- Confession takes care of mortal sin
- Re: converts to the CC. If a man is unmarried, he can, participate in all the sacraments. Look at even late vocations where a man’s wife died and he enters the priesthood. Yes Holy Orders is the only sacrament a woman can’t participate in. But all the others are accessable.
Agreed; yet, that wasn’t your claim: you claimed that those who are ‘in’ the Church “can celebrate all the sacraments in the Catholic Church” (putatively, in order to demonstrate that an inability to celebrate a sacrament is evidence of being ‘out’ of the Church). I demonstrated that your premise was faulty: not all who are ‘in’ the Church can celebrate all the sacraments (and therefore, the inability to participate in a sacrament is not evidence of being ‘out’ of the Church).
Really? What about being in and out of grace with God?
Irrelevant: we’re talking about your assertion of ‘in’ and ‘out’ of the Church – there are many who are (by your definition) ‘in’ the Church who are ‘out of grace with God’. The two notions are not dependent on each other, per se.
I would suggest you completely misunderstand me and the CCC section I quoted. If a person’s conscience is in ignorance, and that ignorance is not innocent ignorance, iow, if [
1791 (
Catechism of the Catholic Church - Paragraph # 1791) is the case, then they have no escape clause for their ignorance in what they do that is wrong.
Perhaps I
am misunderstanding you. However, it sure seems like you’re attempting to use 1791 without appealing to its context – that personal responsibility for ignorance is due to “tak[ing] little trouble to find out what is true and good, or … through the habit of committing sin.” Since you assert that these two cases are
not what you’re claiming, then you’re cherry-picking 1791 in order to make it say what you want it to say, without allowing it to speak on its own behalf. Does this mean that I misunderstand the CCC? How silly…
I showed where I didn’t misquote the CCC.
My mistake. You showed where you’re consciously mischaracterizing it.
In all seriousness, though:
you provided this citation to the CCC, and I’m simply asking you to address the fact that this paragraph provides two conditions which are present if one’s behavior applies to the assertions being made therein. You have said that you are not asserting that
either condition holds. If the conditions aren’t met, and yet you still assert that the assertion holds, what other conclusion can I draw than that you are attempting to cherry-pick the CCC and misuse it through context-free proof-texting?
If you quote me please quote accurately and not with an agenda
I’m sorry – did I misquote you? No… I quoted what you wrote. Did I mischaracterize what you’re saying? I don’t think so. The issue at hand was my assertion that the criterion of ‘full knowledge’ for mortal sin is not one that can be categorically applied to all Protestants; when you asked whether I “assume that with all protestants”, I replied that I do not, but that
your statements have the appearance of painting all Protestants with the same broad stroke. (When you do that, of course, it’s easy to disprove your assertions: if you claim something for
all, I only have to show it fails for
one or
some in order to refute your claim.) You claim that you don’t have to restate your ‘caveats’ in each post, but I demonstrated where your ‘caveats’ seem to implicate all Protestants. That’s not “quoting you with an agenda”, that’s asking you to be judged according to your own words. If that’s uncomfortable for you… if that feels like an ‘agenda’… well, then perhaps you might ask yourself whether a re-evaluation of your position is in order…!
Tell me how this quote (to pick just one of the quotes presented) is somehow not applicable to use today?
No problem. (You should really stop lobbing these softballs at me; they’re too easy to hit out of the park.

)
Augustine is talking about people whose parents are formal heretics, and who have either witnessed their rejection of the Church or at least have been being taught by them subsequent to their sin. Plausibly, then, the bulk (if not all of) their family is Catholic, and their parents’ estrangement from the Church is visible to them as such. For these children of formal heretics, then, Augustine hopes for re-establishment of communion with the Church.
Yet,
this is not applicable to use today, per se. We’re not talking about folks whose families converted to Protestantism in the last few years; rather, we’re talking in general about Protestants: that is, about folks who have been Protestants – and their parents and grandparents and great-grandparents have been Protestants – for generations!
And one can’t be a heretic unless they are baptised…agreed? That means all the great heresies I posted earlier, are ALL baptised Christians by definition.
Agreed. Yet, the difference is between those who, in their heresy, left the Church, and those who never were in full communion with the Church.
Critical difference, there!
Re: utilizing ECF’s today,
In listening to the stories told by many of the great converts to the CC, they say the ECF’s played a huge part in their journey to the CC.
Agreed. The ECFs are a valuable source of information. I’m not claiming that their words are without value; just that the way you’re using their words, to condemn all Protestants who live today, is without merit.
