T
Topper17
Guest
Hi Jon,
Thanks for your response.
“How do you defend Luther’s ‘authority’ to change EVEN ONE Catholic Sacrament, let alone some number between 7 and 4?”
To be continued
Thanks for your response.
From the extreme brevity and vagueness of your response I concluded that you were not interested in providing a more complete explanation of your views. As for your views of the Sacraments, I appreciate them as far as they go.Then you could have asked me to elaborate, instead of attempting to speak for me.
I never, ever minimize sacraments, as the post you initially responded to at least implied. More directly, I would not, could not be a member of virtually any other protestant community specifically because of sacraments. I would be Catholic or Orthodox first.
If you want to satisfy yourself as to Tillich’s qualifications, it would take you a couple of minutes to do so.The two paragraphs are connected. To say that Tillich was a “protestant theologian” is at best vague.
Ok, so who, specifically speaks for Protestantism as a whole? If not Tillich then who? It seems to me that when I make comments about Protestantism in general, the next thing I know, somebody posts something about the Lutheran Confessions, AS IF they speak for Protestantism as a whole.There are lots of theologians from protestant communions that do not speak for other protestants communions.
Indeed ALL Protestants are ‘set aside’, Lutherans and Anglicans included. ALL have reduced the number of Sacraments from 7 to some much smaller number. Some down to three, some to two, and of course some to zero. ALL Protestant’s, including Lutherans, have cast aside Sacraments.Additionally, when it comes to sacraments, Lutherans are indeed set apart, with the exception of Anglicans.
I completely fail to understand how the comments of a Protestant Theologian about the Protestants and the Sacraments can be seen as irrelevant in a conversation about Protestants and the Sacraments. I do though understand how you don’t like what he said.Now, if Tillich wanted to speak out on the disturbing trends of his communion, that’s fine. I already know the disturbing trends in mine, however, without his help. And since the question you asked is about the sacraments, other protestants are irrelevant to the question.
As you wish – but I doubt it.Not that I’ve seen a plethora of positive comments from you anyway, but then I guess our conversing is over.
I am shocked that you would bring up Augsburg. Would you like to revisit the comments made by Marius, Holborn, Schweibert, and Carroll about how the Augsburg Confession was basically an attempt to deceive and to cover over the differences between Catholicism and Lutheranism? Those quotes can be posted again if you like. Furthermore, I have to wonder whether your representation of Ratizinger’s quote is ‘accurate’, or if is more like the ‘fact’ that the Confessions do not speak of anything but the ‘office’ of the papacy.It is our confessional document. Not surprised that you don’t consider them a valid Christian doctrine. You are aware that Cardinal Ratzinger pondered the idea of Augsburg being considered a catholic document.
What separates us Jon IS YOUR CONFESSIONS. Do you honestly believe that the RCC and the LCMS can reach FULL COMMUNION without a substantial and formal ‘revision’ of the FC, or at least those portions which are so blatantly anti-Catholic? We HAVE discussed those portions of the FC and I don’t think that many people were satisfied with your representation of them in that it went directly against the clear sense of the text. In addition, it seems that your attitude is in opposition to your ordained leadership in the form of Preus and Fisk.So let me understand; you want to discuss what separates us, but you do not want to discuss what the confessions say about what separates us.
“Balderdash” – Is that like “Horsefeathers” with a snobby British accent? Please don’t tell me you don’t like it when I tell you what you think or believe and then INACCURATELY tell me what I know or don’t know, especially when you are wrong.! I stand by what I said 100%, and like everything else I say, am more than willing to amplify with actual substance that backs up my point of view.Balderdash, and you know it. I referenced his Small and Large Catechism, but… oh, that’s right, you don’t want to discuss that. Anything Luther except what we consider part of our teaching.
That is the second time in a row you have avoided the question, which is again:Read what Melanchthon wrote. It explains the numbering of the sacraments, and how we consider them.
“How do you defend Luther’s ‘authority’ to change EVEN ONE Catholic Sacrament, let alone some number between 7 and 4?”
To be continued