedicate a service project to him, raise your children well in his honor, make him laugh and most of all be a steadfast example of Holiness. Get that man to Heaven. 🙂
 
Have you looked on ebay, Amazon etc. for Clearblue easy strips?

I coupon…I have seen deals, and know if you coupon you can easily make that expense affordable. Plus, you’d save money in all other areas of your life.

I will look around for you.
 
I will look into “Contraception: Why Not?” even though I hesitate to make him read any books or listen to any CDs.
Use your judgement on that. Obviously you know your husband, and I don’t. Maybe he is not open to being persuaded. Maybe you can only rely on prayer at this point. He evidently is not flowing over with zeal for the Christian religion, if I can express it that way; which makes it really hard. In some ways it would be easier if you were married to a devout Evangelical Protestant. At least they are enthusiastic about following Jesus no matter the cost.
 
Thank you for your prayers.

I have also heard about the failure rate of ABC. I don’t think he knows about this.

We have talked about this time and time again. We have not prayed together, but we should try that. We both agree that this is not something we can risk for our family right now. Could we handle another pregnancy right now? Yes, we could. We would always find a way to welcome the new member of our family, and make it work. We did last time. I put a brave face on it but it was HARD. I cried so much just in the first few days after the baby being born, with him not being around to take care of me. Then, all kinds of other things happened while he was gone, unrelated to having a new baby – a hurricane, a hospitalization of another child, big maintenance problems with the house, a car accident. All these things are hard enough, and are things you can not anticipate. If we can have any influence at all over what hardships happen while he’s gone, then I want to use NFP to delay the arrival of a fourth child until we’re in a better place.

I’m so frustrated with him right now b/c even though we’ve talked about it time and time again, he would still rather take risks. He admits that he is being selfish about it, and that makes me feel bad because it shouldn’t be a selfish thing for a man to desire his wife. I wish he didn’t have to feel that way. This would all be so much easier if we BOTH believed in why the abstinence was necessary.
I will pray for you. Thank you so much for your families service to our country and our freedom. Clearly your husband and your entire family is making many huge sacrifices and I appreciate it very much, thank you.

Your situation is one of wanting to be close to one another as much as possible before he is deployed again. I can understand this! You love one another and are facing another long separation.

Artificial Birth Control has an awful failure rate. So if you choose to go this route you could end up pregnant anyway plus have gone against your conscience in the process.

Come together with your husband and pray about this…is getting pregnant again something you could both handle? Is it worth it for you both? Maybe you will decide that yes, being close is worth the risk of pregnancy. Prayer, prayer and more prayer I am so sorry for all your stress.
 
I really want us to take a class together. The CCL does not exist here in this “land the Church forgot” where we live. But I know that we can take the online course. I don’t know if he’s going to get as much out of it as we would being face to face with an instructor and other husbands.

He is willing to take a class. He has always been good about learning in classroom settings. He attended a breastfeeding class with me when I was pregnant with our first, and the support he gave me, with the knowledge that he had, was invaluable. When he understands and believes in something, he is such a great partner to me.

NFP seems almost like a dance, and if only one person knows it, they just drag the other person around and make them feel resentful.
I see this as one of the biggest problems with couples first starting and learning NFP. In order for it to build those strong marriages everyone talks about it has to be a partnership – just like every other aspect of the marriage.

I would recommend trying to get him to attend a class with you. Not only will it reinforce the methodologies you are already practicing – but hopefully bring him into it. It may also give him some other husbands to talk to and help understand the beauty of NFP and responsible parenthood. The Couple to Couple League is a great resource…
 
I have also heard about the failure rate of ABC. I don’t think he knows about this.
Then by all means you need to make him aware of it. Even if you don’t give him anything else to read, or any tapes or CDs to listen to. He needs to be aware that every birth control device ever invented can fail, most of them fail quite frequently. Not to mention the terrible things they do to your body. Did you know that women have DIED from the side effects of birth control pills? And there are other after-effects which are more common. I’m sure you can get all the details here on the forums.
 
Well, some we know use ABC, some we suspect. We know some strong Christian families who opt for sterilization when they’re done. But you’re right. None of this matters. That’s between them and God. We can’t make our own choices by looking at other people.

I agree my own commitment is wavering. It’s easy to do the right thing when it’s easy.

It’s funny how if we were in different circumstances – i.e., more comfortable ones with no deployment in sight – our differences in opinion would never come up, or else they wouldn’t matter. We’d keep having a baby every two years and just be blissfully ignorant of how differently we see things.

