From a strictly secular perspective , I feel I need to add something.I feel that I need to add something to this conversation. If you (personally) believe that it is wrong to have assisted suicide (or mercy killing), by all means live accordingly. Your decision must be respected, and you should not be forced to “opt out”. You (in general) demand respect, and should be given every respect. But you don’t turn around and give identical respect to those who disagree. This is the problem.
You must give respect if you wish to be respected. And not just in the case of assisted suicide. Everywhere. Be it gay marriage, extramarital sex, or any other “immoral” behavior. If it does not force you to participate, don’t chastise them. You have no “right” to be spared of knowing about these “immoral” acts. As the old bumper sticker said: “If you don’t like it, then don’t do it.”
Classical liberal philosophy at work, and no reason we need to abide by it.I feel that I need to add something to this conversation. If you (personally) believe that it is wrong to have assisted suicide (or mercy killing), by all means live accordingly. Your decision must be respected, and you should not be forced to “opt out”. You (in general) demand respect, and should be given every respect. But you don’t turn around and give identical respect to those who disagree. This is the problem.
You must give respect if you wish to be respected. And not just in the case of assisted suicide. Everywhere. Be it gay marriage, extramarital sex, or any other “immoral” behavior. If it does not force you to participate, don’t chastise them. You have no “right” to be spared of knowing about these “immoral” acts. As the old bumper sticker said: “If you don’t like it, then don’t do it.”
I read some time back that Dutch senior citizens are feeling enormous pressure not to “ burden society” with their presenceYes. The right to die will become the duty to die, I fear.
Just like there is no hammer, which can only be applied to the head of nail", but cannot be applied to the head of a human. But, yes, even is there is no absolute, 100% always working solution, we can make it to work better.No matter how much you want to soothe yourself, there’s no way to put the brakes on once this is leagalized.
Then I hope you’re never in a position of authorityLet me go back to: “do we revere life, or not?”. My personal opinion is “NO”.
DisgustingI find it uplifting and dignified.
I would never seek authority, so don’t worry. But even if I would be FORCED to take authority, you have nothing to fear. I would never force you to participate in a lifestyle that you would not wish to pursue. You would have to endure that others who prefer it participating in it, but you would not be forced to participate.Then I hope you’re never in a position of authority
You opinion is respected. But don’t worry, if you would ever be in the situation where you would rather continue to suffer, your decision will be respected.Disgusting