Normalizing suicide

  • Thread starter Thread starter JimG
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was incredibly disturbing to read, particularly the part about having children bless him.

He was sick and needed help, and no one helped him.
 
The Seattle Archdiocese released a statement that all the Church pastors were told was that he was dying, not that he was going through with assisted suicide, and that once the pastor learned the truth he went to speak with the man about the Church’s position on the dignity of life.
 
To be precise, SOME humans BELIEVE this. Without any evidence. If someone believes it, and wishes to extend their suffering, it is their decision, and should be RESPECTED as such. No one should prevent them from doing so. But respect should be given to those, too, who do NOT share this belief.
 
Last edited:
I feel that I need to add something to this conversation. If you (personally) believe that it is wrong to have assisted suicide (or mercy killing), by all means live accordingly. Your decision must be respected, and you should not be forced to “opt out”. You (in general) demand respect, and should be given every respect. But you don’t turn around and give identical respect to those who disagree. This is the problem.

You must give respect if you wish to be respected. And not just in the case of assisted suicide. Everywhere. Be it gay marriage, extramarital sex, or any other “immoral” behavior. If it does not force you to participate, don’t chastise them. You have no “right” to be spared of knowing about these “immoral” acts. As the old bumper sticker said: “If you don’t like it, then don’t do it.”
 
I feel that I need to add something to this conversation. If you (personally) believe that it is wrong to have assisted suicide (or mercy killing), by all means live accordingly. Your decision must be respected, and you should not be forced to “opt out”. You (in general) demand respect, and should be given every respect. But you don’t turn around and give identical respect to those who disagree. This is the problem.

You must give respect if you wish to be respected. And not just in the case of assisted suicide. Everywhere. Be it gay marriage, extramarital sex, or any other “immoral” behavior. If it does not force you to participate, don’t chastise them. You have no “right” to be spared of knowing about these “immoral” acts. As the old bumper sticker said: “If you don’t like it, then don’t do it.”
From a strictly secular perspective , I feel I need to add something.

The countries where they allow assisted suicide always start out with “person in their right mind, only if they’re terminal, only if they’re signed off by five psychiatrists and only after a waiting period”

And then…these protections get eroded away. Rather than five psychiatrists, now it’s one psychiatrist and a NP. instead of the person signing off for themself, somebody else can be the proxy who’s “totally sure” the person would want this. Oh, and they no longer need to be terminal…

And here’s the other problem—do we revere life, or not? Do we intervene for the suicidal teenager anymore? Why? Why not?
If the proxy from the previous paragraph can decide who lives and who dies, why can’t I? Or you?

No matter how much you want to soothe yourself, there’s no way to put the brakes on once this is leagalized.
 
I feel that I need to add something to this conversation. If you (personally) believe that it is wrong to have assisted suicide (or mercy killing), by all means live accordingly. Your decision must be respected, and you should not be forced to “opt out”. You (in general) demand respect, and should be given every respect. But you don’t turn around and give identical respect to those who disagree. This is the problem.

You must give respect if you wish to be respected. And not just in the case of assisted suicide. Everywhere. Be it gay marriage, extramarital sex, or any other “immoral” behavior. If it does not force you to participate, don’t chastise them. You have no “right” to be spared of knowing about these “immoral” acts. As the old bumper sticker said: “If you don’t like it, then don’t do it.”
Classical liberal philosophy at work, and no reason we need to abide by it.
 
This is so disturbing. This love affair with death the culture has makes me both sick and absolutely heartbroken.
 
No matter how much you want to soothe yourself, there’s no way to put the brakes on once this is leagalized.
Just like there is no hammer, which can only be applied to the head of nail", but cannot be applied to the head of a human. But, yes, even is there is no absolute, 100% always working solution, we can make it to work better.

Let me go back to: “do we revere life, or not?”. My personal opinion is “NO”. I value good, pleasant, comfortable life and I do NOT value “mere vegetative, painful existence”.
 
I saw this story the other day, it is very sad. Apparently the Archdiocese is “reviewing” the blessing:


The archdiocese’s statement is a pretty weak one. I do not believe for a second that the “parish leaders” were unaware of his situation, at least not all of them. The fact that the media was there to record this blessing and several parishioners, including the leader of the music ministry there (who is listed in the parish bulletin as a “parish leader”) were on the record doing interviews does not make this a believable claim. We’ll see if anything comes of this “review”, but I am doubting it.
 
Then I hope you’re never in a position of authority
I would never seek authority, so don’t worry. But even if I would be FORCED to take authority, you have nothing to fear. I would never force you to participate in a lifestyle that you would not wish to pursue. You would have to endure that others who prefer it participating in it, but you would not be forced to participate. 🙂 That is the difference. You would force others to conform to your preferences, but not the other way 'round.
 
Oh this story is nearly as sick as it is possible to get

Catholics and a Catholic priest praying over him knowing he is going to kill himself? The kids have just received our Lord in Holy Communion?

One other weird guy calling himself a husband?

Are they going for heretic bingo?

Rotten to the core
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top