I will keep praying and hoping for grace to get us through this.
Did anybody say that they were? I realize you are in a very painful situation and I don’t want to seem unsympathetic - but do ever make your moral decisions on this basis? Honestly? Think about it:

“Well, I know a lot of people cheat on their taxes, and I can’t believe they are all going to Hell, so…”

“Well, I know a lot of people drink/smoke/whatever, and I can’t believe they are all going to Hell, so…”

“Well, I know a lot of people don’t bother going to church, and I can’t believe they are all going to Hell, so…”

If you have read my earlier post, you know that I am not approaching this from a standpoint of lacking sympathy with you. It really can feel overwhelming, especially if you don’t have a close friend or family member to whom you can confide these things. But really you have to ask yourself: Who is first in my life - my spouse, or God? Whom do I care more about pleasing?

I guess I am trying to give you a little bit of “tough love”. If this approach is misplaced then I’m sorry. But it sounds like you need to firm up your own commitment before you can effectively win over your husband. I don’t think I can help you with the latter but I thought I might be a little help with the former.

I will add you to my daily rosary intentions. BTW I hope you have a good solid prayer life yourself. You really need God’s grace to get through this.
 
I haven’t looked, and I am not the best at couponing. Thanks for looking for me.
Have you looked on ebay, Amazon etc. for Clearblue easy strips?

I coupon…I have seen deals, and know if you coupon you can easily make that expense affordable. Plus, you’d save money in all other areas of your life.

I will look around for you.
 
Well, some we know use ABC, some we suspect.
What I meant was - sorry for not being clear - did anybody say that they were going to Hell because of using birth control? Just trying to convey that it’s really beside the point.

Other than that I guess I got my point across. 🙂
 
We wife and I are ending our years of fertility, so this is a look back on almost 30 years of marriage…

We’ve used NFP to avoid and to achieve successfully for the last 22 or so years. Before that, we used artificial contraception. Got pregnant on the pill and lost the baby.

NFP was such a struggle. My biggest gripe was that it sure seemed like it was much harder on me than on her. Sometimes I wished she felt the frustration I felt, instead of anger at me for whining or trying to have sex when I KNEW we agreed not to.

We have pretty much settled down in the past ten years. She charts and I interpret. So, it’s my decision, not hers. That really seems to help. Funny, but we always agreed when we were trying to conceive and agreed when we were trying to avoid, but splitting the duties meant that she isn’t always refusing me - I am looking at facts and applying rules. Getting older probably helps, too. :o

It’s good for a marriage if it is a burden taken on together. It’s good to come to grips with the fertile times and, with mutual respect and a desire to not "push the envelope, find ways to let each partner know that they are loved and wanted.
 
There are deals for Clearblue easy, BUT you’d have to be into couponing and following deals- a little time consuming. I know you do not have time. I found a generic version; I have used similar tests and found they work fine.

amazon.com/Wondfo-Step-Ovulation-Strips-50-Count/dp/B004IJHDN6 /ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top"]amazon.com/Wondfo-Step-Ovulation-Strips-50-Count/dp/B004IJHDN6 /ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
 
I really want us to take a class together. The CCL does not exist here in this “land the Church forgot” where we live. But I know that we can take the online course. I don’t know if he’s going to get as much out of it as we would being face to face with an instructor and other husbands.

He is willing to take a class. He has always been good about learning in classroom settings. He attended a breastfeeding class with me when I was pregnant with our first, and the support he gave me, with the knowledge that he had, was invaluable. When he understands and believes in something, he is such a great partner to me.

NFP seems almost like a dance, and if only one person knows it, they just drag the other person around and make them feel resentful.
The online teaching can be just as good as face to face, and the lessons can certainly help. They address some of the theological aspects as well as the method. The teaching couples also offer some ongoing support (one on one) that is always helpful.

Some students find it is easier to open up a (especially with the husbands) when it is over the internet.

Something to consider…
 
We have pretty much settled down in the past ten years. She charts and I interpret. So, it’s my decision, not hers. That really seems to help. Funny, but we always agreed when we were trying to conceive and agreed when we were trying to avoid, but splitting the duties meant that she isn’t always refusing me - I am looking at facts and applying rules. Getting older probably helps, too. :o

It’s good for a marriage if it is a burden taken on together. It’s good to come to grips with the fertile times and, with mutual respect and a desire to not "push the envelope, find ways to let each partner know that they are loved and wanted.
This a thousand times over. Hubby and I took a CCL class and husband’s involvement was stressed like crazy. Another thing to do is let him take the temps in the morning. Allowing him to (name removed by moderator)ut and interpret data will make him a partner in your fertility, so you’re not the big naysayer all the time.

Prayers heading your way!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top