S
spauline
Guest
Dear Della,The reason there are flood stories in far flung places is that the human race spread to those places AFTER the flood event not before. So naturally, the descendants of Noah and his sons would have it as a part of their mythologies.
Human beings nearly went extinct about 70 to 80,000 (I believe that is the numbers) years ago, and scientists are still figuring out why. It may be that was the time of the flood, which took place everywhere humans lived within the Fertile Crescent, before they spread out across the globe.
I think your statement about that the tale is in various cultures because they spread out AFTER the flood is a good point. however, I am not so sure I can accept that the Flood would have happened about 80,000 years ago. I have trouble thinking that human beings with souls have been around for that long. I realize, though, that that could be erroneous, as I talked with a former Siek (Indian pseudo-Christian) who explicitly stated that the Indian people have historical records of wars taking place around 10,000 BC (and he confirms that they were human beings and not merely animals). However, my gut feeling is that, whereas the earth may be billions of years old, human history properly began like the Bible seems to relate, i.e., about 4,000 BC. I believe this for one reason because I am a postmillie and see the appropriateness of human history being, more or less, 7,000 years total, a “day is as a thousand years.” Of course, the impending Millennium of which I speak is not Fundie chiliasm but the Catholic mystics’ “Age of Peace,” (that is, the Triumph of Our Lady of Fatima’s Immaculate Heart).
God Bless,
Scott