D
dkushner
Guest
I’d like to update my previous post. While the Baronius Press Douay-Rheims is now bound in bonded leather, I’ve still grown to love it and decided to not return it. The bonded leather seems to be high-quality, and the text block is very well bound. The overall quality is excellent.Just an update. The Baronius Press Bibles are NO LONGER MADE OF GENUINE LEATHER. I just purchased a supposedly ‘leather bound’ version:
amazon.com/gp/product/0954563115
…and upon receiving it I was shocked by the cheap feel and appearance of the ‘leather’ binding.I contacted Baronius Press directly and they confirmed that their Bibles are no longer made of genuine leather, but cheaper bonded leather. I do not know when this transition to cheaper bonded leather happened, but I believe it was a recent change. Strangely the price is still the same as the older genuine leather versions.
Interestingly enough Baronius used to extol the virtues of their ‘real Moroccan Leather Bibles’. Here’s a snipped from a site that has not updated their description yet:
"No Bible should ever be covered in cheap materials. The Holy Word of God should only be covered in elegant, long-lasting materials such as leather.
When choosing the covering material for our Bible, we were faced with two options: either to use bonded leather which is cheap (and would enable us to advertise our edition as “leather bound”), or real leather at many times the cost. Needless to say, for such an edition, there was no option but to use real Moroccan leather.
Real Moroccan leather is excellent, strong and hard-wearing. For hundreds of years Moroccan leather has been dyed on the grain side and boarded by hand or machine to bring up the grain in a bird’s-eye effect. It probably originated with the Arabs in North Africa as an alum-tanned product, typically dyed red. Hard, but pliable, it is valued especially for high quality bookbinding where durability and beauty are prized.
Bonded leather is made from waste leather cuts that are grated and bonded together with latex, then embossed to provide a “genuine leather” look. A bonded leather Bible generally lasts about 10 years under “normal” conditions. We often hear of cheap Bibles that have a problem with the leather “chipping” (usually around the edges). Unfortunately, this is a rather typical occurrence for bonded leather Bibles as the latex disintegrates, which is why the Baronius edition uses only the finest Moroccan real leather. "
Oh, well…back to Amazon it goes. I will try to find a good old second-hand Douay Rheims from the 50’s.
David
While I’d still love to see a genuine leather version by Baronius, I wholeheartedly recommend the current Douay-Rheims published by Baronius Press.
David